Help me dive into Peter Gabriel's solo career

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndyNicks, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

3 and So have always been my favorites.....honestly I could listen to So and never get tired of it maybe with the exception of "Big Time". Never was a big fan of that song. I would just go in order to get a feel for how Gabriel evolved through the years. I agree that 2 is probably the weakest album, but the Classic Records vinyl sure sounds great! I know it may be overplayed, but In Your Eyes is just a masterpiece.

- Buck

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I saw PG's club tour in support of the Scratch album, and "Waiting for the Big One" was a performance highlight, including a stroll through the crowd.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Us and Secret World Live are must haves too IMHO. As well as everything before it and UP. After that he lost me.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  4. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

You are a lucky guy, I should be there also to watch the live version of this song but it does not fit in the album and the Blues are not the best choice for Peter IMO.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm confused by so many posters concentrating only on the self-titled albums. Yes, 3 & 4 are my personal favourites, but there's a lot more to PG than just that quartet.

I think that Up was a genuine return to form: certainly his best since So and arguably his best since Security (4). Scratch My Back has its moments (the version of 'Boy In The Bubble' is amazing, but I couldn' recommend the album as a whole.)

I think that the Growing Up Live DVD is as good an entry point for a new listener as any: the showmanship is very impressive indeed and gives a real sense of where PG is 'coming from' as a performing artist. (Don't accidentally buy the Still Growing Up DVD though because it's nowhere near as revelatory!)

LivingForever likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This, and I agree the first two might be his worst but the journey will be fantastic.

AndyNicks and scribbs like this.
  7. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Well, since Up is his latest studio recording - what exactly did you lose?

I find brilliant moments in all his releases, my favorites being 1 (Car) and 3 (Melt).

Also he has given us a very strong output of DVD/Bluray releases:
    • Live in Athens (Live 80's)
    • Secret World Live (Live 90's)
    • Growing Up Live (Live 00's)
    • Play (Video collection with superb 5.1-mixes and stellar sound quality)
    • New Blood (Live 10's with orchestra)
    • Back to Front (Live 10's)

8. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Well, I am dumbfounded. I can't believe this. His first two albums the worst? PG2/Scratch a patchy album? Wot!
    Me and my friends grew up on this stuff. We ate it up. I absolutely love Gabriel's first two albums.
    You guys need to listen to these again, that's what I think!

Aris likes this.
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I would steer clear of the Shaking the Tree compilation as many of the songs are edited in some way. Anyway, I find the songs work better in the context of their parent albums. Gabriel's music is some of the most moving I have heard and I don't find myself listening to it as often as I once did for that reason. But when I do, it's an event. His music is meant to be played loud. Incredible stuff.

JeffMo and dartira like this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I grew up with So, and still find this his best album. Going back in time I can recommend Security (4) and Melt (3). But I like Peter better if he doesn't sound like the old Genesis, so for me OVO and Up are both great albums. I also like his tracks in Big Blue Ball.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Some of us came at PG solo work in the early or mid 80s, and then went backward. In that context you can probably see why his first two albums and all the early Genesis work is a little less accessible. But I will do what you said and play those two again!

That comp omits "In Your Eyes" too, which is really a slap in the face by the record company. I agree with your assessment, although the comp works well in the car for a road trip.

12. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The original version, on the "car" album is far superior.

Since everyone has a different order for the first 4 albums, you might as well get them all and decide for yourself. I prefer the first one.

AndyNicks likes this.
  13. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I endorse the advice to listen to PG 1- 4 in that order; it's fascinating to see (hear!) an artist change and develop as a human over a period of time. And as we've seen, one person's 'worst' song is another's 'best' song. I also rate Us and Up highly too.

Darby, AndyNicks and sound chaser like this.
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well his Rabbit Proof Fence, Scratch My Back, OVO, stuff like that.

15. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Hey thanks...
    Actually, I first heard Gabriel's work in the early 80's as well. By the time I (and my little group of school friends) was 17, in 1989, we sort of got into this stuff together: early Genesis, Gabriel, along with a lot of other music.
    I'm very emotional about these records, apparently. Didn't realise just how much until I saw someone call PG2 a weaker album. :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great posts! Looks Like I'll be heading to my local brick and mortar. They had 1-4 in the used bins the other day. Hope they're still there!

c-eling and dartira like this.
  17. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I only have "1", So and The Passion but this track remixed by the late great Martyn Bennett is wonderful -

c-eling likes this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I would not recommend the second album for someone just getting into Peter Gabriel. Any of the other albums are good though I also wouldn't begin with Up or Us either but they are good albums.

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Re: "Here Comes The Flood"
    I'm sorry, but that is objectively incorrect ;)

20. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Oops. Sorry. (Maybe a gort can correct that?)

curbach likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I agree, love Up, I think it's a great album, I remember buying it on release day and playing it at a local bar for my friends, suffice to say I was not the life of the party :laugh: It's best endured by one's self

ippudo and JeffMo like this.
  22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I've said it in another thread, but I think this is the best version of that song. Simple. Perfect.

Yost likes this.
  23. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

II and III are the only ones I go back to, but I would say that his catalog is pretty consistent, if you're into that sort of thing, so if you're into it I'd say that you'll like all of it through the Us album.

Things get patchier after that, IMO.

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'd recommend the same.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I personally love Up, but it is not aptly named. Very dark album!

ippudo and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.