Help me Choose my Next Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Forum Resident

Tannoys have a "shouty" coloration to my ears (probably due to reflections off the walls of the "tulip" horn) that I find fatiguing. Curiously, not all horns have this coloration.

For instance, the Triangle brand use a metal dome tweeter mounted in a short horn (similar to Tannoy) that completely lacks the shouty colorations. I find the Triangle treble/upper mids to sound very low in coloration with a clean, crystalline, harmonically rich type of sound.

Triangle Signature Delta loudspeaker

It is a very different type of sound to the Spendors, which will sound a bit dull and tubby in comparison.

I also like the sound of all the various Zu Audio models that I have heard. They sound very natural in the mid-range to me and have a vivid quality that is similar (but perhaps not quite as refined as) the Triangle speakers.

I have also been impressed by speakers using Morel drive units (soft domes and mid-woofers) which tend to have a very musical, vivid, harmonically rich presentation as well.

I also (really) like speakers that use Scan-speak drive units (soft domes and mid-woofers) such as some of the Chario line of speakers as well as all the speakers in the Odyssey Line (designed by Klaus Bunge who is more well known for his SS amplifiers). The Scan-speak drivers sound very clean, musical, refined and vivid to me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Helom likes this.
  2. layman

layman Forum Resident

Odyssey Audio Loudspeakers (all Scan-speak drive units);
    1. Epiphany 4 Bookshelf 2. Kismit Reference Floorstandsters:

3. layman

layman Forum Resident

Triangle Loudspeakers:

4. Dont ask us. Ask your ears, they are the only ones that can help you. Good luck

5. layman

layman Forum Resident

Chario Academy 1 Bookshelf (using Scan-speak Drivers):

6. layman

layman Forum Resident

Morel (DIY) Speaker:

7. layman

layman Forum Resident

Zu Audio Omen Mk II Floorstander:

8. bean_counter

bean_counter Well-Known Member

+1

9. layman

layman Forum Resident

Tannoy Turnberry (sounding very good):

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. layman

layman Forum Resident

Triangle Theta Bookshelf:

11. layman

layman Forum Resident

Tannoy Kensington:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I've been listening to Tannoy Turnberries (with tulip horn) on many different amps and I do not recognize what you are talking about. I don't hear shoutiness. If anything, they sound a little dull on low listening levels. What amp did you use on the Tannoys?

13. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

I mostly agree, but I don't have a way to audition these particular options locally. All the usual suspects (Focal, Paradigm, MA, B&W, GE, Magnepan, Klispch, Revel...) are within easy driving distance but I've ruled them out.

SandAndGlass and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. Helom

It looks as though some of their Legacy models use the older "pepper pot" horn/waveguide. Have you heard the XT6F in person?

15. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have not auditioned that model.

16. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Kismet Monitors are on my very very short list.
    Very short.

17. layman

layman Forum Resident

If you attend any North American Audio Show chances are that Klaus Bunge and his Odyssey Line will be there.

Klaus is so down to earth and approachable. He has never once given me a sales pitch but has instead let me spend hours in his rooms auditioning his stuff.

He is a genius at equipment design and room setup. His rooms always sound good. His creations deserve to be more widely known.

Helom likes this.
  18. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

They don’t happen where I live sadly. I have a modded Khartago that will be joined by a Candela and Suspiro in the next few years. Im all in on Odyssey/Klaus.

19. Helom

I think I may have heard one of his rooms before and it did sound very nice if I recall correctly.

20. Helom

I haven't tried them. Heard some at a show and they were very transparent sounding, however, they seemed to lack body, as though they had a big dip around 250Hz.

21. Helom

Update: yesterday I ordered a pair of XT6Fs from a dealer one state over. They should get here this evening. They said I can return them if unsatisfied. Almost went with the Regas but figured I'd get greater room versatility with the 6" cones and taller cabinet of the Tannoys. I'll post my impressions after they clock some mileage.

22. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Yes Helom, please give us your impressions as I have a room almost exactly like yours and would like to know it the XT6Fs will fill it properly!

23. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Are those infinite baffle speakers? Maybe not easy to drive..

24. Helom

Nope, ported and 90db sensitivity.

25. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Good luck Helom - I hope that the Tannoys work out great for you. Enjoy!

Helom and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.