Help figuring out imaging problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by redchiro, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident Thread Starter

This question was originally posed in the Polk LSiM speaker thread. The problem is the stereo image is skewed to the left. I replaced a pair of Polk 705's with 707's and while setting them up, noticed a huge problem. Discovered spkrs were wired out of phase and although that made a big difference once corrected, the balance was still off. Difficulty I am having is there are 3 unknowns in this equation: I pulled my old Onkyo TX-NR3007 out of storage and replaced the Sony 7ES AVR that I was using for 2 channel with the Polk 705's. Then I added a Sony x800 4k bluray, connected via HDMI to the Onkyo. It is also connected via a second HDMI output to my Sony 900E 4k TV. This system was running with fronts, center, sub, the Onkyo, the Sony 800 and initially the Polk 705's. Now the Polk 707's are in the system. Still have not connected the surrounds. The Sony 800 plays bluray, cd, sacd, DVD-audio but only via HDMI. My plan was to use this for all my music listening because my Sony 707 sacd player died. In the past this Onkyo was used via 2 sets of all analog connections for movies and cd/sacd. It was fine and sounded great. So, now all the imaging is skewed left. I ran the Onkyo calibration test tones and the rt spkr does show a slightly lower output using my Radio Shack meter. Then I played a mono cd and put the Onkyo in direct and pure direct mode and still notice the same left skew. Not as obvious as with a stereo cd. BUT, when I switched the Onkyo to mono, while playing the mono cd, everything was perfect. That is where I ended up. Guess I need to try analogue connections to the Onkyo, replace the Sony 800 as the source, switch the left and right front spkrs, and maybe even lug the 705's back downstairs and switch them with the 707's. So, still not sure if I have a mismatched pair of spkrs, an HDMI problem, an AVR channel problem, or an ear problem. Would the test I did by playing a mono cd with the AVR still in stereo mode and still noticing the soundstage was skewed left, then switching the AVR into mono mode, which made everything seem correct, indicate an amp problem? Did the AVR sum everything in mono and mask a left channel dominance? Maybe it is the pre-amp? All this digital processing/HDMI is a bit confusing. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. I think that the lack of replies is due to the word density of the OP's post.
    My eyes glazed over at the enormous paragraph, and my brain disengaged immediately.

redchiro, would you mind breaking the post into easily read chunks?
    If not, I suspect that the sparsity of replies will continue ....

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

There are a lot of factors that influence stereo balance issues including the recordings themselves which are frequently imbalanced to one channel or the other. The only way to fix it is by using the balance control. You'll need to change the components to see which one is causing your issue, one component at a time.

displayname, elmoe and timind like this.
  4. elmoe

elmoe Forum Resident

Yep, as said above remove components one at a time until the culprit is found.

displayname likes this.
  5. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Just go through everything from speaker wires down switching channels. Eventually you will find the culprit by process of elimination. For example, if you switch speaker channels, and the problem remains, then it’s the speakers. If it switches, then it’s downstream of the speakers....

6. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Adjust the balance knob towards the weaker sounding side. Problem solved.

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

What could be downstream of the speakers? I think you mean upstream of the speakers.

8. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Yes. I said it backwards. Same principal, wrong direction. I stand corrected.

displayname likes this.
  9. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

I think your educated guess of the left channel dominance thing could be correct. If I had to make a guess, it would be the AVR that has a problem / glitch.

Quick question, does your left side where the louder speaker resides have it’s own corner with no hallways or openings that connect to another room? Does the right speakers side have its own identical corner and full unbroken wall as well or does either side have any openings to other rooms or hallways that is not symmetrical to each other?

Another quick test I would do is: flip your interconnect cables from left to right, and also try reversing the direction of them (I’ve had some oddly awesome luck when I did this myself...)

Hope you figure it out and hope you aren’t going deaf in one ear faster than the other.. I fear I am on the daily....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.