Help! Demagnetized MC cart?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

I tried adding some metal spacers to my head shell (to add to the effective mass) of my tonearm. But those suckers were magnetic. I’m wondering if I’ve somehow demagnetized my Denon-110 MC cart. When I place it on the turntable, it sounds as if I don’t have a preamp (I use a receiver, and have never had a problem before). Very faint sound.

Anyone know what might be going on?

2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Well yea it is very possible but I suspect that may not be the case. You can use a demagnetizer on your MC carts, some mfg suggest this. Never use it on a MM cart!!! Did you remove the wires to install the spacers? If so check that you put them back correctly.....Also I assume you removed the spacers. If all connections look correct then its possible you did damage the Denon.

3. LitHum05

I did damage it. I switched a different cartridge in and that one worked. Now I’m getting nothing at all with the Denon. Not even a low signal. 5 dollar magnetic spacers just ruined my $300 cart? Can it be?

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The cartridge was producing a faint sound after removal of the magnetized spacers? Then shortly after (without further exposure to the spacers) it produces zero sound? The problem is not caused by the spacers. Never good to have anything magnetic near a cartridge, nor AC magnetic fields (worse) actually it's an AC magnetic field that destroys permanent magnets over and above another permanent magnet.

llama likes this.
  5. harby

harby Forum Resident

It is possible that you just broke the cartridge internally with repeated reinstallation, for example, by twisting the pins which broke or shorted the tiny internal wires.

A permanent magnet, or metal that inadvertently became magnetic, is extremely unlikely to demagnetize another magnet, especially in a coherent way that would make a cartridge non-functional. Permanent magnets have a high material coercitivity. You can stick hobby magnets to each other over and over again and they continue to work.

Other metal materials such as steel (or cartridge shims) can be made magnetic though. Stroke a screwdriver about 20 times the same direction against a woofer magnet if you want a magnetic screwdriver.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. LitHum05

I put in additional spacers bought from Amazon to addd weight. Got a faint response on my headphones upon play. I took out the spacers, tried again. Same response. Swapped in an AT95 mm cart and it worked. Tried once again with the original Denon MC cart and got nothing this time. It’s like the Denon has died on me. I’m assuming it has something to do with adding these magnetic weights. They stuck to the suspension at one point. Very strong magnet combination with the MC cart.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

You may want to contact Denon and ask whether placing metal spacers on the DL-110 is safe. Are the spacers supplied with carts de-magnetized?
    I have run 2 DL-110 carts (on a Denon S-shaped arm), and have never thought about adding spacers. Sorry to hear your trouble with this. The DL-110 is a favorite of mine.

LitHum05 likes this.
  8. doak

doak Senior Member

Cheap, EZ and nondangerous way to demag an MC or MM cart:

9. LitHum05

Yes. The Denon came with one spacer, demagnetized. The ones I added were not. I suppose I could write them to find out.

10. LitHum05

I also use a Denon table, DP-1100. But the 110 is just under the weight recommended for the tonearm: 5-11g. I was trying to get the total mass to 5g. Also the 110 added static I never had before with an mm cart.

11. Chris Schoen

Ya, the 110 is very sensitive to static or record condition. But on the right records, it's got such an enormous sound stage, it's like candy for the ears.

12. LitHum05

I know. I feel like I’ve been spoiled by it. But the constant static with some records has me thinking an mm cart is in my future. I’m thinking of an AT440MLB.

13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I am a physicist. No way a metal piece, even if magnetic, can demagnetise a MC cartridge by proximity. No way. Damage was something else.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Go for the VM540. I am running one (along with the DL-110), and it is really nice. :righton:

15. LitHum05

How does it compare to the 440? Isn’t the next step up in the AT line?

16. Chris Schoen

I like it the same (have had 2 440's) - the 540 is a little "flatter", which (imo) is a good thing. Tracks as well as a 440.
    Has the detail and is a little "bright" but mellows out after 50 hrs. or so. I would buy another one.
    The 540 replaces the 440 in the AT cart line now.

LitHum05 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.