Help Bob identify a song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bob_32_116, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur Thread Starter

I don't usually post this sort of thing because I know how difficult it is for people reading the inevitably limited descriptions of a song that someone heard. However...

I heard this song today at the doctor's surgery, The doctor had no idea who it was, of course.
    It may have been on a "classics" radio station, or more likely a playlist that someone had put together for broadcasting in the surgery. Either way, this song was sandwiched in among others that were all familiar to me and quite well known, eg. Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman; The Eagles - Tequila Sunrise; Pink Floyd - Us and Them. That sort of thing. It leads be to believe that the song most likely came from a similar period, i.e. the 1970s, or possibly the 1980s, and that it might be a song that was popular but which I had not heard for some reason.

The song itself was sung by a youngish-sounding woman, over a backing that sounded like a synth in keyboard mode. There were a lot of notes in the backing, arpeggios rather than chords. It reminded me a little of "All Through the Night" by Cyndi Lauper; the voice was also not that different from Cyndi's but I don't think it was her. It was also slightly reminiscent of "The Crying Game" by Boy George. Those should give you an idea of the song's style.

I tried hard to catch the lyrics, but all I could make out was something like "I know there's someone out there waiting just for me", repeated a number of times. I only have relative pitch, not absolute, but if the song had been in C major then the last line of the refrain would have gone

F major "I know there's"
    G major "someone ... waiting"
    E minor "out there... just for"
    A minor "me"

That's if my hearing of the words was correct.

I was quite impressed with the song, obviously, otherwise I would not be going to the bother of trying to identify it.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

Has to be - Madonna.

GoodKitty and bxbluesman like this.
  3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

That's a good guess .....:righton:
    Great song ..... a bonus track from 1998's Ray Of Light ....
    doesn't quite fit the context of the other songs mentioned though ....

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Another vote for Madonna - “Has to be” cut.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm thinking that you guys may already have this with that Madonna song, but I'll throw this one in the to be considered pile.

6. bob_32_116

Thanks for the suggestions, people. No it's not that Madonna one, nor the Ellie Goulding. That one by Madonna is a good song that I hadn't heard before, but my song was a little faster in tempo.

It did occur to me that the singer might have been Madonna, so I'll maybe scan through her catalogue.

7. bob_32_116

The more I hear of Madonna, the more I feel this song really sounds like Madonna. Some of the songs on Ray of Light, especially The Power of Good-Bye, are very similar in style to the one I heard - but, to paraphrase U2, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Just a stab in the dark:

9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

One more stab at it:

10. bob_32_116

@Obtuse1 thanks but it's neither of those. It's somewhat faster than that Shannon song, and does not have beats nearly as prominent.

Can people suggest other artists that sound similar to Madonna, specifically how she sounds on songs such as "The Power of Good-bye"?

11. Chris C

@bob_32_116, I'm gonna go out on a limb since I re-read your initial post, with your thinking that the song may be from the late '70's.

Could it possibly be the late Nicolette Larson singing Neil Young's "Lotta Love"?

12. bob_32_116

Nope, not Nicolette Larsen.

The more I try to think of similar sounding songs, the more I come back to "All Through the Night",

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

15. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Hmmmm . . . Bonnie Raitt "All At Once"?

16. bob_32_116

A valiant effort with Dawn of Demise, but that's not it. :D

Not Christina Millan either, thank you Mark.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. bob_32_116

No, that one is much too slow.

Judging by the other songs on the playlist, I'd say my song must have been a good sized hit in certain places, definitely not a "deep cut".

18. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt -- "Heartbeats Accelerating?"

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  19. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

EDIT: Oops was posting while someone else did. Sure seems pretty close though.

21. Chris C

As a radio guy I'm trying to think of what "female lead vocal" song that I would (or could) sandwich in between those songs?

So many questions to ask ...

Is the song one that you've heard before (Is it a song that you're possibly familiar with)?

Were you in surgery, as you may have dreamed the song for all we know?

You are in Australia, so could it be an artist that we here in the U.S. might not know?

I'm sure there are a lot of us reading your thread and we don't know how to read music, so your F to G to E to A minor is of little use. Any other way that you could describe what you think that you heard?

22. Chris C

Real out on a limb try here, but I guess that Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues could sound like a female, especially if you were under sedation ...

23. bob_32_116

My responses are inserted into the quote.

Thanks everyone for your efforts.

24. bob_32_116

I'd have to be very heavily sedated!

No, that song has much too much percussion. Try to focus on songs that are similar in style to "All Through the Night", especially the opening part of that song.

I know what will happen. Eventually I will identify it, and people will say "But that sounds nothing like the Cyndi Lauper song!" But right now that's the best way I can think of to describe it.

Chris C likes this.
  25. Chris C

Thanks for answering my questions! I was once in surgery and I came out while he was still working on me and I heard Dave Matthews Band. I immediately said "Oh, the Dave Matthews Band" and my doctor said "oh hi Chris" and the next thing I know it was back to la-la land until I woke up and it was all over!

Jerk The Handle and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.