Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You can get 60 dB and 47k no problem. The 100uf capacitance is in the arm wiring so you should be golden.

displayname likes this.
  2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Ok thanks, but would I be able to add another 100 uf of capacitance to experiment with things?

3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It is. My AT cartridge is .5 mv out and sounds superb through the iPhono V2. 60 dB gain, 100 ohm load. Quiet as a mouse fart, too.

4. toddrhodes

You can set the iFi to 100, 200, or 300 pf.

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm not sure if the capacitance loading has any effect on the MC input. You could contact iFi or try one on Music Direct's 60 day money back guarantee.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Yes I know. My question is whether this is possible while using a high MC gain setting of 60 or 72 dB.

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yes but that's on the MM side. @Nielsoe is wondering if the capacitance settings affect the MC input as well. His Grado is kind of odd- a low output moving iron, so you need the gain of an MC and the loading of an MM. I'd bet the iPhono 2 would be perfect for the Grado.

Nielsoe likes this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I live in Denmark so I'll have to use a European retailer. I'll contact ifi to get the details right.

9. toddrhodes

I always thought the capacitance was "active" on both inputs, it just made no difference for MC carts. Either way, a good question.

10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, I simply don't know. I've mailed ifi and I will of course let you guys know their answer.

Strat-Mangler and toddrhodes like this.
  11. toddrhodes

Sounds good!

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Once you get it, let us know how it compares to your Project TubeBox DS preamp. So few reviews out there.

13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm not totally set on the iphono yet. First step is this technical issue (if indeed there is an issue). As a matter of fact I'm very happy with the Project in particular after I purchased a no name linear PSU for it. That really upped things.

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I received an answer from ifi. It should be possible to combine 60 or 72 dB of gain with 100 or 200 pF of capacitive load according to them. However, going through the instructions (which they refer to in their mail) I still can't see how it's possible to combine the two! So I mailed them again and await their answer. To be continued...

15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You can flip the 100uf dip switch to add that capacitance to the capacitance that is in the wiring leading to the iPhono 2. It was unclear to me if that would actually work on the MC side. Apparently it does, so it should mate perfectly to your Grado.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I have ordered one of these based on comments here. Is anyone using this with a AT 150 MLX cart? If so, could you post what settings you found best for the i Phono 2 ?

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Again, let us know what you think of it. :)

18. toddrhodes

I used both the V1 and V2 with a 150MLX, still use the V1 with the 150 upstairs. 47k, 48 dB gain (36 on the V2 wasn't enough for my tastes but YMMV), and 100 pf capacitance is where I settled. I've tried all of the EQ curves and prefer RIAA + subsonic filter, though that was due to a different issue that is now resolved so I may disable the subsonic filter at some point and reassess.

George Blair likes this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Hey! I guess that actually answers my question. May I ask how you came to this conclusion?

20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Because they replied that you could run high gain and add capacitive loading. I was unsure if the capacitive loading options were active on the MC input, and the instructions aren't clear. Their reply is however.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, their answer is:
    "Hi there Niels,

Thank you for your interest in our products. The iPhono 2 has 36dB to 72dB gain, so yes it is possible. "

And then they refer to step 1 to 4 in the instructions and that's when things get unclear. I do not think I'm getting a clear answer in regards to the MM capacitive load option/MC gain option match. I'm afraid they are overlooking the unusual low output/mm setting needs of my Grado.

22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Ahhh. That makes better sense now. The uncertainty continues.

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

HiFi Guy likes this.
  24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You're right and here is ifi's answer to my second mail:
    "Both MM and MC Input have a default capacitive load of 100pF in place (also used to prevent radio reception).

So, there is no need to explicitly set 100pF. This is why 100pF is the lowest setting on MM.

With that said, presuming the cartridge is a Grado Statement 1 MC, with 2 Ohm Resistance and 2mH Inductance the cartridge is very insensitive to any loading and the difference in having the 100p F load or not is < 0.001dB in the audio range and < 0.5dB at around 750kHz, so it can be safely ignored."

So now I guess there's really no excuse not to put my Projest up for sale. I'm almost set on doing so.

displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  25. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I have a the second version of the iphono 1 that came with the better power supply. I've been very curious about the iphono 2. But I can't find much for impressions where someone upgraded from the iphono 1 to iphono 2. Any of you in this thread with that experience? Was it a worthwhile upgrade? If so, where were the improvements?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.