Hell or High Water (2016 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Chris Pine, sure is better playing trailer trash than playing Captain Kirk.

2. So, did anyone else have a hard time understanding what the Howard boys were saying during the first third of the movie? Maybe it just took me some time to get used to their accents and lingo, maybe it was partially the sound mix or cinema setup, but whatever the case I missed several lines.

Ultimately no biggie though, as I did dig the movie. Glad it didn't resolve itself with some twist ending, as I partially feared, and opted instead for a more existential note.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. Remember, we have

spoiler tags

on this forum.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I had a problem with the sound, too. Also Bridges did that kind of mumbly thing he does which, combined with the sound issues, made him hard to understand also.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Caught this this evening - nothing earth-shattering but superior entertainment nonetheless.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can someone tell me the name of the song played over the closing credits?

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Now you can rent it at Redbox.

I saw it in the theater a month or two ago. I thought it was pretty good and had an interesting plot. I've always been a fan of Jeff Bridges.

8. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

We thought the speakers conked out at the beginning of the BD but the
    dialogue volume is low for the first 10 minutes or so. Best film of the year.

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

It annoyed me because every minor character had to make a socioeconomic statement. That only happens in movies. Way too much preach for my taste. That including visuals of the "times a-changing" cultural statements like the horseback rider juxtaposed with the rap/metal music blaring car containing the jerk. Still, it was a pretty decent movie with very good acting. I guess the very high praise had me expect too much.

MekkaGodzilla and GodShifter like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was only okay. It reminded me of an old, circa 1970s type film, but that really wanted to be a western. The mumbling was extremely annoying (as is standard these days with Bridges) and the constant racial taunting (even if it was supposed to be friendly teasing) really got old through overuse. Meh.

MekkaGodzilla and GodShifter like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far, yes, I agree.

MrSka57 likes this.
  13. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

I expected to like this movie but was disappointed, best part of the movie was the soundtrack.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just ordered it today.

Karsten likes this.
  15. agentalbert

Thanks. I really like that song. I thought it sounded like Chris Stapleton when I was in the theater.

16. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Just watched the BR last night, some of the dialog is hard to understand but enjoyed the film anyway.
    Subtitles are your friend!

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Pretty good flick. A bit hard to swallow the over the top west texan cliches (No Country For Old Men got it much better); but still a really good performance from the brothers. Jeff Bridges eh..idk..his cowboy thing is lacking. Tommy Lee is a Texan. Hed understand what I mean.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nope, Im west texan. Understood every word :D

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why not turn on the subtitles ? I have to do that often, for clarification.

Can't watch my copy yet. Emergency ! on Netflix ends this month, and I'm up to Season 5.

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Loved this movie, and I have yet to meet anyone who saw it that didn't. Although I'm only an honorary Texan, it captured some of the bleak, rawboned aspects of what I imagine the real Texas is like (Austin is a bit of a bubble). My favorite scenes included the waitress at the T-Bone and the posse of townspeople in pick-up trucks. The actor who played the crazy brother was the star of this thing. And the plot was sweet- in one sense everybody was on the same side against the banks. A classic. (Just goes to show that a well made, well written film can appeal to those who want some action and those who want more cerebral stuff- it clicked at Cannes and seems to have great word of mouth among regular folks too).

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It is a good soundtrack, agreed.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Been through every one of those little towns and stayed in Coleman for a bit. Not sure if that was really Coleman. It has a cobblestoned mainstreet. But maybe it was filmed in a different area of Coleman. Maybe not, it aint that big.

I think the movie went a little overboard with the west texas looney hicks aspect. That old waitress is funny, but nah, she wouldnt last. West Texans from those tiny towns are very much a cliquey group and also much more respectful than what that lady acted like. The midsized towns are very different and diverse culturally than say 15 yrs ago.

I spent time in the late 70s as a child in local dives. And went places no way you could now. But it is still the law of the old west out here to a degree. The solemn attitude of the younger brother is something you saw a lot at one time. The landscape is one of the things that makes people the way they are here. Its butt ugly in a lot of places. And gritty, dusty and all of those things. The film does capture that. But it fails to completely capture the essence of the west texan.

But neither did Urban Cowboy.

Bill Hart likes this.
  23. agentalbert

I had no problem understanding any of the dialog, but, I like here.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

None of the movie was shot in Texas. It's all New Mexico but it certainly resembles West Texas.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well that makes sense. Sure didnt look like any of those towns Ive ever been through. Except for the brothers home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.