Help An Audio Hardware Newb

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by picassoson, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

I found this article this morning while surfing:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/12-years-“recommended-components”

picassoson likes this.
  2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Good luck. I guess it depends what you realistically want to do

A/ Spend $1000 & that's it , allowing for repairs & change of cartridge when worn or

B/ Upgrade each component with the best thing you can afford at the time & slowly build a mega system around it

I chose B but there is nothing wrong with choosing A!!!

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I'm going to suggest a Yamaha RN500 as the amp for he OP.

It does the lot - network streaming, internet radio, a very good phono stage, ample wattage (85W @ 8 Ohm), 4 x s/pdif in, 3 line in (w/ 2 tape loops), 2 (possibly 3) usb in (including ipod), sub pre out, AM/FM tuner, airplay, iOS/Android control app...Bonus is that it sounds really good.

Plus it has well implemented tone controls and a great loudness contour control if the positioning/living arrangements dictate it.

They're circa $500 new, so pair that with a decent pair of $500 speakers and you're laughing.

mwb, PhilBiker, gd0 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

So OP, what amp/receiver did you buy in the end? :-popcorn:

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

6. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'd say go with a rehabbed Fisher tube receiver.There's a bunch of threads here about them.That would be a good start.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The speakers make by far the biggest difference to the sound. So while I agree a "real" amp/receiver is needed, I would concentrate the bulk of your money on new speakers. I'd probably go get some used Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo off of Craigslist or eBay-even an old one would be fine for a while. For speakers, NHT makes some very nice stuff as do Polk, Energy, many others. Speakers don't wear out for a loooooong time, so buying used models from the last few years is also a fine option. You'll have to decide if you want bookshelf speakers still, or can fit towers, or want bookshelves plus a true subwoofer (your Bose is designed to work with Bose, not other stuff). A true subwoofer however begins around $600, maybe somewhat less used. If you decide to do that, your sub needs a crossover with output and your receiver needs pre-out/main-in jacks, which you can post here for clarification if you go that route.

Oh, and move the left speaker! It is pointing right along a wall of cubicles, lots of bad reflections. Actually I think you should move it out of the right shelves entirely and into that left wall of shelves, so the speakers would each kind of point out from the corner. That should improve the sound quite a bit.

8. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

I have no idea why you guys are still posting to this thread o_O; the OP was done with this totally random impulse question more than 2 months ago; back on January 25th with post #14.....................the same day he asked it (pretty sure he's moved on now)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    The Pinhead likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:biglaugh:Guilty as charged !!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Rick58 likes this.
  10. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I just hope he took @beowulf 's advice! :laugh:

beowulf likes this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The OPs post was NOT a "totally random impulse question". It was a well constructed inquiry about how to improve his current audio situation. He provided links with specs as pertaining to his equipment and also a nice picture.
    I have no idea why YOU posted in this thread. You have absolutely nothing to offer except for your continued criticism of other members' questions. :shake:

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

I think you are reading more into it than what is there
    Everyone of us has "whims" (do I want/really need a new car or not etc)
    I was merely pointing out that the OP had moved on
    It was not a "criticism"; I was in the process of preparing my own answer (go Vintage) when I checked his profile and was about to ask if he lived in New York City or land side (to suggest a store)...............that was when I realized the inquiry was over 2 months old

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You think that's bad? We have Thread Revivals that are two years old. And 12 years old. :D

Lots of times threads continue on as the discussion is interesting to others. And, who knows, the OP might revisit and appreciate the new comments.

It's all good. :)

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Gary, BTW, LOVE your avatar !!! :D Oops, or is that not from 'Phantom of the Paradise' ??? Aha! yes it is!

Gary likes this.
  15. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha, sorry - never saw these "new" posts. Frustratingly I didn't buy anything and now a year has passed and I'm trying again. What held me up is that my very generous cousin offered to give me his refurbished Marantz 2252b for free, but I've been unable to visit him to pick it up. Still planning on spending the same budget ($1000) on speakers and shopping around again. Last year around this time I previewed some Totem Dreamcatchers and Dynaudios - and much preferred the Dynaudios. Going out this weekend to preview some stuff again... can anyone recommend some good spots in NYC?

16. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, so nearly a year later I've finally upgraded my speakers. Decided to go for a pair Totem Rainmakers. My new receiver and stands haven't arrived yet, but these sound pretty good even running through the Bose subwoofer. I know, I'm a heathen. :shh: Cheers - and thanks so much for all the advice!

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Very nice!

picassoson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.