Hello Waterface:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Irwin Mainway, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello Waterface:

Welcome to Miami Beach. Everything is cheaper than it looks, As you know, the Santa Monica Flyer is the longest train around. It's so fast and straight with its up to date. I'm just down here working on BB's plane crash album and it sure looks good to me.

Tonight's the night. We're gonna get loose in the caboose with our backs to the tracks. Yes, we're all on vacation and we deserve it. Waterface, I sincerely hope you can make it back in time.

It all feels so strange. This train is just too fast. It never stops you know. Unless you get off. But I remember BB. He called my name. He said, "tell Waterface to put it in his lung and not in his vein."

Remember "Sambo" who used to broadcast from the tank? He's off the air but he doesn't care. I'm sorry. You don't know these people. This means nothing to you. A picture is worth a thousand words. Just give me a white cane and a polaroid avoid.

Goodby Waterface

P.S. Please take my advice.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

he he he. He said get off. he he he

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

he he he. He said his vein. he he he.

4. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

It was a town like florida in the fifties, buildings eight stories high, except for a few ten stories and one fifteen right in the center of town. Thw whole lace sparkled with clarity. Everyone was wearing colorful clothes. People drank coca colas through straws on the street corners. Men were gliding in gliders above the streets, turning corners between the buildings and soaring up alleyways. It was unbelievable. I said "Hey, how do those guys soar arround the city like that. It all looks too good Why don't they crash into the buidings?"Jus t then one ofthe gliders crashed into the fifteen story building in the center of town. The man tubling head over heels throughtheair like some sort of wounded superman. He tumnbled dead towards me. With me on the parking lot were a young couple, They were walking together in conversation, looking up, they noticed the tubling man. He fell on top of them making a sluggish sound on the pavement. Off to the side of the three dead bodies I noticed a baby wrapped in a pretty red blanket. I picked up the child and put it(I don't remember if it was a boy or girl) in a car parked on the street. A crowd was gathering arroundthe parking lot. A beautiful lady came towards me on the street. She looked inside the parked car."That's my baby in there" she said."No,"Isaid "This baby belongs to that dead couple on the parking lot."No, You're wrong" she said, "What happened to them?"

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wow! Thanks for the hit...:)

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Does BB stand for Bruce Barry?

Chris

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yes, "Hello Waterface" is also hand written in the runout wax of "Tonight's the Night".

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is on my copy. Does anyone know if it's on all copies, and if not, when did it stop?

L.

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Just to add some detail and bump this thread up in hopes of a response: My lp says "hello waterface" on side one and "goodbye waterface" on side two. Anyone know the story behind this and if it's on all copies of the album?

Maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed so that people know it's about Neil Young and "Tonight's the Night?"

L.

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Louis, the inscribed "Hello Waterface" on Side 1 and "Goodbye Waterface" on Side 2 are on first pressings of Tonight's The Night with black fuzzy cover, second pressing with black softly textured cover, and third pressings with black standard cover. Is Waterface Danny Whitten? Don't know, but it is who Neil was talking to when he sings "Please take my advice...."

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Randy,

Thanks for the info! I think I may have a first pressing. Could you be more specific about the difference between "fuzzy" and "softly texured?" I think mine is "fuzzy," but I'm not sure, having nothing to compare it to. It's certainly not a standard cover. Are there numbers I should look for?

L.

12. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member Thread Starter

Glad that everyone caught on to this thread. I just found the insert that features the above letter when I pulled out the record the other day. I think I have a first pressing too.

Wow, does the vinyl beat the crap out of the CD! It sounds incredible.

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Louis, "fuzzy" first cover is really fuzzy (almost hairy) - hard to describe but it is something like velour in texture but wears away very easily leaving the white cardboard showing underneath. This was very limited in production as far as I can tell. I have one that is like new - all the other first covers I have seen are worn and are no longer as fuzzy, so it is very fragile. First cover was USA only as far as I can tell - Sounds great too! The more commonly encounterd second issue cover also has a somewhat fuzzy texture, but is distinctly less "hairy" and less fragile than the first. Sorry I cannot be more descriptive. I'm not near my collection now so don't have any numbers for you.

14. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Randy,

Thanks. Mine is pretty fuzzy and worn away to white in spots. And, first pressing or not, it sounds great. If I get a chance tonight I'll take a look at the numbers.

L.

15. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Does the second pressing have the Hello and Goodbye on the deadwax?

I have the inscription in the dead wax, and, like Ishwart said, first pressing or not, it sounds great.

None of these details are in Goldmine Record Guide, they just list one issue by Reprise, none of these details, nor reissues.

16. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Well, let me see if I can finish what I started. Just got back home to my collection. The second cover is not all that "fuzzy", so I think Louis you have the first cover. The numbers on my "fuzzy" cover vinyl of Tonight's The Night are: Side 1 MS 2221 31884 RE-1-2 and Side 2 MS 2221 31885-1. Looks like side 1 was recut at some point. Every pressing of this LP I have seen has the inscribed "Waterface", even my Japanese pressing of this album has it!

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Interesting: The numbers on my, I assume fuzzy, copy are side 1 MS 2221 31884 RE-1-8 and side 2 MS 2221 31885-2. I have no idea what that means, but there it is.

Can anyone enlighten me?

L.

18. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Louis, my other "fuzzy" cover LP of TTN has the same number as yours on the first side - so I think you are set.

Dan, Goldmine doesn't list the first textured cover LP of Zuma as a separate entry either but it does for Harvest - go figure...

19. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Thanks, Randy. Does anyone know the story behind the printed "wallpaper" pattern on the inside of the "On the Beach" LP cover (that is, inside the pocket where the LP goes)? My copy, not an especially old one, I think (I bought it in the mid '80's). I noticed that they used it for the inside of the back cover of the CD reissue (underneath the clear jewel case tray.

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.