Help finding the right new speakers for me

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Do you mean because the MC452 would be too much juice for the Devores?

I'm in a similar boat to the OP (C2300/MC452) and the Orangutans are on my list.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

10 grand each ? You got it !

Klipsch Palladium PF-37

[​IMG]

utahusker and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is a beauty! Have you heard it?

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes ! They are to die for ! But I'm a Klipsch nut, and have yet to listen to a model I don't like, so let your ears do the judging.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I am very well acquainted with the Heresy (and I like it) but I'm sure those sound much different. I am a bit of a speaker whore, I kind of like them all.

utahusker and The Pinhead like this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Mc dealer I bought my gear from didn't : ) He said they used to, but that B&W has gone way down hill. I have heard that from multiple people. I sat and listened to the 800 diamonds, the crazy ones that are something like $25k/pr and can honestly say I didn't see what the big deal was. This was in a large room at a dealer hooked up to almost my identical back end (C50 with MC452 and a McIntosh turntable)

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Just got back from my local dealer who initially sold me my Canton GLE 490.2 to talk about those Reference 5's ....uhhhhhhh apparently you can not buy Canton speakers in the US right now, basically at all. They have no distribution at the moment. Basically, he said as of right now it would be impossible in the United States to get Reference 5's or any Canton speakers. Bummer...

8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I don't know where Rockford Michagan is but I'd hop in my car and take a trip to Chicago and go see Brian Walsh among other dealers. Bring some music and listen to speakers. Take notes and maybe make another trip to listen again. And as long as you're there, you could look up some good blues and maybe see a Cubs game.

9. Joey_Corleone

What place does he own? A Chicago trip might be in order as well.

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

My MC dealer doesn't carry B&W either. In fact, neither of the two guys I bought my MC452 from last weekend is a fan (nor am I). Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea sonically.

Good luck in your quest, Joey!

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

A while ago I bought a pair of Magnepan 12QRs from a local guy. I went to pick them up and while there he had me listen to his current setup. I don't recall any of the model numbers but do remember the big Mc mono blocs driving a very large pair of Martin Logan speakers. I was initially skeptical about the speakers as I had listened to a pair of smaller MLs years ago and was unimpressed.
    The larger MLs absolutely blew me away. I couldn't get over the transparency, soundstage and definition I was hearing. I would've thought the room was too small but man did they sound awesome. Don't remember the model but they were nearly 6 feet tall and more than 2 feet wide.
    Don't know if this will help but wanted to share.

12. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

In thinking about planar speakers, remember the old fable.
    Dynamic box speakers are much like the missionary position; plain and boring, yes, but nonetheless a tried and true method that has been honed to perfection over a long period of time.
    Panel speakers on the other hand, are much like getting spanked by a buxom dominatrix while being watched by a goat and several of the pope's henchmen, all whilst being under the influence of several hallucinogens; much more thrilling, potentially dangerous, and for special tastes only.

13. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

As a Magnepan owner, I have the same musical tastes as you. I use a single, humble Martin Logan Dynamo sub with my MG-12's. My speakers are the last thing I would want to upgrade. In fact, I'm often dismayed by just how incredible they sound with rock and jazz - or anything I toss their way for that matter. Most "box" speakers I have heard and enjoyed cost quite a bit more than the Magnepans you are thinking about. I've resided to the fact that the enclosure is incredibly important when it comes to a box speaker...and that almost always comes with a serious price tag. If you have the space, those 3.7i's would be a tremendous speaker to have. The fact that you can save some money while getting THAT quality of sound is just a sheer bonus. I wish you much luck and success in your search though!

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I definitely don't have any first hand experience with the combination, but IIRC those speakers were voiced around low power tube amps, and I've never heard them myself powered otherwise myself or read reviews where they weren't paired with low power tubes. There's always the rule of "good speakers sound good with good amps" which I've found to be true more often then not, but I'd probably want to solicit the opinions of somebody who has heard the Orangutan/McIntosh disk-slipper amp combo.

Not really Apples to Apples, but when Mr. Devore finishes building my 3XL's I can see how they sound with my MC352.

utahusker likes this.
  15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------------------
    At this price point you MUST hear what you buy. I could never buy a car at this price without driving and speakers at this price without hearing in my own home. Surely a dealer within 2 hours of you would make the effort.

Bubbamike, SteelyTom and Rolltide like this.
  16. Your amp is going to drive just about anything. Personally, I'd go used and get the B&W 802d's. Here's a mint pair for $8,500. Use the rest of the $$$ on music. Or better yet, use the extra $$$ on room treatments.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/fu...gs-2015-05-29-speakers-60175-saint-charles-il

[​IMG]

mojomojo and Dennis0675 like this.
  17. I kinda disagree on needing to hear everything. Honestly, unless you are hearing it on the same setup and in the same room, don't expect it to sound the same in your house.

I think you're better off finding a combo that is generally agreed to be a great match and just go with that. If you buy used, your risk is much lower since you can easily unload for around what you paid.

Listening to this stuff in person is kinda over-rated. At most you get a flavor for the sound, but this can be very misleading.

timind likes this.
  18. The B&W Diamond series has barely changed in the last 10 years. When a dealer tells you that a brand has "gone way down hill" what he really means is that he lost his right to sell them for some reason. Sure, you see B&W and McIntosh everywhere now that the Magnolia Best Buy stores carry them, but they are just as good as they ever were and will pair better with your McIntosh stuff than most of the other speakers you've listed.

It's all about getting the speakers dialed in.

james and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

My music tastes are real close to yours, and I have owned a pair of Legacy Convergence towers for at least 15 years. They were replaced pretty much by the Focus model. Anybody that has sat and listened to my Convergence have been more than impressed. They literally Rock! The Focus has several models, any of which, if I was looking, would suit me just fine. But I haven't tired of mine yet, and my wife thinks I would be nuts to get rid of them.
    Legacy usually has trade-ins and they are gone over real good before heading to a new home.

20. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

So audiophiles agonize over cables, even usb cables, phono stages, and DAC's, and don't need to hear speakers that cost $10 K before we buy? I must respectfully disagree. This is the fun of being a well-healed audiophile. But, you can let someone else chose what you might like.

Aftermath, mojomojo and Bubbamike like this.
  21. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm another who disagrees with you on this. I have auditioned speakers at a dealer and thought "wow, these are great!" Then I took them home for a real audition for a week. I could not get them to work in my room at all so back they went. I learned a lesson with that experience...in store auditions don't give you an accurate account.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's not like you leave a store with absolutely no clue as to the nature of those speakers, though. You don't get a perfect picture of how they'll sound in your room, but I don't think that's actually a reason to not even bother to try to listen to them before paying $10K for them.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm in the same camp, other than an in home audition, I take everything I hear outside my house with a grain of salt and have bought a tone of stuff without hearing it first. Some stayed and some went, and it's pretty much a crapshoot till its in your system with all your components.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is exactly right. Rarely will a retailor have anything good to say about a brand or products they don't carry.

Rolltide likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Absolutely agree. I've auditioned, or maybe should say listened to speakers at a dealer and knew immediately they weren't for me. If I was spending $10k, I'd like to hear them, as well as see them before taking them home. I would not however, base my decision to buy on the in store demo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.