*Help* Compiling "Lost Classics" for a radio station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually, Space Cowboy is in station's TM Century libraries so forget about that. It isn't a lost classic found.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

My is more rock side:
    Untie The Knot - Bad Company
    Night Flight- Led Zep
    Pictures Of Home- Deep Purple
    Seasons Of Wither- Aerosmith
    The Wizard- Black Sabbath
    Teaser- Tommy Bolin
    I Stole Your Love- Kiss
    Be My Friend- Free

3. BradOlson

When my local Real Country affiliate plays "lost classics found" locally, they do play songs that weren't previously in their library: For example: They did play "Maggie's Dream" by Don Williams which they didn't have previously and they often play "I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake (But I'll Go Chasin' Wimmin)" by Jimmy Dean, tracks on the Varese Tommy Overstreet CD as there are only 2 songs in the TM Century Traditional Country library.

The TM Century Classic Rock library is listed at http://www.tmcentury.com/products/MusLibs/gwav/TMC CLSCRCK Songlist by Title.html

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Commonly on the radio where I listen; if this were played as a "lost classic" I'd consider it a joke! In fact, it's one of the very few songs Todd Rundgren ever recorded, if you believe in the Gospel According To Classic Rock Radio...

Now, you want a "lost classic," you dig up the original "Hello It's Me" by Nazz! Not to mention "Open My Eyes"...

Oops, since I started again, here's some more:

"Little Games" -- The Yardbirds
    "Holiday" -- Nazareth
    "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" -- Argent
    "Oh Well" -- The Rockets
    "Hot Love, Cold World" -- Bob Welch
    "One Hit (To the Body)" -- The Rolling Stones
    "Harry Truman" -- Chicago
    "Worse Comes to Worst" -- Billy Joel
    "Children of the Sun" -- Billy Thorpe
    "Crawling from the Wreckage" -- Dave Edmunds
    "The House of the Rising Sun" -- Frijid Pink
    "What Makes You Think You're the One" or "Brown Eyes" or "Storms" or "Beautiful Child" or anything from the Tusk album except "Sara" -- Fleetwood Mac

Not everything I mention was released as singles, but many of them were heard on FM radio in olden days, and others are similar to, or by the same artists as, songs that you already hear on "classic rock" radio. But these rarely get airplay.

5. vex

vex New Member

Well, I don't listen to the radio at all, so my list is more of a "shot in the dark" at what the radio might be a-missing now-a-days. :p

6. BradOlson

In fact, one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs is the title track from "Tusk."

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Ooh goody, a chance to plug my favorite "lost" 80s songs. How 'bout:

When U Were Mine--Mitch Ryder
    Lunatic Fringe--Red Ryder
    Solid Rock--Goanna
    Beat's So Lonely--Charlie Sexton
    Get Started. Start a Fire--Graham Parker
    Don't Answer Me--Alan Parsons Project
    Runner--Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    Fields of Fire--Big Country
    She Talks in Stereo--Gary Myrick
    Salt in My Tears--Martin Briley
    Naughty Naughty--John Parr
    Take It Easy--Andy Taylor (the Duran Duran guy, NOT the sheriff of Mayberry!):D

8. tim_neely

That's cool; I, alas, listen to the radio way too much! That's one reason I'm so passionate about songs that "fit the format" that ought to get on the air more often...

Still more: :laugh:

"Pickin' Up the Pieces" or "Good Feelin' to Know" -- Poco
    "Mrs. Vandebilt" or "Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" -- Paul McCartney & Wings
    "Dolly Dagger" -- Jimi Hendrix
    "Keep Yourself Alive" or "Seven Seas of Rhye" or "Who Wants to Live Forever" or "The Show Must Go On" or "Don't Stop Me Now" -- Queen
    "Hello Old Friend" -- Eric Clapton
    "Atlantic City" or "The Fever" or "Sherry Darling" -- Bruce Springsteen

9. tim_neely

Me too! And until the new Very Best Of CD, I thought the place where it sounded best was on an original Warner Bros. 45.

10. vex

vex New Member

Right on! I used to be a total radiohead until I started acquiring more audio software than single person should have a right to own (and the disease just keeps spreading).

As for your pick of the Rockets - "Oh Well", good one! Thanks to that song being on the radio, I searched out the original by Fleetwood Mac and discovered one of the finest albums ever crafted: "Then Play On". That naturally led to my discovery of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, which in turn led me down a whole new path (I had an unnatural fascination with KISS at the time).

It is those discoveries via the radio that I miss, but I now get the same kind of fix through recommendations from places such as this. Case in point, Beagle's recommendation of Tom McRae "Just Like Blood". That one sounds right up my alley. I'll certainly be checking it out.

[ramble mode: off]

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Those are good. We also used to play:

Spirit in the Night
    Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
    4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
    Badlands
    Thunder Road
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
    Prove It All Night

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

YES-Going For The One, Wonderous Stories, Tempus Fugit

13. vex

vex New Member

Okay, getting myself back on track...

Speaking of Bruce Springsteen, I went out and bought "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" when I heard "Adam Raised A Cain" on the radio. Funny thing is, I don't think that song ever became a hit and was probably a fluke that they played it on the radio. I've never been a huge Bruce fan but I still love that song and that album. I'll throw in "Adam Raised A Cain" as another candidate for a "lost classic".

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

White Bird - It's a Beautiful Day
    Train Leaves Here This Morning - Eagles
    Panama Red - New Riders of the Purple Sage
    Hey Grandma - Moby Grape
    Sin City - Flying Burrito Bros.

15. vex

vex New Member

Ooh! Sorry to keep dumping on this thread, but I just thought of another great one:

April Wine - Roller

16. BradOlson

I do have the 2 LP set of the Tusk album in my collection which is packaged the way the CD should be packaged, minus the 45 edit of Sara obviously. The CD version of Tusk should be at least a 2 CD set with both the album and single version of Sara.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Rolling Stones- You can't go wrong w/ anything on Hot Rocks 2 (for lesser known hits by them)

Bruce Springsteen- Any song featured on the Live Box Set can be used since most of those versions are better than the studio IMHO. Every song is great on there.

Led Zeppelin- Box Set 2 - everything on this can be used since these songs are barely on the radio (Down By The Seaside, Black Country Woman, The Rover, etc.)

18. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Couldn't I Just Tell You - Todd Rundgren
    We're For The Dark - Badfinger
    September Gurls - Big Star
    'Til I Die - Beach Boys
    A Simple Twist Of Fate - Bob Dylan
    U.M.C. - Bob Seger
    Kick Out The Jams - MC5
    Head Held High - Velvet Underground
    Sweet Lady Mary - Faces
    Loving Cup - Rolling Stones
    The Old Laughing Lady - Neil Young
    1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) - Jimi Hendrix
    Panic In Detroit - David Bowie
    Naked Eye - Who
    Your Saving Grace - Steve Miller Band
    Ol' 55 - Tom Waits (Eagles cover could work if "name" act is needed)
    Between Clark And Hilldale - Love
    The Wasp (Texas Radio And The Big Beat) - Doors
    Christine's Tune - Flying Burrito Brothers

Agreed with bartels on the Springsteen live stuff. I'm especially fond of the live version of "The River", which he introduces by telling a great story about his relationship with his father and his Vietnam draft physical.

19. I'm a little confused by some of the suggestions being offered. I worked in FM rock radio and AM CHR radio from 1979 to 1986 and in AM oldies radio from '86 to '90. I don't recall several of these tunes ever being played on commercial FM radio. The station I worked for was "consulted" by the Canadian wing of "Burkhart Abrams Inc.", "Joint Communications" out of Toronto. Songs were colour coded with dots and were slotted into various categories such as "current single", "current album track(s)", "gold", etc.

Pretty much every major and medium market in Canada and the U.S. had a "Superstars" station that was controlled by Kent Burkhart and Lee Abrams. :realmad: Those stations never played songs such as "See Emily Play" or "Goodbye T-Jane", "Flying Burito Brothers", or "It's A Beautiful Day". We could only wish. :rolleyes: My hat is off to this station if they will consider playing such tunes. :thumbsup:

Lee Abrams who's still in the business today, somewhere, is to blame for the sorry state of radio. A quote I recently read said something to the effect that Abrams "opened the Pandora's Box of sterile radio" back in the late 1970s, and 1980s. It is thought that Abrams developed the first radio acronym, AOR (album oriented rock). :rolleyes: He was known in the trenches as "Darth Abrams".
    I just found out where Abrams is today and I quote, "Now that he (Abrams) has successfully picked the carcass of FM radio clean, Abrams is currently The Chief Programming Officer of XM. He's basically out to destroy the industry he created with counter-programming that more resembles progressive radio than anything he's done in the last 30 years.
    Unbelievable! :eek: I actually read another quote directly from Abrams who said something to the effect of that he's now out to "make up for his sins of the past". :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what constitues a "lost classic" but here are some suggestions.

Jethro Tull - Teacher, Bungle In The Jungle
    Moon Martin - Rolene
    Donnie Iris - Ah Leah
    John Miles - Music
    10CC - Art For Arts Sake, Rubber Bullets, I'm Mandy (Fly Me), Wallstreet Shuffle
    Queen - Hammer To Fall, I Want To Break Free
    Quicksilver Messenger Service - Three Or Four Feet From Home
    Yes - Into The Lens, Don't Kill The Whales, Starship Trooper, The Clap
    Tom Petty / Heartbreakers - I Need To Know, Breakdown, American Girl
    Mike Oldfield - Family Man
    Utopia - Road To Utopia
    Roxy Music (I know they had more exposure up here. This is what we played back then.) - In Every Dream Home A Heartache, Song For Europe, Both Ends Burning, Love Is The Drug, Jealous Guy
    Brian Ferry - Tokyo
    Rush - Tom Sawyer, Closer To The Heart, New World Man, In The Mood
    Jay Ferguson - Shakedown Cruise, Thunder Island
    Jo Jo Gunne - Run Run Run
    Dire Straits - Twisting By The Pool, Private Investigations, Communiqué, Romeo and Juliet, Industrial Disease. We even occasionally played Telegraph Road.
    Cheap Trick - Surrender, The Dream Police
    The Who - Join Together, Athena, Eminance Front, Cry If You Want, 905, Dreaming From The Waist

20. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Sparks - "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us"
    Splinter - Costafine Town
    The Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays"
    10CC - "The Wall Street Shuffle"

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Dance With The Devil by Cozy Powell

Half the stuff on Rhino's "Have A Nice Day" series

22. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

This Beat Goes On/Switchin' To Glide - The Kings
    Another Park, Another Sunday - The Doobie Brothers
    L.A. Goodbye - The Ides Of March
    Room To Move - John Mayall
    Satin Red And Black Velvet Woman - Dave Mason (Does ANYBODY remember that one?)
    Living Without You - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    I'm Your Captain - Grand Funk Railroad
    All That You Dream - Little Feat

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course! Great song.

24. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steel Woole,

Do you know where I can find this track on CD?

Bob:)

25. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I don't know why that hasn't been remastered. With the Lp version of "Sara" AND the 45 edit, you're still under 79 minutes of music.

According to ICE, a DVD-A of TUSK may be in our future:)

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.