Heart live at Wolf Trap the other night

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Yeah I went to see Heart. It was a favor to my brother in law who freakin' loves them. I go stand in line and get the whole whack of Wolf Trap season tix every year and this year Heart was on the bill and he asked me to get him two and as a goof I got four. I called my buddy up and he was surprised but said "sure" and off we went.

Of course it was raining and even though our seats were covered we had to walk to the pavillion and got soaked. We had spent a couple hours at Clydes, a prominent DC area watering hole chain (member Ere DJ'ed at another Clydes for a while but that's another thread) so we were pretty juiced and tempted to blow the whole thing off. I'm glad we didn't.

I had seen each sister before. Saw Nancy solo acoustic at The Birchmere once and saw sister Ann as part of a Walk Down Abbey Road a couple years back as a favor to the same Bro in law. Turned out to be a favor to myself cause it was to be the last time I would ever see John Entwistle grace the stage and he played "My Wife" and that alone was worth it. But I never did see Heart in their heyday. Too much hair, too "arena" for my tastes back then. I know the hits and have a couple of albums and that's about it.

Well my first surprise was the band. I had heard that Alice In Chains bassist Mike Inez was on board but had no idea that former GNR axeman Gilby Clarke was playing and he's amazing. Sure enough the show was most enjoyable. They have a new album out and played some songs from it and mixed in the hits (as opposed to the current Neil Young Tour) and rocked out very nicely. Sister Nancy is a most impressive rhythm guitarist and Ann can still belt them out. Reports of her dramatic weight loss BTW are slightly exaggerated. She has certainly slimmed down from the Walk Down tour but is still a big girl but carries herself nicely and really can wail.

It's funny: I went as a goof and admittedly spent some time watching the other concert goers singing along and reliving their past but there's probably somebody at a Springsteen show thinking the same thing about me. I'm gonna check out some Gilby Clarke solo stuff and cross Heart off my list of acts I've never seen.

Peace-
    Norm

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Very cool Norm!

Hey, I didn't know they had a new CD out -- do you know the title? I can't find anything at Amazon.

thx!

jeff

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Something newer than the HEart 2SACD/hybrid Seattle? I keep hearing good things about it...(??)

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Gotta Have Heart

Actually I think that may be it. I think it came out in conjunction with a new DVD that has some old and new cuts and maybe a couple cuts from Leno and maybe Conan shows. May be unplugged. I am a veritable storehouse of misinformation :rolleyes:
    One of the things about Heart that is a pain in the butt and that they never imagined when they formed the band back in the seventies is that when you search "Heart" on eBay or wherever you get the phone book.
    Ah it's hard to be a rock band with a generic name in the digital age...
    Anywho...Enjoy guys!
    Best-
    Norm

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The price of the 2SACD Hybrid was something like $16... Not bad. I haven't heard it yet, but for 2 SACD hybrids of new live stuff...

6. stever

stever Senior Member

I've heard they're recording songs for an upcoming studio release.

7. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

They're coming out with a DVD-V of the same concert ! I read a review somewhere, the reviewer had a gotten a pre-release copy ,said the
    5.1,DTS- mix was very good . You might want to wait on that and let the
    people here on the forum compare the two !
    txguitar

8. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Although they are playing a few tunes from their "upcoming" first Heart studio album since Desire Walks On in 1993, it won't actually be released 'til, maybe, sometime early next year.

Joel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.