Hell or High Water (2016 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, truffle isnt a word thats said by old guys here. Doubt if theyd even know what a truffle is.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Don't trifle with truffles!

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

For fans of Hell or High Water, you might also want to check out Transpecos: Transpecos »

This movie has a 100% rating (18 positives, no negatives) on the RT site. It is a mystery/suspense movie about border patrol agents along a remote border area of Texas. It came to a local arthouse theater in Dallas -- the Texas theater. I had never been to this theater before. It is one of those old neighborhood theaters with character that manages to stay in business by playing older or more obscure independent films. This movie really is excellent -- I liked it more than Hell . . ., but both of them are worth seeing.

ex_mixer and GodShifter like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Transpecos doesn't get great reviews on IMDB and the related reviews from the sites attached to it aren't great, either. I usually trust IMDB more than RT. Still, the story sounds interesting. I'll check it out :thumbsup:

townsend likes this.
  5. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I watched this a couple of nights ago after hearing about it here. Jeff Bridges character is perfect as was his partners. I loved the banter and humor the two shared and at the end, the feeling of closure that Bridge's so desperately wanted. I loved the movie and thanks for recommending it.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

With regard to Sicario this one of the worst films I have ever seen, it is complete utter rubbish. strange how people have such different opinions. Maybe I watched it in the wrong format Atmos disc played on non Atmos receiver, I found the dialogue hard to hear unless the volume was considerably increased constantly, apart from the sound the content IMO is absolute crap

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

You need to distinguish the film itself from the subpar presentation you experienced (e.g., Atmos) -- two different things. This reminds me of the Amazon user reviewers when the review gives an item "one star" because it arrived broken -- damaged during shipping, etc.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to be clear, you're talking about Sicario?

9. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I didn't have a problem hearing the movie at all.

Different movie than Sicario, both wee very good in their own right.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought "Sicario" was very good and I'm an extremely tough critic. Your basing your criticism on a bad format :confused:

ex_mixer likes this.
  11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Like most, I thought this was a good film. The best thing was the pacing.

Then I started thinking about the plot. The motivation for the robberies is a little far fetched if you think about it.

The younger brother (the smart one) needs to come up with like 40-50k to buy out the reverse mortgage and pay the back taxes so he can keep the land in the family that has OIL on it. The fact that there is oil is no secret. So he starts robbing banks. But only from the bank that holds the reverse mortgage. Meanwhile the land is worth a fortune, all he has to do borrow some money from a different bank or lender. Even at loan shark rates it would be better than robbing banks.

Still a good film.

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that......... :magoo:

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Yeah, I thought the same thing but just went with it. Jeff Bridges was outstanding in this one and made the movie.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bridges is indeed superb. Good script, a little heavy handed. Pretty conventional story, except for the twist near the end.
    I don't think it's best picture.

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just rented this because I liked Wind River.....it was very good.

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Finally got around to watching it tonight. I liked it very much. I'll probably be watching it again.

17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

one of the finest movies i have seen in a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.