Help me Build a Decent small system to play vinyl in my apartment for $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZOMPAPA216, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Schiit Mani phono pre-amp: $129

Schiit Saga pre-amp: $349

Schiit Vidar power amp: $699

Elac Debut B5 speakers: $229

Rega Planar 3 turntable: $1145

That puts you $51 over budget, but a deal could be found on the Rega, or the Elacs, perhaps.

Lebowski likes this.
  2. ZOMPAPA216

ZOMPAPA216 Active Member Thread Starter

I would definitely have to look around for a deal like that because everywhere that I am looking that is about the price with no cart

3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Hanipin? No thank you...

4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I do as well. The Nad is hooked up to my main system while my amp is getting fixed. It does an admirable job.

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Get the Exact its Rega's best MM cart

dbsea likes this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

So fast it's hardly noticble by 99.9% of the population.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If the OP quit this forum and never returned I'd completely understand. All that is wanted is to play records well for $2500.00 bucks. Hell, I'm about to quit...

Keep it simple and keep it good.

eyeCalypso, Rentz and ZOMPAPA216 like this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Earlier in this this thread I posted who you should contact for pricing on Rega gear...

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  9. ZOMPAPA216

Okay I see that now gold print audio. Thanks there has just been so much input I am kind of overloaded

10. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Haha, yeah. That happens around here.
    :p

ZOMPAPA216 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Robert C likes this.
  12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't disagree. The passion that people have for the SL-1200 is compelling as is the speed accuracy as compared to the Rega. This is also half the cost of the Rega. You can do much worse and not much better for $500 on a used table.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    HiFi Guy and Vinyl Addict like this.
  14. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Ive gone from a Rega P2, then a Rega P5 then settled on a Technics 1200 and never looked back!

HiFi Guy, LarryP and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Very true. For $500 you can't do much better.
    The Rega speed issue can be cured with a Speed Box though. If that's the only issue, it's an easy fix.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm a VPI guy so the fundamental design philosophy of Rega is a bit of a 180 for me. I like a hefty platter and plinth, it seems less resonate and susceptible to footfalls.

Robert C and ZOMPAPA216 like this.
  18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i'm amazed this has gone 6pages deep, but i love reading these recommendation threads you can learn a lot (and get confused a lot)

eyeCalypso likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You can only build so many systems for yourself. It's fun to pretend and spend someone else's money.

20. LeonAlopecico

LeonAlopecico Forum Resident

I have a Pro-ject 2Xperience TT (without SB), and i am very happy with it and the SB has a better arm. I like Pro-ject because allow a better aligment. In the few cartridges i've experience, in every one i had to adjust the azimuth and if you get a line contact stylus you'll get the most if you can adjust the VTA. Both things that you can do with the pro-ject.

21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Sure, anything can be remedied, at a cost. The OP has a budget though, and we are trying to tailor our suggestions so he can stay IN budget. The Pioneer is a better made clone of that very same Technics 1200, and, for $699 he at least gets a warranty. What does he get with a used Tech for $500? - A potential headache.

22. Vinyl Addict

I was suggesting a Rega RP3 and Lounge preamp, which is in his local Craigslist.
    I'm not much of a fan of the 1200/Pioneer.

Dennis0675 and ZOMPAPA216 like this.
  23. ZOMPAPA216

MING-DA MC368-B902 tube Integrated amplifer | eBay »

Just a question, regarding amp choice would something like this be cool for starting a small tube system? Maybe this invest most of my budget into sensitive speakers and a simpler entry-level turntable like a U-turn orbit plus, or a pro-ject rpm1, or a planar 1?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

For 2500 you can get some pieces of equipment - that you'd never need to upgrade. I think the uturn tables are a poor choice - something like a RP3 like I mentioned could be your last table. I think for your budget - you could get a final table (no further need to upgrade) and a final set of speakers - ex LS50s (something at this high a level vs cheap 500$ speakers.) I'd also recommend tubes later and not as a starting point - there are much better build your own tube amp products out there - which are incredibly fun and easy to build.

You can skimp on the amp - but not on the speakers and table if you want a nice sounding long lasting system - my .02$ Speaker and turntable quality differences are huge where amps are more subtle in differences (a cheap amp can sound amazingly good but not a cheap table.)

Robert C and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I like where your head is at but in a word, "no". If there was a cheap, good and new tube amp on the market, it would be widely celebrated on this forum. That with the fact that it "ships from China" is a bit of a red flag. A 50 year old Fisher would likely be 5 times better for the same money. The safe bet for new tube integrated would be Rogue, Nighthawk, Jolida or Prima Luna. You need to find all of that used to get under 1K.

I think the U-turn would be a compromise you would come to regret. Not a bad table at all but it wont be the one you will keep if you stick with listening to records very long with good equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.