Help me Build a Decent small system to play vinyl in my apartment for $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZOMPAPA216, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

In Cleveland? There are a couple that I know of that are pretty sweet. Don Better cimes to mind but he is selling very high end stuff. I would keep an eye on "play it again Sam" in the west side. Last I looked they didn't have much for speakers and tables but did have some pretty exciting amps.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

You ain't kidding there. You could build a nice vinyl setup for around $1500 just in the classifieds right here.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yeah, I mentioned it too, but it got passed right over.
    $2500 goes a loooong way when buying used.
    It seems the OP wants new only.

patient_ot and timind like this.
  4. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

At $2500 consider budgeting for a micro line or fine line cartridge. Upgrading to the Ortofon 2M Bronze on my basic Debut Carbon DC was a huge improvement for me. I assume the Exact 2 would be similar in Rega world. I would do this before buying higher end amplifier.

5. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

If you're looking into the Rega gear, contact @GoldprintAudio for pricing.

Ntotrar likes this.
  6. Lebowski

Maybe not, but I'm going to have fun finding out!

Also, the Yamaha's phono stage may still be breaking in.

7. Lebowski

The OP is a new member. No access to the classifieds yet.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

I mentioned Craigslist.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Just consider what the cost would be of all the new gear on the OP's proposed list if he could find it used. It's a process and generally involves buying an all new system then adding something used to it that blows away your new component it replaced.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Robert C and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

timind and Vinyl Addict like this.
  12. I have two systems that cost me about $2500 total. All used except for speakers. You can also go on Audiogon or just wait until you have enough posts to qualify for the sales here.

WOuld strongly suggest looking for a Marantz receiver--2230, 2270. Can be had at reasonable pricing from people who have done a nice restoration. They have enough outlets to drive anything you may want, and their phono sections are decent. Would also look at the Focal speakers. Small but sound fantastic and can be placed on bookshelves without the need for stands. The Wharfedales I believe need to be placed away from walls and sound best on stands. For turntable, I have a Technics 1800MKII that has all the adjustments needed for most any cartridge. Or, if you're lazy like I am, I got an automatic turntable so I don't have to get up to change record sides.

13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

If this is just for vinyl, how about the Lounge pre and Audioengine's HD6 powered speakers? AudioEngine sells fully warranted refurbs for $600. Leaves a lot for the vinyl rig and accessories

14. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If you have a dealer nearby I'd consider going "all Rega":

P2 w/ Carbon
    Brio
    RX bookshelves

Should come in close to $2500.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Robert C and bhazen like this.
  15. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

As for new amps, I think the as501 is great bang for buck. It's powerful (conservatively rated at 85w), has great vintage looks, and is priced really competitively. It would be perfect for the OP's space. Add a Chromecast for 40 dollars via toslink and you're streaming too. Leaves ample money for speakers/ turntable.

Difficult to ultimately say which warrants more cash - speakers vs turntable. You'll get folks in both camps, though I'd hazard a guess that most will say more cash on speakers. Both can certainly very readily become the weak point in an audio chain, whereas amp wise you can certainly purchase quality more affordably - if done wisely (like the Yammy).Yamaha A-S500 Amplifier Review & Test »

Check out the pdf on above link which attests to as500's impressive capabilities - essentially the same amp as the as501, but now that also includes a DAC too.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  16. ZOMPAPA216

ZOMPAPA216 Active Member Thread Starter

Right on I'll definitely be checking out Sam's

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. ZOMPAPA216

18. ZOMPAPA216

Not necessarily, but I think initially it would be easier.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

This bad boy for $1,100 would be real nice.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  20. ZOMPAPA216

I was going to say that I can't use them yet

21. ZOMPAPA216

Whoa!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I just looked again and it is sold :cry: At 160 honest watts, it is one of my favorite vintage SS receivers. A similar Marantz of that era will go for about 4 to 5K and many people prefer the sound of the Pioneer. To get the equivalent of that receiver in something new it would cost more than your entire budget.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

yeah - the Pioneer is nice - but it would have to be recapped and fixed. I'd go a new Integrated amp with that amount of cash. I have a nice SX650 that is collecting dust because it needs to be recapped - cleaning the pots wasn't enough and it never sounded as good as my tube gear (more indication of a recap needed.)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That shop is also a restorer of equipment. New caps on a 40 year old amp is always likely needed for sure.

rebellovw likes this.
  25. Lebowski

Of course there are other places to check out: Audiogon, Craigslist, ebay, Amazon, etc. You might find an open box or like new item on Amazon.
    And don't forget brick and mortar audio dealers. If there's a brand you like, check their website for authorized dealers then check the dealer websites. A lot of times they have demo/trade-in/clearance gear listed on their sites. You might find a bargain, and they're usually willing to ship things.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.