Help Identifying DCC Cut-Out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PMC7027, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I just received a copy of The Everly Brothers' Best on DCC (GZS-1141) in the mail from Tower Records. How do I tell if it is a cut out without opening it? I paid full price ($26.99) and the outside of the package (slip case) looks perfect. I can't, of course, see if the jewel case has a cut out notch. I know that Tom Port sells the title as a cut out for less than $20.

BTW - I don't want to open the package because it is a duplicate copy.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Wouldn't the whole package have a cut out mark? I would think so. I don't think it's a cut-out.

3. PMC7027

That's the question, Shawn. I don't have many DCCs in my collection so I don't know if a cut out jewel case was ever put in an "intact" slip case.

4. chaz

chaz Senior Member

If there's no cut mark, drill hole or other scar on the jewel box edges that are visible and no score through the bar code then is more than likely NOT a cut out.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Exactly. You would be able to see a cutout mark on either side of the jewel case. You are all set.

6. PMC7027

Thanks!

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

What is a cut out and why does it matter?

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

A cut out is a disc (LP, 45, cd) that has a cut made, a hole drilled, or some other disfiguring mark on the packaging so that it can't be returned as a full price item. The cut out bin was where all those Chocolate Watchband, Buddy Holly, and other items that didn't sell well/were overpressed (Bee Gee's Sgt. Pepper soundtrack) got sold at discount prices....

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Why would they bother to un-wrap the Cee Dee, drill it and put the slipcase over the jewel case and re-shrink wrap the Cee Dee? It's pure...I'm sure!:)

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's been done, Michael! Creating "extra value" by claiming it's sealed. Which it is, really.... :sigh: they just neglected to put "re" in front of "sealed". A minor detail really... "KOFF"

I've seen one recently. And I bought it.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

BTW, PMC7027, are there any round holes cut out in the artwork? It's another type of "cut out".

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I forgot, we're talking EBAY here...:D I was referring to the venders who distributed DCC...:)

13. PMC7027

Since I haven't opened the package I don't know...

14. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Every DCC cutout that I have bought has had a really slight mark(or score) through the barcode label on the back of the slipcase.

Having said that- it would obviously imply the packaging had been opened at one time or another to be able to do that(unless of course there is a slice through the packaging as well:D )

Chris

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Most of the cut outs I have seen are either drilled or a saw mark right through the original shrink wrap and case.
    Holes are drilled through the case into the UPC. Saw marks are on the spine and can vary in depth, sometimes just barely making it into the outer plastic layer of the case, sometimes digging into the paper on the backside of the case (on a regular cd).

My understanding was that the manufacturers do this to denote that the resellers cannot return them to the label. The retailers can still sell them for whatever they can get for them, but the labels will not support them or take them back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.