Help:Best solution or method to remove fingerprints from my plasma TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thebeatles67, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I have a 65" Panasonic plasma TV---recently moved and got a few fingerprints and smudges on the screen--whats the best solution or method to remove them. Thanks.

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I, too, have a Panasonic plasma. When it's turned off, and if the ambient light is at the right angle, I can see a few fingerprints.

I've used some generic LCD cleaner (for phones, tablets, etc.). It hasn't damaged anything, but then it didn't totally remove the fingerprints, either. I'm guessing the screen cover is a different type of glass compared to phones or tablets.

Anyway, because I never see the fingerprints while watching the set, I stopped worrying about it.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

Just slightly dampen a microfibre or lens cleaning cloth with plain old water, should do the trick.

Vidiot and RK2249 like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Don't touch the screen. :)

But yeah, what moops said, or a damp sponge with a trace amount of dish soap detergent to cut through any grease, then finish with a rinsed, damp sponge.

5. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

moops likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My Panasonic plasma remote buttons sticking. Some not working. I've seen some youtube diy videos, not for the faint hearted. Get another same model remote I suppose?

7. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I have sucessfully taken one apart, and cleaned it. The contacts for the buttons were very dirty on a few. It took about a half hour, tought to get the remote to separate, but well worth doing.
    Try it, it sorta has to be pried apart after a screw or two are removed near the batteries I believe.
    I used windex (sparingly and not sure this is best, but worked fine) and a soft cloth to clean it all, and was careful, now it is like new again!
    Let it dry thoroughly before reassembling.
    Not that hard to do, once I figured it out. A few months back so forget all the details, but try it at least.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bought a replacement remote on eBay for $15 and threw the old remote away.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've fixed dozens of remotes. Really easy.

The buttons are always made of a synthetic rubber which is premeable to sweat and skin oils, which seep through and get on the contacts. They are usually only held together with a single screw usually underneath the battery compartment door. Pop the door off, remove the screw and you'll have to pry open the plastic shell of the remote. They snap together and you might want to run something like a guitar pick inside the edge.

Once it's apart, you'll see the circuit board with screws holding it to the front half of the remote. Remove those screws and the board will lift off, exposing the synthetic rubber button part.

Peel that out, and wash it with hand soap. No, I'm not kidding - hand soap is ideal for removing hand oils.

Once scrubbed and rinsed, dry the button part thoroughly. There are little rubber pads inside each button to contacts the circuit board.

I usually clean each button pad very lightly with a pencil eraser. I'll also use the eraser, on each pair of contacts on the circuit board.

Unless the remote has actually been soaked with a liquid, this is all you need to do. If it has been soaked with a liquid you may have to run the circuit board through a dishwasher.

Again, I'm not kidding, this is how a rosin from soldering is removed these days, where they used to use a liquid fluorocarbon. Again the secret is to get it entirely dry before any electricity is applied.

I once too a MacBook Pro apart like this, that a friend of a friend had accidentally dumped an entire large coffee on. Luckily she had the with to pull the power cord and battery out (before Apple decided that removable batteries were a bad thing). I took the computer apart, washed each part except the LCD screen, put it back together and it worked for several more years.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.