Hello, John Beland here...new to the forum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Beland, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hi John....Welcome to the SH Forum. :wave: Tribute To Woody (Hollywood Bowl) is one of my favorite recordings and your work on it must have been a personal and professional highlight, among many.

2. John Beland

John Beland New Member Thread Starter

Jamesmaya
    The 1970 Tribute To Woody concert at the Hollywood Bowl was a standout event in my career. I played dobro and guitar alongside of Ry Cooder, Burrito Chris Ethridge, Gib Guilbeau, Stan Pratt and John Pilla..we backed up the who's-who of folk music's legends that night, and it was a highly emotional concert. It was narrated by Peter Fonda and actor Will Geer ( grandpa Walton).
    Some of the singers we backed up were Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, country Joe McDonald, Richie Havens, Odetta, Arlo Guthrie and Ramblin Jack Elliot. I was honored when I learned that the recording of the concert was put into the Library Of Congress.
    I think the recording of that event is available at www.amazon.com
    Thanks for asking..
    JB

3. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

you were in New Kids on the Block??? :eek:

:laugh: kidding, natch

hey, John.... you can save yourself some labor by clicking on the plus-signs next to the buttons that say "Quote" when you go to reply to multiple posts in a thread....they kind of light up when you click them, to signify that you've chosen that particular post....then, when you click on "Post Reply", (at the upper and lower lefthand corner of your screen), you will see each of those posts quoted in the white message window you type your replies in.... the result will be one single post of yours that includes your response to each person....

or, if you just want to answer one person individually without having to type their screen name in, simply click on "Quote" at the bottom righthand corner of their post, and it'll automatically add their name so you don't have to....

i think i explained that clearly enough, i dunno :laugh:

of course it's possible you already know all this, but prefer to do it your way.... if that's the case, then ignore everything i just told you!

4. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

John,

Thanks for your response.

I was referring to the Live at the Troubador/1969. It's been out of print for some time now.

The live set you are referencing sounds great as well.

5. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Twenty cuts from the Troubadour sessions are on the second Bear Family box, which has been out for some time. I understand that Ace is working on their own Troubadour set.

6. John Beland

Dean...I don't believe the Troubadour show is included in the Bear Family box set. I was there that night...along with Glenn Frey. We were both Nelson fanatics...Ironic, cause the bass player for Rick that night was future Eagle Randly Meisner. So there you had furure Eagle Frey watching future Eagle Meisner, and John Beland looking at the man he would work for 8 years later. In the words of Spinal tap..."Too much iorny! "
    Cheers
    JB

7. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Hey John. Nice to see you here!

Have enjoyed your work for years.

8. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Welcome John,

There are several TDPRI members here, although I haven't frequented there in years.

9. John Beland

Beattles
    The "Apple connection" you asked about is that I was signed to Apple Records as a solo artist in 1973. I was signed by Tony King on Ringo's "ok" while on tour in the UK with pop singer Johnny Tillotson. Tillotoson knew King, from when Tony was a promo man during Tillotson's hits run, and was then the head of A&R for Apple.

I played Tony some demos I had made in LA and he passed them on to Ringo, who told King to sign me up as a new artist. I came back to America, started the album, but midway thru the recording Apple came to a halt due to legal issues. I was able to complete the album for Scepter Records. It's called JOHN EDWARD BELAND. You can find that LP on Ebay every now and then.
    Cheers
    JB

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm not as familiar with your music as others here, but look forward to being introduced to it via this thread and any other one you participate on in the future. :)

11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Thanks. Too bad the Apple deal didn't work out. Ringo always had an affinity for country music. Look forward to pulling out some FBB when I get home!!!

12. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

As mentioned above, there's a lot of background in the Peppermint Trolley Company thread.

13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I appreciate your work -- welcome to the board!:wave:

14. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

RE:Rick Nelson set in progress:I heard (somewhere,don't remember where...) that the whole Back To Vienna album is finally coming out.--I have a gen'd cassette of it,I don't think it's that bad....

15. John Beland

Back to Vienna was never released officially. The sessions were very interesting to play on. It was fun to play with great musicians like Michael McDonald and Al Kooper. My favorite track that I played on was MAMA YOU'VE BEEN ON MY MIND and NEW DEHLI FREIGHT TRAIN. Glad to see this coming out, as well.
    JB

16. Perko

Perko New Member

Hi John

Welcome. Hope you'll be able to share many stories.

Regards
    Laura (perko)

17. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Welcome John,

Just remember, it's gentle words that may open the iron gate.

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Welcome John.

I worked with your brother at Passport Music. Tell him hello!

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Welcome John :wave:

Great to see you here.

Simon :)

20. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

In South Carolina, there're many tall pines
    I remember the oak tree that we used to climb
    But now when I'm lonesome I always pretend
    That I'm gettin' the feel of hickory wind

From a South Carolinian to John--welcome.

Mike

21. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Welcome John!

22. John Beland

Thanks so much for the welcome, everyone. This is a cool place....

Attached Files:

23. vinyldisc

vinyldisc New Member

I am a relative newwwcomer here, but I have noticed this forum has more than its fair share of folks like John... more than any other music related forum that I participate in... Musicians, sound engineers, industry reps, vinyl production employees, etc...

Can we produce a house band vinyl release? I will pitch in!

If we get a few folks to pitch in could the SH.TV label "house band" produce some records?

:^p

I kid around a lot, but that actually might be a good idea which sprouted from an attempt at levity.

Welcome. This place will be even better now that you are here, John.

Best,
    Vic

24. vinyldisc

vinyldisc New Member

[​IMG]

(I linked to an image from your web site, hope ya don't mind)

Sonny lives right down the road in Breaux Bridge... small wwworld!

25. John Beland

the pic of Sonny & I (above) was taken in Nashville during the recording of BACK TO BAYOU TESCH for the Flying Burrito Brothers. I sang on that particular track and Sonny came in to do his trademark slide riff. His version is terrific, and our's wasn't too shabby either. It also featured Jo-El Sonnier on accordian. Here's a pic of Jo-El and I in the same studio getting ready for his accordian part.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.