Help! I'm buying more CDs than I can listen to!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agora Mike, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agora Mike

Agora Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really enjoy visiting the used CD shops to fill out my CD collection. But, I've gotten into the habit of buying so many albums that I fear I am not giving each one the time and attention needed to really enjoy and appreciate it. I was never like this in the past, but used CDs have become so inexpensive that I find myself buying them 5 or 10 at a time.

How do you deal with this? Any strategies you use to make sure you are appreciating all the great, affordable music you are adding to your collection?

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

3. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Buy low, listen high.

musictoad, cartologist, TGH7 and 48 others like this.
  4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

It's a good time to be a CD nutter!

5. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Welcome to the club, indeed. I have about 15 CDs still sealed and waiting to be played. But it's nice knowing they're there and I'll get to them soon. :):):)

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

It is a problem. In fact it causes me to not be familiar enough with my collection that I can remember what song is on what album or even what artist does the song I am looking for. So, I have decided to whittle down my collection so I can intensely enjoy what I have rather than to flounder about trying to decide what to play. I have probably sold over 800 CDs in the last 5 years or so. I still have over 4500 left. I would like to get it down to about 3000. I think I can handle that. Back in the day, I could locate any song in an instant being very familiar with all 2000 or less CDs.

TGH7, Weirwolfe, zphage and 3 others like this.
  7. GypsyDavey

GypsyDavey Forum Pyromaniac

In the same boat myself, one of those problems you don't mind having really.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Set a limited of no more than 4 CDs a month. Spend one week each month with one of the four CDs and listen to the album several times and see which songs you like or don't like.

Mr. Explorer, dalem5467 and eric777 like this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That's just crazy talk.

10. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

Same problem but even if there are a just a couple of gooduns out of 10 I'm happy. But one thing I do, if you rip everything to iTunes that is, is order things by date added then every so often scan the last couple of months of new acquisitions in case something's been totally forgotten.

11. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I go through phases where I feel like I'm buying too much music too. There is a sort of ebb and flow to it though. Right now there are a lot of things coming out that I want, 6 months from now there might not be. Unless you're neglecting essentials for you or your family, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll eventually get around listening everything you're buying.

Dave, M321115, Mr. Explorer and 6 others like this.
  12. WilliamPoe3

WilliamPoe3 Active Member

I'll take them off your hands for free, problem solved.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My strategy? I never buy used CDs and only buy full-priced new CDs. Usually imports.

I recommend it. :)

14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

We are proud of you.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm mostly with you. I like to buy expensive OOP used CDs as well:cheers:

16. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I had gone through this same situation a year or two ago, I just got tired of buying a lot of music that in the end did not end up interesting.
    Many cds waiting to be heard and bought to fill those empty spaces in my collection. Finally I gave up being a completist and decided to stop.

It was not only an economic problem for me but a personal one when I understood that I was becoming an accumulator of "things"

Now my purchases are highly selective and I enjoy much more what I already own.

Now I buy one or two cds a month, other times just nothing. It was a personal effort and honestly it does not affect me to take things now any other way

More quality and less quantity, it is my new aptitude in this regard

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

You should stop doing that.

Or keep doing that. I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or not.

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Damn you, Esoteric Recordings reissues!:cussing:

Dave, originalsnuffy, VVK and 3 others like this.
  19. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I have the same problem... In my case, i think my memories of the '90s kick in when i used to scan the racks looking at $18 CDs and $100 4-CD box sets, so when i see near-new CDs in the racks for $4 a throw 20 years later, some type of "hoarding" endorphin starts flowing through my brain.

20. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It's the same as I do, but it's a double-edged sword. Can work to some extent, it is better to be more selective.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Join the club as has been said on this thread already.

Cds & vinyls have become my addiction for many a year. I don't care if I have no more space in my place of residence. I'm always looking for deals on cds, cd box sets, vinyl & vinyl box sets.

Addiction my dear sir. Most if not all here on Hoffman are infected with this physical media addiction. :agree::kilroy:

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm not a CD collector myself, but if your getting them cheap, what the hell!

danielbravo, Dave, lightbulb and 6 others like this.
  23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Nice to have a backlog of "new things" to listen to even if they aren't really new.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Send them to me. :)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Welcome to the rodeo, cowboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.