Help me dive into Peter Gabriel's solo career

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndyNicks, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm surprised a smart ass didn't respond "Start with Peter Gabriel, then move on to Peter Gabriel, and finally give Peter Gabriel a try."

PG is such a sellout for naming his albums from Security onward! :)

Max Florian, LEONPROFF and scribbs like this.
  2. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

YMMV I guess. I prefer the exposure (deliberate) of Gabriel's voice on the chorus of the Fripp version. It was the first version I heard, mind - so to my brain it was the original and the bigness came as a shock. A completely great song either way.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

"Security"? In Europe it was called "Peter Gabriel". :D

Max Florian, Darby, LEONPROFF and 3 others like this.
  4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Glad to see some love for "Up". It's a really great record even if it's one of the biggest downers ever.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It's also pretty amazing in 5.1. Too bad it's the only one. I would kill for 3 and 4 in surround.

elee532 and LEONPROFF like this.
  6. dude

dude Senior Member

His first is one of the greatest debut records ever. And the second is another slam dunk. After that I thought he got too lost in trends (though he probably started some) and technology.

AndyNicks likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

1 is overproduced
    2 is under produced
    3 has too many guest stars
    4 is too dark
    So is too eighties

Max Florian likes this.
  8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I would suggest discovering them in chronological order. He definitely refined his approach over time, at least up until IV (Security).

danielbravo likes this.
  9. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I would recommend you start with the first four albums in the order as them were released. Then would go with his more commercial albums: SO and US. If you do not like his more experimental side, then go with SO and US (which are good for beginners)
    Passion, OVO and UP are very good. I would really like UP. But if you're not familiar with the work of Peter alone you might find it a little hard to hear this material.

I'd say you're about to start a very interesting sonic adventure ... is one of the most interesting musical careers in contemporary music. Luck!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    AndyNicks and JeffMo like this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:cheers:

Therefore you love Us? :laugh:

11. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:agree:My cassette of this changed how I felt about music in 1980. It was a :bigeek: moment and I'm still amazed to this day.

12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Hmmm...not a fan, or do you really like the later stuff? :)

13. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Another collaboration with a band from the Real World label -

Captain Keefheart and Yost like this.
  14. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

This!

It's funny; some of my earliest musical memories are of seeing 'Sledgehammer' endlessly on MTV/VH1 when it came out. (when they were "proper" channels !) and then as I discovered prog in my late teens, and finally got into Genesis in my twenties, I came to love the Gabriel-era. Still is my favorite period. I could recall every Peter-era song/lyric/fact you name it but only now have I fully decided to really discover and learn his solo work. Discovering music that you missed out on in an earlier point in time is awesome!

danielbravo likes this.
  15. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Nice. Didn't know this song. Thanks.

16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The riches of music produced in the late '70s and early '80s in the UK is just mind-boggling at times, with a cohort of artists like Gabriel, Eno, Budd, Fripp, Bowie, Bush, Sylvian, et al. creating some of the best music ever made. I liken it to the San Francisco PERRO era of the early '70s.

Max Florian likes this.
  17. III, IV (Security), So and Us are my personal favourites. If your into more experimental things start with the first 2, if you want something more accessible start with the last 2.

18. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Certainly yes! It is very pleasant to rediscover the classics and also new music. And if it's Peter Gabriel: good choice for you. His work is fascinating. Of all the ex-Genesis, he is perhaps the most adventurous and experimental (with Steve Hackett, who is another very interesting to explore)

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

All the songs are great on the first four albums but the production doesn't do the material any favors. DYI would have been a #1 hit if anyone other than Robert Fripp had produced it.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Im curious which song and what effect? If I could only choose one album, III (Melt) might be my favorite.

21. JimC

JimC Senior Member

"Normal Life" grabbed me first, then every song.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel hasn't put out to many 5.1 but there is one that came out of nowhere and it's called Peter Gabriel Hit and it has all of his old hits and the 5.1 mix is pretty good...I'm really glad I found this because he is one of my all time favorites

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This. the first one is pretty commercial and a bit overblown, but it's very accessible. Things get less commercial and more and more "interesting" as you move up. So certainly panders for middle ground, but the majority fo the album is just as experimental and world music ish as the ones before it.

24. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Hi Andy -

Don't know if you have picked up anything else, but IMO nearly every one of PG's solo records has merit. My faves are (in rough order):

Security (perfect all around)
    Melt (although I must admit the "Plays Live" versions of Biko and No Self Control are my go-to versions)
    So (Commercial - period, sure, but so many great songs)(
    Car (I see you already have this one! It's a favorite of mine too)
    Us (Dark and beautiful - the Secret World Live versions of these are more lively and equally great)
    Passion
    Up (VERY dark but a wonderful record)
    Scratch (For "White Shadow" alone, but this is not the only highlight)
    OVO (guest artists all around, so it's hard to call it exclusively a PG album, but the tracks "Downside Up" and "The Tower That Ate People" are amazing and have been in PG's live shows for a while.

AndyNicks and dartira like this.
  25. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Anybody ever put together an odds & sods compilation for PG?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.