Help me make peace with "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Porcellino, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Just listen in wonder at the bass, the arrangement, and the engineering. Miraculous. :) Screw George, I love that track...

MielR, Mr. H, Hermes and 14 others like this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Sure you can. Create an iTunes Playlist, delete "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", insert "Hey Jude", entitle it "Abbey Road", done. It's 2018, not 1978.

3. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I could try and convince you of the goodness of Mr. Moonlight. But Maxwell has no redeeming value.

Muddy likes this.
  4. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Haven't listened to this song in awhile. Here's my review:

Headphones on. Hitting "play". Just started. Great toms by Ringo. Great bass by Paul. Piano kicks in. Fantastic harmonies. The Moog is cool. With headphones, great use of stereo separation with the drums in the right ear and piano and bass in the left ear and Paul's great vocal right in the center. Wait. Guitar solo now. Twangy, reverb, cool. Piano solo nice too, bass transition with more Moog, excellent. Rose and Valerie "Maxwell must go free..." is a nice garnish. Nice brushwork Ringo. Big rave-up at the end.

It's a solid C+ track, above average. But above average Beatles equals the best song ever created by 1000 other artists. Bang-bang, indeed.

marklamb, Royce, Hermes and 13 others like this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

McCartney's poops are more brilliant than other artists' Statements.

6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

As John once said of the song before he began publicly deriding it, the song is about karma...if that helps.

Hermes, tteal, Folknik and 1 other person like this.
  7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I love it always have. I don’t think it’s dumb at all. It’s got great tongue in cheek story-telling lyrics about a kid who goes on a murderous rampage. I think it’s The Beatles best example of story telling lyrics as it’s quite detailed and gets your imagination going. It’s got a great melody and the use of synths is just awesome. People who take it seriously are missing out. I don’t know how (not you in particular, but some people) could possibly miss that it’s just a humouress song. Obviously doesn’t mean it’s automatically good, but some people do seem to think the lyrics are serious somehow.

marklamb, guppy270, Jarleboy and 11 others like this.
  8. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Perhaps if John was singing...?

9. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'm pretty sure that the melody of the chorus was inspired by this:

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Easy, if you like it listen, if you don't, don't!

11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

If you love Cole Porter and Lorenz Hart, it is the only half-decent lyric in their catalog.

Most of the Beatles' lyrics expressed juvenile ideas in a juvenile manner.

Here was a rare Beatles song with fresh subject matter delivered in a demanding rhyme scheme.

What's not to like?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

The first pop song about a serial killer?

bonus likes this.
  13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

No, that would be "To Keep my Love Alive" by Rodgers and Hart.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It could be urban legend/myth material, but I seem to remember someone writing that it was inspired by a mathematics grad student in Texas who ball-peen hammered a professor to death who'd voted down awarding him his PhD after his oral defence. I think of that every time I hear the song.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This one doesn't bother me. It's just one of McCartney's goofs. Now the song I don't get is Octopus' Garden. It's just awful.

Ludger, fried, EricSwan and 3 others like this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Agreed for the most part, love the song.

Just as John's Sexie Sadie was a cover for Maharishi my sense is that's Paul's Maxwell Silver Hammer was symbolic of frustrations with Apple. Two cents....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  17. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

The rhymes are quite clever, aren't they?

quizzical-(pata)physical
    Edison-medicine
    school again-fool again
    Max to stay-gone away
    Valerie-gallery
    thirty one-dirty one

With the single exception of Max to stay-gone away, all the rhymes are on the third last syllable, with the last two syllables identical. In each case the rhyme occurs within a single line. In the first verse, he manages to get home-alone-phone-Joan in the midst of successive lines, although he doesn't attempt that again in the last two verses. He does however give us annoyed-avoid and behind-times (okay, not a great one) in the second verse, and alone-testimon(ial) and free-agree in the third verse. There's no doubt in my mind that he worked hard on those lyrics, whether you like them or not.

Hermes, Jarleboy, Zeroninety and 11 others like this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Don't go screaming from the gallery, now.

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I don't mind it but it's not a great song. Everything can be criticized. And not a fan of Rocky Raccoon either!

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think the song sounds fine as does the entire Abbey Road album. What I can't stand though, about Maxwell's Silver Hammer, is where McCartney does the contrived snort/laugh. Man I hate stuff like that, as well as any courtesy laugh for things that aren't actually funny. One of the most dimwitted fake behaviours anyone can do IMO.

21. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Paul also worked extra hard on the bass in order for it to sound like a tuba sliding into the notes emulating a brass instrument rather a guitar.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is electric pop vaudeville at its best.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Jarleboy, bonus, gja586 and 6 others like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Listen to it when you're drunk and sing along. You gonna love it then.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Just ignore the lyrics! They're not offensive, just silly.

Focus on the wonderful melody and bass playing. :)

John Porcellino and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's cartoon violence though - like the Stooges or Tom & Jerry. It's quite childish but that appeals to me

VQR and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think it’s a great song.

Jarleboy, VQR, tteal and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.