Help! I need somebody... (Vinyl newbie here)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SJR, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some advice re: a beginner's turntable / hi-fi setup etc.
    I love my music (CD/digital) and I'm about to take the plunge and start my vinyl journey but I'm not too sure where to start? It's bamboozling!

What do you guys think of this setup which is included in a 'package' deal at my local vinyl shop:

Rega Planar 1 Turntable
    Cambridge Audio Topaz AM100 Integrated Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio SX-50 Bookshelf Speakers

Is this a decent starter system to get me on my way or would you advise better alternatives?

Also, I enjoy listening to my music through headphones so at some point down the line would I need to be looking at a headphone amp / decent set of headphones? Any suggestions there? At the moment I tend to listen to music on the go or when I travel and own a pair of Bose QC15's.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    SJR

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I am going to leave the amp and speakers to someone else for the moment. But, since the lengths of my 'moments' vary, what is the price of this system ?
    I would skip the Rega Planar 1 and go for the Planar 2. For an extra $200 you get the much better RB220 tonearm and a heavy glass platter. These two items purchased separately would cost you $535. I know. I did it with my RP1 which was the predecessor to the Planar 1. And it makes a huge difference in sound and the ability to use much better cartridges in the future.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I checked out the other components. Seems like a fine little system. Please realize that the speakers are not going to go very low in the bass. I am out of touch with inexpensive speakers. I have a pair of AR 3a's which cost $250 each back in the day. Now they cost $1400/pair used. Bass costs money.

4. SJR

Thanks for the info John. The price is AUS $1350. What do you mean when you say the speakers won't go very low in the bass? I live in an apartment so I'm unlikely to be cranking too loud, but will this be evident listening through headphones?

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I meant that the speakers will not reproduce much in the way of low bass. Headphones are usually good at producing low bass because they do not have much air to move.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I want to add that the tonearm on the Planar 2 is excellent. I put a Rega RB202 which was the previous similar model on my Rega RP1 and I am using an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge ($524 USD) with it. The tonearm is that good. The heavier glass platter will give you much better speed stability. My RP1 came with the plastic platter as does the Planar 1. I think the plastic platter weighs about a pound or less. The glass is much heavier at about 4 to 5 pounds. I think, but I am not sure which mat comes with the Planar 2. My RP1 came with a really cheap mat and I replaced it with the mat that is in the upgrade package.

7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

What is your total budget for this project?

8. SJR

Thanks John.

9. SJR

Hi beowulf, I'm looking at around AUS $1500. I'd go $2000 max.

10. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Whatever or wherever you start
    The system you choose will evolve as you progress on your journey, I am still learning and i started in the late 60,s.
    Read up all you can, there is a great deal of info on the internet.
    Tools.
    A Shure stylus balance.
    Small mirror.
    A small block with paralell lines.
    A test record.
    Stylus brush
    Record brush.
    Basically a cartridge needs sufficient downforce to negotiate the record modulations .
    Manufacturers always give this.
    A means to provide equal forces on both sides of the record groove.
    This is called anti skate or bias .
    As a guide 1.5 g tracking force 1.5 on bias . It's usually less which a test record will confirm.
    When all this is achieved lower arm into groove and use your block with paralell lines to ensure arm tube is level to record surface.(it's actually top of cartridge). This is a starting point for Vertical Tracking Angle.
    A lot of noise is made about this but as you can see its quite straight forward.
    Cartridges need loading . Most preamps are set at 100pf. Which is usually fine.
    Enjoy

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Then get the Planar 2. It's a much better table. The weakest link in your first selection was the amplifier IMO. The speakers are OK for starters. Speakers will generally last you as long as you need them. They cannot improve the sound over what signal they are sent however, so getting good source and amp will get you good sound and longevity. By saving money on the speakers now, you can look at those later. Or just add a sub if bass is an issue in the room they are used in. I'd look at a different amp now.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and chili555 like this.
  12. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I'd move some of that money into speaker budget. Maybe half?

13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Different brands of hi fi sound different, so try to audition in your local store as much as possible, by listening to the kind of music you like best, on test. I don't think you can go wrong with Rega as a deck with a fitted Rega cartridge, whether you go for the Planar 1, 2 or 3. Over here "What Hi Fi" magazine has good web reviews of separates at different price points, which you could check out online. Brands like Monitor Audio, Mission, Tannoy and Dali normally come out well in the speaker tests. Cambridge also as a VFM amp brand alongside, say, Marantz. I don't know whether you get Arcam in Oz or the price point. I would start with your Rega of choice and then try various amp and speaker combos if you can. Bear in mind cartridge and decent cable costs (table to amp and amp to speakers), and (if the amp doesn't have one built in) a separate phono stage e.g. a Rega Fono or Fono Mini. Happy listening. Don't be afraid to haggle if you are buying a complete kit. You sound as though you also need a headphone input in the amp (normal but worth checking). If it's important to you, bear in mind too the looks, colour, and size of the gear, particularly the amp. If you've got a favourite album, that you know well and is well regarded as sounding good on vinyl, take it down to the store. Headphones: Grado are nice and great value if you can bear the fact they look rather clunky.

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Whatever you choose you will surely upgrade later.
    So i would put all-in on one component i think i can live with for very long and go on a budget for the other two.

With your budget i would personally go for an amp that is approx 1000.
    Than i would go for the planar 1 and bookshelf speakers for the difference.

My choice for example would be :
    - Rega Brio
    - Planar 1
    - Monitor audio bronze bookshelf speakers

But i have no clue what the AUD spend would be for that...

Later i would upgrade the table to something like a planar 6, then when changing room i would change the speakers and ultimately get an external preamp and a good mc cart.

In the end for me personally this would be my final analog setup, would not spend anymore when reaching that point.

And i could give the P1 and MA speakers to my son/daughter to start the hobby while going on an amp purchase with him/her and share a good family time.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for tracking force and antiskating. They built the cartridge, they know best. I still say get the Planar 2. The tonearm is so good that is it used on a $2700 SOTA Jewel as standard equipment. If you buy the Planar 1, you will regret it as soon as you want to upgrade to a really good cartridge. Plus the Planar 1 simply does not sound as good as the Planar 2. The source is the most important component. Everything is important. But an amplifier can only amplify not improve the signal. The speakers can only reproduce whatever is sent to them. Garbage in, garbage out. Get a good turntable, a good amp, and then you only have to replace one component later, the speakers.

SandAndGlass, royzak2000 and KT88 like this.
  16. SJR

Thanks everyone for the advice! The Rega Planar 2 is around AUS$800 leaving me around $1200 for the amp and speakers. I could go more but wanted to stick within a reasonable budget. What are your thoughts on these amps? Locally I see Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10, NAD C 316 BEE, Marantz PM5005, Emotive BasX A-800 all around the $1000 mark. Any advice on these brands?

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Make sure whatever amp you look at has a built-in phono stage or you'll have to budget for one of those as well, probably another AUS$200. I'd look into the Japanese brands like Marantz, Yamaha, Denon. If you can afford a bit more, the REga Brio is excellent with phono. I'd look for a used amp also if you can find some of good condition at the same shops.
    -Bill

18. SJR

Thanks Bill. What are your thoughts on the Marantz PM5005? They market it as a entry-level integrated amplifier. Would that do a decent job with the Planar 2? Is there anything else I would need barring the speakers?

19. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I just bought a vintage Sansui receiver and a pair of Advent 3's for a grand total of about $300 bucks and I'm greatly impressed. Do you have much of a used market down there?

bluemooze and PhxJohn like this.
  20. SJR

Hi lesterbangs, to be honest I've not really looked into the used market as I didn't really know what I'd be looking at so came here first up.

21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Used equipment can get you a first rate system for a bargain price compared to new. I don't swear one way or the other. Sometimes I buy brand new, other times used. It just depends on what I see, what I want, and what it costs.

lesterbangs and patient_ot like this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

With this budget, I'd spend 1K to 1500 on the speakers and 500 to 1K on the amp. Then I would listen to digital sources while saving a few months for a nice turntable, maybe something around $800 or $1K.

Also, there's many sleeper components in the budget market that can compete well with gear of 3 to 5X the price.

As an example, Yamaha integrateds like the A-S500/501 can hang with $1500 amps all day.

Epos Epics can shame many $1K speakers

The Peachtree D5 and Dali Zensor 3 speakers are alleged to be killer values as well.

SandAndGlass and bluemooze like this.
  23. SJR

Wow, that much on speakers?! I was looking at the Elac Debut speakers. What are your thoughts on these? And what amp would you recommend for them? I think I'm almost sold on a Rega Planar turntable (probably the 2) so any advice of what amp/speakers to pair would be most welcome!

24. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Please get the Planar 2 rather than the 1. Here is another reason and this says something about the tonearms. Rega sells the tonearm used on the Planar 2 as a separate item. The tonearm used on the Planar 1 is not available separately. The Planar 1 headshell is glued on. The Planar 2 tonearm is one piece from the headshell to the bearing assembly. I think the Planar 1 is great for $475 USD. But for anyone who can go $675 USD, the 2 is the bigger bargain even though it costs more. I have been down this road. I bought a RP1 because at the time there was no '2'. The next model up was the RP3 at that time and I did not want to spend that much money at that time. When I got the upgrade bug, the first things to go were the tonearm and that plastic platter.

SandAndGlass and SJR like this.
  25. SJR

Ok guys, I've done a little more reading/research until I can get to my local dealer at the weekend and see/hear in person, and I've stretched the budget a little. What do you think of this setup:

Rega Planar 2 Turntable (this seems to be settled upon in my mind)
    Cambridge Audio CX A60 Amp; Marantz PM5005/6006; NAD C 338 Hybrid (still not so sure which brand is better performing/most reliable or in terms of output will power a system for years to come)
    Elac Debut B5, Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or KEF Q100 (these are half price from $949 to $500) bookshelf speakers.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.