Help ID a classical CD compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a 4-CD classical compilation that, despite much online searching, I can't seem to find any information about whatsoever. It's like this CD doesn't even exist! :p I know it's not uncommon for budget collections to be missing from music databases like RYM and Discogs, but this one is especially frustrating because there's no information about the performer(s) anywhere on the package... the title of each classical piece is listed, along with the original composer, but there's no mention of what orchestra is performing each track. For all I know, the entire compilation could be one orchestra, or it could be a bunch of different ones. No recording dates are given, either. Here's what little info I can supply:

Title: Classical Greatest Hits
    Label: Direct Source Special Products
    Release date: 2004
    Catalog #: CSL-4-39492
    UPC: 7-79836-39492-7

Package: The collection comes in a cardboard slipcase, containing 2 individual jewel cases. Each jewel case is individually titled ("Master Pieces" and "Master Composers") and each contains 2 discs. Due to the individual titles, and the fact that each jewel case has its own catalog number, I wouldn't be surprised if this collection is just a re-packaging of 2 previously-released compilations. (Each jewel case also says "The Essential Classical Collection" and "Classicworks" on the cover). There are a total of 42 tracks in this collection, and most of the tracks are well-known pieces from the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, Schubert, Berlioz, Ravel, etc.

So, hopefully there's someone out there who knows something about this particular compilation. I'm mainly looking for info about the specific orchestra(s) that are performing these pieces... although any sort of confirmation that this CD exists would also be welcome, since it doesn't seem to be mentioned online anywhere at all! ;)

2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Direct Source is a budget label that clogged many a K-Mart & Walmart with demos listed as "Greatest Hits",sound-alike tributes and,yes,notorious for re-packaging material. Their goal-find a fad,exploit it and move on. Christmas, Kids Bop,Yoga,classical music combined with nature sounds. I suspect in 2017 they would have tried a Music For Fidget Spinners if they could find an outlet. One credit that appears on a series of their classical stuff is the St. Cecelia Symphony Orchestra,which could be just a name they slapped on Eastern European recordings,as St. Cecelia is the patron saint of musicians(13 years of Catholic education pays off). When I sold stuff like this,I kidded with customers that the labels paid for lunch for the musicians,sent checks to the composers that were never cashed,found some hoity-toity art for the cover to sell this stuff as cheap as possible. If someone liked it,fine. If not,it never blew a hole out of the budget. You know the phrase"we spare no expense"?Well,Direct Source certainly knew how to spare expenses.

Galley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.