Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

I don't believe the iPhono2 has a tube. It uses J-FET tech and ifi uses the "TubeState" marketing term to imply that the J-FET tech is "tubey".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Heckto35 likes this.
  2. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Thanks for the clarification, Mel.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

From what I read, it does get hot and is recommended to always be turned on. There's no "off" switch. People recommend it to be turned on for at least a couple of hours before use.

Personally, I don't believe in burn-in so I'd just plug it in whenever I feel like listening to something and save money on my electric bill.

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I just walked up and felt mine, which sits on top of a receiver, and it's barely warm to the touch. Only been on for about 15 minutes at this point though.

I leave mine on constantly. I don't have specs but I'd be shocked if this thing pulled > 1W at idle.

5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

anyone tried a Monacor SP6?
    rather good if you forget it costs
    £20

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  6. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Forget about all phono preamplifiers, an Aesthetix lo Eclipse leave all miles behind. Not cheap, about 20.000 Pound but not for a real audiophile.

FashionBoy likes this.
  7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Although I don't have an iPhono, don't worry about tubes. You probably don't even have to power cycle it.

8. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

Dropping this little gem into a thread about a $500 phono pre is pretty much a textbook threadcrap.

9. gov

gov Forum Resident

Why? After reading that post I decided to up my budget 20 fold and in fact leave everything miles behind.

displayname and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Is it for a fake audiophile, then?

11. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Sorry, I meant " not cheap but no problem for a real audiophile". To be an audiophile is expensive, save on cars, sigarettes, wine, whiskey and you have the money within an eyewink.

12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Actually, it looks very impressive for a $500 preamp, given the wide range of loading options.

displayname likes this.
  13. Further

Further Forum Resident

I was seriously considering ordering a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII until I heard about this iPhono 2! I haven't read a bad review yet and this might be just what I'm looking for in a new preamp.

Has anyone compared these two or can offer any thoughts one way or the other?

14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Just get the iPhono 2 from MusicDirect or somewhere with a generous return policy and compare them both :) I'm sure Lounge would understand as well but can't speak to their return policy. As I understand it they SHOULD sound very different just based on how they work so differently from each other (though I cannot technically explain why so don't ask, this is just what I've come to understand reading about them).

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You can find a clean PS audio GCPH for around $500.

I can't find anything that makes me want to replace mine.

16. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I read elsewhere that if your price point is $300, the Lounge LCR MKIII and the Vincent Pho-8 are going to be the best in that budget. But if you can up your budget to $500, the iPhono 2 is worth every penny and more.

I plan on skipping straight to the iPhono 2 when I upgrade.

SandAndGlass and HiFi Guy like this.
  17. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I used the IFI 1 and found it faultless .
    IFI 2 must be truly excellent.
    It is silent. With volume all the way up
    No hiss.
    You would be forgiven for thinking
    That it was not on.
    It is ultimately adjustable.
    The various curves are handy .
    You will be able to get the best from any cartridge
    The bass response is as good as any stage i have heard. And it's quite sweet
    Overall.
    If you go onto google IFI have a site which explains in detail the various settings.
    Deeply impressive.

18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I just upgraded to the 2.

My only question is the gain settings which are slightly different. I have a Shure MX97 with a Jico. The recommendation is 40db of gain but now my options are 36 and 48? Is 48 too high?

19. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I would try both and see how you feel about it in your system. I would think you'd rather go a little lower than higher, but I don't really have experience or detailed thoughts supporting that.

20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You shouldn't have an issue with 36dB. Also, the iPhono 2 can make believers out of people that don't believe in break in. Give it a week, and it settles down. I'm three weeks or so in and the iPhono 2 is one of the most impressive phono stages I've ever heard. It's also the quietest.

displayname likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

What do you think of it so far?

22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I've only listened to two records to test at 36dB and 48dB. Decided to stick with 36 and just turn it up a notch.

Out of the the box, there are some noticeable differences from the 1. The soundstage does sound wider and the bass is more precise. I'll be happy if it improves even more on break-in. It's already very quiet.

I suppose my only criticism is that the device seems hot to touch when left running. Perhaps due to all the changes in circuitry?

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for that. Which other preamps have you tried?

24. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I'd have to look at what I had before the first model. It was something from Cambridge Audio.

I tend not to mess with the Phono Stage.

25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm becoming more and more interested in the iphono 2. However, I'm using a low output (0,5 mv) Grado moving iron meaning I need to use the usual mm settings (47k and 100 uf) along with at least 60 dB of gain. Is that possible with the ifi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.