Hello Hurray—Best Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiterboy, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue Thread Starter

I have been loving this song for a while now, and am hoping this thread uncovers a few versions I’ve not yet discovered.

2. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

The Coop Rocks!

3. jupiterboy

Indeed he does, and he capitalizes on the anthemic nature of this tune. Rolf, the writer of the tune, gives it a gritty, intimate feel. Collins, however, sends it soaring and, IMO, and takes it to another level entirely.

4. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I know he didn't write it, but IMO, Alice Cooper owns the song!

5. jupiterboy

In a sense, you have an easy case on the ownership (copyright aside), but is it the best version? And, why?

6. jupiterboy

7. jupiterboy

8. jupiterboy

9. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Well, I love his delivery of the lyric, the band really rocks it, and I love the depth of emotion he conveys in his voice. True, there may be better singers out there, but the performance really comes together and for me the other versions just sound 'wrong'. Sort of like Willie Nelson's version of "Crazy." He might have written it, but Patsy Cline's performance takes it away from him, she made it completely her own. Alice Cooper does the same with "Hello Hooray."

jupiterboy likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

I sort of feel this way, but when I hear what Collins’ arrangement does with the pacing (and the contrast in dynamics with the organ), I realize that Cooper could have made it much better. Cooper’s version sounds a bit plodding and light by comparison.

11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I actually saw Rolf Kempf perform once in the early 1970s.

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

Wow! I liked all the versions you posted! I had only heard Alice's and have a feeling that may be true for many others. It is on one of his most popular LPs but in truth I will refrain from voting. I would advise all to listen to all of these..Thanks!! Oh out of curiosity what made Alice cover this track(any special reason beyond liking the Track)?

13. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Gotta go with Alice, even after listening to the other two. The song fits Alice's "showmanship above all else" attitude perfectly.

jupiterboy likes this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How can I put this mildly...The Alice Cooper group's version is one of the best album openers of all-time. It's exciting, dynamic, it's arranged perfectly and the way Alice sings it gets your adrenalin pumping for what's to follow. The other two versions, well, those are terrible.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm a pretty good test case for this one. I like both Alice Cooper (early stuff, anyway) and Judy Collins, but I hadn't heard either of their versions of this song in decades. So I'm not going into this with any prejudice.

I have to say that the original, to my ears, comes closer to realizing the song's intent than either of the covers does. I was pretty impressed by it. As much as I like much of what Judy Collins has done, this song just doesn't seem suited to her at all. And Alice's version is fine, but I find Rolf's arrangement much more dramatic and nuanced, and he sings with greater conviction.

jupiterboy likes this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

I didn't know anyone else did the song, but I like Alice Cooper's version a lot, perhaps second favourite after School's Out.

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Alice for sure

18. Harold Land

Harold Land Active Member

Alice Cooper.

19. jupiterboy

So which terrible version do you think Alice Cooper heard that inspired him to use the song as his album opener? I kind of like the idea of Alice Cooper sitting around listening to Judy Collins and petting a kitten.

20. jupiterboy

Was Hello Hurray a hit for him? Was it a staple of his show?
    One aspect that has not been covered is the lyrics. Cooper, in a way, changed the character of the song to his own purposes. This develops the swirling carnival feel of the tune as an album or show opener, but obscures the more personal, introspective aspects of the songs, which Kempf is obviously most in touch with. It still amazes me how Collins and Cooper recognized and used the anthemic bones of the song, even thought that was less of Collins’ bag than Coopers.

An informative bit from Kempf’s website.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  21. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Singer songwriter Meg Christian does Hello Horray on her first album from 1974.

I Know You Know (Olivia Records, 1974)

Scott

22. jupiterboy

I’ve not been able to listen to this, although I did find the version by Pig online. :whistle:

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm sure the original. The Judy Collins version is awful. If Alice head that, I doubt he would have any interest.
    Let's put it this way, out of all three, the only show I want to see after hearing the song is Alice's.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Once you get into it, the Rolf Kemp version is't too much different from Cooper's. Cooper's version has some different lyrics and is more theatrical.

Collins' version is pretty but forgettable and I wonder why she chose it.

I can't possibly be objective about it since I've been familiar with Cooper's version for over 30 years.

25. jupiterboy

Well, I guess Kempf didn’t release his version until 1994. He speaks rather fondly of Collins’ version, which released in 1968. That’s a pretty good circumstantial case that he was listening to Collins’ version, which was the first recording. I would probably prefer the Cooper show, like you, but would love to hear any of them perform, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.