Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If I ever think of it or get time to do it, I'll pull my V1 from upstairs, and compare it to the V2 downstairs.

Top of my head, remembering from 2+ months ago impressions, having run both off the same iPower PSU:
    V2 - more bass, better decay and presentation, quiet as a mouse fart even at high gain settings with LOMC carts
    V1 - bass-shy, closed-in presentation, better gain options (IMO), quiet but I feel the V2 is improved in this aspect

The V1 is a good phono preamp but outclassed by my old Budgie tube pre and a phonomena I, no external PSU.

The V2 is categorically better than all three. I'm frankly interested if something significantly more expensive is "significantly" better than the V2. I realize that's all relative and you don't know what you don't have until you hear it, but if it's any indication of my level of excitement for the V2, I have zero interest in finding something better.

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Michael Fremer makes that comparison here:

The Even More Amazing ifi Micro iPhono 2 MM/MC Phono Preamplifier

displayname and vs_jk like this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. You could easily spend more money and end up with with inferior results.

toddrhodes likes this.
  4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I know these "l just sold my... and ordered the .... today" posts are useless but I just sold my Project and ordered the ifi iphono 2 today :)

Manimal, HiFi Guy, Joe Spivey and 2 others like this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Congratulations! You should love it. You can't find a bad work about it anywhere- with good reason. You'll need to figure on a week intil it settles in. It just keeps getting better from there.

displayname likes this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Thanks! Settling it in just means leaving it turned on I suppose...

7. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I'm on week two with mine and I couldn't be happier that my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS crapped out. I got a full refund and bought the iPhono 2 for $500 less and it outperforms the Pro-Ject. Won't be in the market for a different phono pre for a LONG time. Big shout out to HIFI Guy for the recommendation!

[​IMG]

8. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I was quite happy with version 1 except that it didn't provide as much gain as I'd like for my MC cart (AT-OC9ML/II). So I was pleased to find out the iPhono2 had better noise characteristics and also had a 72 dB gain option. It was a no-brainer for me. Now my TT input is pretty well matched with my digial input on my preamp, and the sound is solid, powerful, well resolved with a quiet background. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons with any other phono pre, but I am hoping this will be my last one for a few years.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. I thought you might pop up on this thread. Just ordered the SP6 but had to pay 37pounds. Looking forward to comparing it to my Musical Fidelity Phono stage and PSU

10. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

T
    the price does vary ! But at these
    Prices who cares,.
    I paid £21 on Amazon. On aa Friday
    Evening , and it came 1930 next day.
    No matter how many i try? Nothing comes close!

Fishoutofwater and Lymbo like this.
  11. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I too will have the pleasure of breaking-in an iFi iPhono2. If all goes as planned, UPS should be dropping it off later today. I'll be pairing it with my Zu DL-103 and comparing it to my current phono stage, the Jasmine LP2.0 mkII. I've wanted to try an new phono preamp for a while and have considered the iFi iPhono2, Tavish Design Vintage and Lehman Black Cube SE II. Given the price and rave reviews of the iPhono2, I couldn't resist any longer. More to come....

Leigh, EmmEff, Manimal and 3 others like this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The way it sounds changes over the first week. Leave it on and spin vinyl.

Heckto35, Lymbo and Nielsoe like this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Let us know. Curious about this "famous" Thorensman recommendation:)

Fishoutofwater and Lymbo like this.
  14. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

True! Very accurate statement.

15. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Unbelievable. Impossible. It's just your ears adapting to the particular sound, perhaps transient distortion, crossover distortion.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's no way you didn't plug it in for a test drive. What do you think so far?

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  17. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

So far, so good. No problem with initial set-up, once the various dip switches are in order. First impressions compared to the Jasmine is it's much quieter. I listened most of the afternoon and evening and out of the gate, I feel the two stages sound more similar than different (which isn't a bad thing). I'm hearing a bit more refinement in the very upper and lower ends and bass is more articulate and defined. With the iPhono2, I'm able to dial in the gain much better at 60dB than 70dB prior. I have a feeling this is giving the sound an "easier" quality and more depth, with soundstage about the same or more. I've keep the loading consistent between the two stages at 250Ω. Overall I'm impressed and look forward to listening to more in the next week. Next Friday, I'll put the Jasmine back in and give it a thorough comparison once I'm accustomed to the iPhono2!

18. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You might find this interesting- from Graham Slee, who manufactures phono stages. You probably won't believe it.

Always on! - HiFi System Components

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've ordered one as I need a cheap MM to test a long unused TT and maybe run MM on my second TT. I do have one of the best (MC) stages out there (sold at a low direct sell price) that is a tubey sounding solid state. Much simpler than the Ifi but majors on using one or two large linear power supplies rather than dubious dip switches which usually make little difference in practice. The Ifi also gives misinformation over different curves for 60s records. MF did cover this in his review. It might be even better if they made it less complex and dedicated MM and MC versions?

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  20. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I agree about the EQ curves. The info I found indicates that is important for pressings pre 1954- not into the 80s as iFi erroneously states. I set mine to RIAA and leave it there.

displayname likes this.
  21. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

There is a lot of misinformation about curves EQ.
    Decca and EMI and
    CBS insist only RIAA since late 50,s
    The IFI is fun and in a way gives you some control over final sound, much the same as TONE CONTROLS.
    Since i used the MONACOR i have realised that these extra curves are a
    Waste of time.
    Get RIAA right and all falls into place.
    I have mentioned class A working
    And class B (OP amp based phono,s)
    Many probably like class B operation !
    So the final decision is always yours!
    Nontheless phono stages are very
    Important,and understanding why they
    Differ is vital in final choice.
    As one reviewer put it " The Liquid sound of a valve phono"
    Hard to beat.
    Class. A transistor phono the same
    So i, m told,

Heckto35 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  22. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Scam, snake oil. Phono preamplifier such a simple thing.

23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Since I first posted about the 2 I've had some interesting experiences needless to say.

About a week in, my 2 crapped out on me which is shame because I like the sound. It did feel unusually hot and it stopped sending a signal. I returned it to Amazon for a refund from the third-party.

I decided to try again this time from Music Direct. The one I bought didn't work at all. So I returned it and bought a Musical Surrounding Phenomena II + instead which is very nice, though I wouldn't call it a huge upgrade for the price.

It's very weird because I still have the 1 which worked flawlessly for a few years. I know on the comments sections on the Fermer review somebody mentioned a problem with the power supply which is what I wonder if I encountered.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  24. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is the first time I've ever read about an issue with one, but two in a row seems crazy. Sorry to hear about that, but at least you ended up with a solution you are happy with.

25. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Yea, that really sucks @This Heat, hope you get years of enjoyment out of the Phonomena! (you should :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.