Help! Is this a rare Bob Dylan Record??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lewis, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lewis

john lewis New Member Thread Starter

I recently got my hands on a copy of Bob Dylan Greatest hits and am having real trouble trying to work out what release it is. I have checked a number of web sites and the copy that I have does not match any that I have been able to find. I'm hoping that there might be an expert out there that can help me? So, thanks in advance.

Here are the details: A link to the discog submision is here! along with some pictures that show the noted differences.

Catalog Number: CBS 62847
    Matrix Side A: 62847 A2
    Matrix Side B: 62847 B2

The cover is laminated on the front and the record label is orange and so I understood this to be a second release Mono. After checking however it does not exactly match any of the details associated with any of the releases.

The record itself is clearly a second release when comparing the label to copies that I have seen. It's not a first release due to "1-6 Blossom Music" being on the label instead of just Blossom Music" which shows on the first release. It's not a third release as "Mono" is not marked anywhere on the label on either side 1 or side 2.

It's when looking at the sleeve that things get interested.

As far as I know the 3 different releases of this record have variations with the sleeve non of which match the copy that I have got.

1st and 2nd Release sleeves should have 3 folded over edges on the back. Mine has none. 1st and 2nd also have a laminated front cover, as does my copy.
    3rd release sleeves do not have the folded edges (matching mine) but do have a text box at the bottom of the rear, which my copy does not have.

I have also noticed that my copy has "GB" printed on the rear of the sleeve like with the 1st and 2nd release but on my copy it is flipped 180 degrees and further up than any other copy I have ever seen.

I hope this makes sense and wish I could post some pictures. Hopefully someone will be able to help and point out that this is indeed a standard copy just one that I haven't seen.

Or could it really be a rarity??

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

BOB_DYLAN_GREATEST_UK_717f5.Large.jpg Sounds like a British Columbia import. Perhaps not.

Look like this?

3. john lewis

Not quite, the label is different. It's hard to see from your image but on my copy there is no text under "SIDE 1" on the left hand side.

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

One of us must know (sooner or later).

5. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

So not like this then, eh? (Closer look)

This.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    kozy814 likes this.
  6. john lewis

upload_2014-4-21_10-43-57.jpeg

This is the label, so from what I can see it's not like your copy.

As far as I can see the label is exactly correct for the British release. It's A2 B2 so a second release?

It's the cover that doesn't match. It's laminated on the front which is consistent with a second release but the back cover is where it's different from any other release that I have seen! searchingforagem.com details the 3 releases of this in the UK here!

On first and second releases the back cover has 3 folded over sides and as you can see mine does not.

[​IMG]

If it was the 3rd release then it should have a text box at the bottom of the rear cover and again as you can see mine does not.

Also, when I look at my copy the "GB" has been turned 180 degrees and is higher up than that on a 3rd release.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know for sure if there were any other UK releases? If there are this might be one of them (but surely they wouldn't be A2 B2 Matrix?) If not would the differences that I have noted make any real difference?

Thanks for your help chaps, we will get to the bottom of this :)

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Brain Freeze...

8. john lewis

Thanks mate

I'm pretty sure it's a second pressing. Have you seen any with the back cover that mine has got?

9. john lewis

Failing anyone on this site knowing, does anyone know of a record appraiser here in the UK that might know?

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

No, it's the fifth album by the Beatles.

Steve E. likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, it is a collectable in VG Plus and better condition. The UK Cover is also sought after.

12. john lewis

So have you seen a copy with the back cover the same as the one I have?

13. john lewis

Now I'm confused :) lol

14. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

15. john lewis

Thanks Pete

Would the use of these spare sets be quite common?

<edit> and would that make it a more collectible record?

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

'Help!', the first word of your thread. It's a Beatles LP.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's also an old Dylan boot:

bt-h007fa.jpg

18. john lewis

lol

All this hunting down which copy this I have turning my brain to mush! Beatles indeed :)

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Fortunately it is easy to find on CD. :)

20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I got that b**t as a B-day present back in the 70s; it's been MIA for years.

It contained this recording of "Dylan" singing Help!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    EndOfTheRainbow and Reader like this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Oh dear it's all gone a bit off track hasn't it!

22. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

To tell you the truth, I don't know what they did with the lacquers they didn't use. They may have scrapped them after the record was released. As far as collectability, no, because the cut was identical for both sets.

Any audio changes would be scribed as Rev #1 (revision) and so on, with the same catalogue number.

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Sorry if I offended!
    But sometimes the tangents can be more interesting than the original topic on this forum, IMHO.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  24. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

It may be what's known as a 'contract pressing'. When demand for a particular record surged unexpectedly, there wasn't always capacity at the record company's own plant to satisfy this demand. So UK record companies would outsource production elsewhere, either to one of their rivals, or to the pressing plant of one of their overseas operations. Decca seemed to be the label with the most capacity.

25. john lewis

Thanks for all your help chaps. I'm in touch with Alan Fraser so will keep you posted if and when I know what the score is :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.