Hello, fans of Ocean Colour Scene...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Feb 3, 2017.

1. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

The b-sides album only covers Moseley Shoals but those from Marchin' Already are definitely worth seeking out (I think there's a deluxe issue of the album that includes them to save seeking out the original singles) - Hello Monday (a b-side of 100 Mile High City) is one of my favourite OCS tracks.

I must admit I lost touch with their releases after the following album though, the consistency seemed to go during One from the Modern.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Live On The Riverboat is amazing. Love that one. And yeah, NADrift really creeps up on you. Great album. One of my faves now.

alylemoss likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I need to revisit these albums. It's funny, when I was a kid, I loved them, and now that I'm dad-rock age (although thankfully not a dad :laugh:) they've sort of fallen off of my radar. I voted for Mosley Shoals and North Atlantic Drift, those are the two I remember as being a notch above the rest for me.

btltez likes this.
  4. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

man. you just inspired me to play North Atlantic Drift. So great. That album is amazing IMO. Now i'm obsessed with getting the vinyl. Only two on Discogs and two on Amazon. All 100 dollars or more. None on Ebay. Bums me out thinking how many are sitting in dollar bins around the world and I can't get to them LoL. Anyone have vinyl of this? Is it worth 100 bux sound-wise?

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I just realized that I had two old 45 OCS singles.

One is a double-A-sides single of July/I Am The News. Unlike the songs on the album, these are the much improved remixes. The songs on the album are fine, but they really flubbed the album mix, and both these remixes are vastly superior. Though I already have the CD-single of these, having them on 45 is pretty cool.

The other is one of my personal favorite OCS songs; "I Just Need Myself", and the B-side of this single is their cover of Richard/Linda Thompson's "I Wanna See The Bright Lights Tonight". Now, I already had the CD-single, so imagine my surprise when I put this on and hear that the version on this 45 is a completely different version than what's on the CD-single. It's not even a remix, but a completely different performance/recording. It's a bit slower, and more similar to the Thompsons' original version, also, Linda Thompson sings back-up on this OCS version, but she's not on the other version (though she does sing on another song from North Atlantic Drift; "She's Been Writing"). So, for all you OCS completists, as far as I know, this 45 single is the only way to get this version of Bright Lights.

btltez likes this.
  6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Oh, speaking of great OCS covers, most of you should know this, but for those of you that don't, they do a KILLER version of Small Faces' "Song of a Baker". SO GOOD!

(play it LOUD!)

Story goes that the sirens you hear at the end were set off due to Oscar hitting the drums so hard/loud.

e.s. and btltez like this.
  7. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I remember going into Woolworths in town as a young teen with enough money to buy 2 albums - I wanted Moseley Shoals, K by Kula Shakur and a Dodgy album (it had If You're Thinking of Me on it) but could only afford two.

I stood there for what seemed like 10 minutes debating them, ultimately coming away with K and the OCS one. Unbelievable night listening to those. What a great time that was as someone who was discovering all this music. Great memory.

Moseley Shoals is a wonderful album btw. Saw them live in 98/99 in London and they were brilliant, and I met a future girlfriend at the gig too. OCS have been good to me

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This would've been a dream show!
    I don't really care for Oasis, but OCS and MSP are two of my favorite still-active bands, and seeing them back to back would be an absolute wish come true for me.

[​IMG]

btltez likes this.
  9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

beware of an amazon seller named danny boyz. he had NADrift on vinyl for 98.00. I wrote and asked if he for sure had it in stock and how low he could on on price. He wrote back and said yes, in stock, and RAISED the price to 299.00 !! What a scumbag! I wrote him and ripped into him.

Nielsoe likes this.
  10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Whilst I haven't listened to them much of late, I loved OCS back during their second, third and fourth albums and I saw them several times in and around Birmingham, including at least one gig in Moseley itself. They were great live. They might well still be for all I know!

I was too late for the RSD Moseley Shoals and I've refused to pay the silly money being asked for these. I hope for a 'normal' vinyl reissue someday...

jon9091 likes this.
  11. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

well. during a temporary loss of sanity I spent 125.00 for Hyper and Mech Wonder. They sounded so good I spent 75.00 on Marchin and 79.00 for N. Atlantic Drift from Japan. And I have no regrets.

Nielsoe and slop101 like this.
  12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

No regrets and no wife apparently...

13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

nope. divorced and single and love every minute of it. my life is mine thank you very much. and I can blast my music whenever I want and not wear pants. LoL

cdnostalgia and Nielsoe like this.
  14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

So I read recently that their last studio album ("Painting") came with a bonus track if you ordered from their website, a 9+ minute track called "Trilogy". Curious to hear this, but can find no trace on youtube or elsewhere. Anyone ever hear it?

btltez likes this.
  15. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Was that 2001 gig in L.A. at the Troubadour? If so, I was there. I don't remember it being packed at all. They were a very good live band and if my memory serves me they encored with 'Song of a baker' by the Small Faces. Great cover by the way.

I quite like their albums. Solid but never truly spectacular with the lyrics letting them down a bit. None the less, lots of fun.

16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, they did two nights at the Troubadour. I went with my girlfriend at the time to the first night, then dragged a bunch of friends for the second night - they were all impressed and became fans.
    Neither night was sold out or packed, but it was a decent crowd (though the Troubadour is tiny).
    Saw them in NY on the same tour at Irving Plaza - that was a way bigger venue and sold out - but that was because one of the opening bands were a local NY favorite at the time - most people were there for them, not OCS.

17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I saw them as the opening act for the Stones in Germany in (99?). They were very very good but I had the feeling I was the only one there who knew of them:). Great nevertheless.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Wow, they opened for the Stones?!?
    :faint:

19. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I saw them open for The Who in '96. They were great and went over really well with the crowd, too, though that obviously didn't translate into much US success.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Really? WOW would love to hear this. Never knew about this. If you find it let us know.

mrjinks likes this.
  21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yeah they opened The Who ''Quadrophenia" Tour. I saw them several times on that. They were great but not many cared in the audience.

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

But only on the East Coast of that tour. I saw that tour here on the west coast, and already being an OCS fan by then, I was bummed they weren't playing the west coast dates.

23. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Yeah I saw them in Boston and NY on that tour

24. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

just spent an hour trying to find this track and no luck. Their site now has a different song called ''old, old songs" if you order the cd from them. Hard to believe we can't find this Trilogy track anywhere online.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

They made it available on their website as a free download for a short while, and I downloaded it then. It's like a medley of 3 unfinished songs, acoustic demos at that.
    I think it's on the Japanese version of the CD as well.

mrjinks likes this.