Hell or High Water (2016 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Meant "...I live here".

Coricama likes this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Where are you from @mpayan ? Didn't know there were others on the forum out here. Looking forward to seeing this, planned to this weekend but too much going on.

3. Thanks a lot for the spoiler alert, pal. :realmad:

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

deleted, sorry

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

outstanding film, just outstanding

ex_mixer likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Tommy Lee as an aging Texas Ranger? Odd choice! ;)

[​IMG]

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"No Country For Girls Girls Girls!!!"..?

"Louder Than Hell ...Or High Water"??

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Screened last week. Solid film. Enjoyed the cinematography. White balanced pushed yellow though.

Any of you see some of Mackenzie's prior films? I rented Perfect Sense blu-ray from Netflix. Gotta make my top 5 for most depressing films ever!

Nice Marmot likes this.
  9. The cinema I saw it at doesn't offer a subtitle option.

Al Kuenster and Myke like this.
  10. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this movie. Looking forward to watching it again on dvd.

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Saw it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

There's one great scene after another in this movie. Do you think there will be a final showdown? If so, what will happen do you think?

Coricama likes this.
  13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Jeff Bridges gets killed. His wife is gone, his job is gone, he's ready to go. I streamed this movie and liked it a lot. I had that same question at the end too.

dead of night likes this.
  14. Are you speculating, or is this another spoiler post?

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Speculating.

My sense was that the two would never see each other again. There was a finality to that last conversation.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I didnt get the idea that the younger brother was some kind of mastermind genius. I think he loved his older brother. Warts and all. It was a matter fate and bad decisions that got his brother killed. His mean brother was more the schemer. He knew from the beginning what he would have to do to keep his brother in the clear. I dont believe he knew what the last bank robbery would completely turn out to be; but I think he went there for a reason. Sniper rifle, gas can ready, leading them to a plateau? I dont think that was all happenstance.

dead of night likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I wonder about this obsession with yellow. But it was a conscious decision by the colorist in post, perhaps as instructed by the dp or the director, rather than the white balance during the shoot.

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Great flick. Bridges is a treasure. My family is from West Texas. My dad was an actual cowboy. I understood every mumbled word. Movie was shot in Clovis, NM. I've been there on business. I pulled out of my car after a long drive as it started raining, so I ran into the building. While doing so, all the employees started filing out of the building. Why? It had not rained for months and they approach it differently than a Virginia boy. I've also been to West Central Texas where the film takes place. People are like that (posse, guns, etc.). Best darn chicken fried steak I've ever had was near Goldthwaite, TX.

budwhite, Tree of Life and ex_mixer like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not the best movie of the year.
    Fine retro b- movie. That tag should give it staying power for some time
    Yes, and a good cast, good cast.

Tree of Life likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I agree more with @mpayan in post #47. I don't think West Texans are as brash and edgy as they're made out to be in the film. I've been a Texan since birth and I have to say that though half the population of this state is nuts, almost everyone is polite and never as rude as the waitress in that one scene (she was funny, though).

Tree of Life, ex_mixer and mpayan like this.
  21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Total speculation as the movie ends before that event.

22. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Agree with your comments all the way down to and including Perfect Sense. It was so depressing we bought the Blu Ray so we could be depressed again! Actually I think it's a quite good under the radar flick.

jh901 likes this.
  23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Digital cinematography may allow for that, but I've always assumed that these artistic decisions are implemented post-production.

In any event, my front projection display is reference quality and is pro ISF calibrated. I'm not a huge fan of manipulating the white balance to achieve a particular look, but at same time I can appreciate where mixing and matching cameras and lenses and then creating certain lighting, etc are all among the tools used to create the film. Watch Anthropoid, for example, which is filmed with an Arri 16mm. It just looks so terrific compared to the use of a digital camera followed by an attempt mimic the look of actual film.

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Watched last night.. good movie.
    Movie quote "beer o-clock" should have been beer-thirty
    "Even a blind hog finds a truffle" should have been- even a blind hog stumbles on an acorn. Well according to an Alabama boy:)

Richard--W and mpayan like this.
  25. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The colorist doesn't work during principle photography. The colorist is a position in the post-production phase. Post production is in the digital realm now. However, the director or dp can provide for a color pallet by planting certain colors in the design of the film, the same as if they were shooting film.

Again, the white balance was not manipulated to achieve a certain look in Hell Or High Water. There may have been some filters used, but not yellow. The shift to yellow was achieved in post by the colorist.

I didn't know Anthropoid was shot on 16mm film. I'll have to check it out.

jh901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.