Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beatleswho, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I own some Grado's and a set of Philips Fidelio x2. Both are around $250 to $300........If you want to go cheaper, I would recommend the Edifier h850's. For less than $50 they are offer a set of cans.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you intend to use the headphones with portable devices the Audioquest NightOwl or NightHawk will be better. The Audioquest headphones are low impedance (around 26 ohms) and more efficient than the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. The Senns need to be used with an amp. The Audioquest can be used ampless directly plugged into a portable or laptop.

4. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

I have the Senn 6XX and the Audioquest Nighthawks and they are definitely different and while both are good I prefer the AQ's. I am more of a speaker guy and the AQ have more of a speaker like presentation and more body versus the Senns which are more forward but yet are still easy to listen to. I think the AQ are the most comfortable phones out there and that sways me as well. I like both just for a change of pace. The AQ matches very well with the Dragonfly but can also be driven right from your phone. The Nightowl is the closed back version if you need the isolation.

5. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

What About the Sennheiser Hd559? I found a very good offer!

6. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have a Dragonfly Red that I use sometimes with my computer and both my Senn HD650's and Grado 325e's sound good with it although I give the edge to the Grados. I do agree with those that say headphones are very personal so you might not agree.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Sennheiser 55x and 59x series of headphones are good. Pleasant to listen to. Smooth. Bass is neutral and not boosted. Mids are in line with bass and treble. Treble is not boosted or harsh. It's good pleasant sound for a headphone. Just don't expect them to have bumping bass or hyper-detail. They're good balanced good listening headphones for most music. They're not what I would consider very easy to drive, but not difficult either. Your NAD amp will drive them well.

The HD55x and HD59x headphones are open. That means you'll hear other sounds that are in the room. If the baby starts crying or the wife is calling for you you'll hear it as long as the music isn't too loud. Closed headphones isolate much more than open headphones. Open headphones generally sound better than closed headphones. In general, open headphones will have a wider and more "open" soundstage than similar closed headphones.

The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 are a step up from the HD55x and 59x headphones. But also a step up in price. If you can find a HD600 or HD650 for a good price that you can afford they'd be a good option. Your NAD amp should drive the HD600 or HD650 just fine.

Gardo and beatleswho like this.
  8. I've got my Sennheiser 600's running through a Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone amp with great synergy, but I have run them through my phone and tablet via 1/4"-1/8" adaptor. Although it doesn't sound as amazing as the Valhalla 2, it sounds a heck of a lot better than the average earbuds. A Dragonfly-type DAC might also be great, although I can't speak from personal experience. Due to the open-back setting, I would not recommend this for travel, commuting, open-office, et al., type of situations.

Happy hunting!

Bill

9. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I use to own both and couldn't tell much difference in sound "character" between the HD600 and HD650. Either one is fine.

Gardo likes this.
  10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Massdrop has the Sennheiser HD 6XX available now through April 29 for $199. Not sure if they ship to your country (Chile)...

Gardo, David Lowe and 2point1 like this.
  11. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advices and guidance! Is great to be part of this forum with people who really know and understand about what they are saying.
    I finally bought the Sennheiser HD600.
    Should be here in a couple of days. I will let you know my opinion!

NOS300B, punkmusick, 2point1 and 4 others like this.
  12. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Anyone own or test B&W PX wireless or B&W P5 wireless headphones? I own a pair of old wired P5s which I like a lot. Any thoughts on the B&W wireless phones vs. others?

13. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Decided to go with B&W PX Wireless headphones. Tested last night and amazing right out of the box, almost too good to use with my iPod touch. A major upgrade in sound to my P5s and I would highly recommend. My Arcam integrated amp doesn't have an optical out so I purchased a TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, Digital Optical TOSLINK and 3.5mm Wireless Audio Adapter for TV / Home Stereo System - aptX Low Latency. Doesn't seem to be any high end transmitters out there (anyone familiar with anything else?) Will test for a couple of days with my living room system.

14. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Have headphones ever been manufactured with a packaged mod giving an option to convert from open to closed with adjustable
    (by turning) outer caps or a changeable open to closed clip-on cap design.

Or is that a terrible idea?

15. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I like my Audio Technica ATH-m50s a lot. The current version has a detachable cable, which I wish I had. Some people don't like the slightly boosted bass, but for headphones, I do. I've also read good things about the ATH-m40s; sounds like they don't have the bass bump that the m50's do; some people like the m40s better than the m50s. I also have a pair of the Sennheiser 595s, and they're very good; more balanced and detailed. I have no doubt the 600s and 650s are excellent, even though I haven't heard them.

16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have HD650 and don't think it's colored to sound warmer.

Gardo likes this.
  17. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Have you heard the 600's?

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

No I haven't, can't compare them unfortunately.

19. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Ne neither. Again I was just going by what I have read on them many, many times. :)

punkmusick likes this.
  20. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I will jump in as I just recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and I think they sound very good. I believe they used to retail for around $250 but now you'll find them in the $150 and they sound awesome for their price, and would probably do very well against more expensive headphones. The soundstage is impressive for a closed back and they are comfortable, both a breath of fresh air from my M50's.

I will warn you, out of the box the treble will seem very prominent and harsh, with spikes in the region of sibilance as well. At times it made me consider returning them. 4 weeks later the treble has calmed down quite a bit. Very good bass response, and I like the mids, although some claim the mids are recessed. They do have a V shaped signature, but the mids are fine for me, maybe just slightly recessed and slightly thin, nothing bad though.

There's a 32 ohm version (the one I got, so I can use it easily with a phone and laptop), an 80 ohm version and a 250 ohm version. From what I've read, the 32 ohm and 250 ohm version sound very similar, and are closer to neutral, but the 80 ohm version for some reason has more bass, which makes the treble less prominent, but the mids are apparently more recessed. The 80 ohm version is the most popular. I recommend them, their sound signature makes music more fun to listen to as they have bass and treble energy. They're also very detailed. I've heard a lot of good things about the AKG 5xx series, they're in the same price range and have a neutral sound signature.

21. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

I currently own these headphones:
    Sennheiser HD650
    Sennheiser IE80 (in ear)
    Grado RS2e
    Grado GH2
    ...and I love and use them all for different reasons.
    650 were my first serious headphone. have them since 10 years. they are just good at everything you throw at them, but lack character or personality.
    IE80 are my to go headphones for metro, train, outside and work. good enough sounding and discrete.
    RS2e were my first Grado phones. they have a very unique character. great for rock, acoustic guitars, live recordings and vinyl listening. they sound very real, as if you were sitting infront of the band at a small venue.
    GH2 are my other Grados, and they seem to have an unique character as well. more bass than RS2e, nicer vocals, bigger stage, but lack the intimacy of the former. while hifi recordings sound spectacular on them, badly recorded songs sound even more awful.
    While I enjoy all these cans very much:
    I would recommend to you either the RS2e or HD650 for a start in the headphone game.

for amplification, I either use a dragonfly red or the headphone out of a NAD C352. Both work great, but make the headphones sound different again. dragonfly red seems to offer more resolution and stereo separation, the NAD gives me a warmer, more analogue sounding presentation.

David Lowe likes this.
  22. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

I recently purchased a pair of DT770 80 ohm phones to be used exclusively for recording and monitoring. I find the sound quite balanced. The 250 ohm version requires too much power to drive unless you are going into a board or use a headphone amp (I have a home Pro Tools setup). Actually, the DT770s are really fine for general home listening too.

bcaulf likes this.
  23. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I take them to work with me where the 32 ohm version sounds fine out of my phone, and it’s shorter cable was a plus for me. I think they’re great headphones for the price they sell for these days, compared to the Momentum 2 and B&W P7 they would hold up quite well I imagine, those two are about 2x the price. I was going to try to make these work as portable phones but I don’t think I can walk around with them on...but that’s fine. I got earbuds for that :)

24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm seeing Sennheiser HD600 open box new/other on E-bay for $229.....
    What kind of sale prices might one expect for a non open box.....
    Recommended seller?

25. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I was going to recommend these too. I know the OP has already made a decision and he's chosen well but I picked up a set of these not long ago and they are truly superb and, for the price, near unbeatable...

I have some Senn 650's, some AKG 701's, some AKG 727's and some B&W P7's and the Beyer DT 770 Pro's measure up extremely well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.