Help me NOT (??) mount my TV on the wall-your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I like my old DLP, but eventually it will die, sooner likelier than later.

I always assumed/dreamed I would mount the TV on the wall, but lately I'm kinda rethinking that and need your advice and stories and thoughts.

To mount the TV on the wall would need a few inconvenient things:
    - In-wall speakers (on-wall thins? Nah, I already have something like that. Not dynamic enough). In-walls eliminate an early reflection, which is good, but wallboard is a notoriously poor enclosure. It might be possible to get enclosed in-walls, but…
    - Where do the electronics go? OK, I have another room with bookshelves nearby, and in theory could move the receiver and cable box in there, all by RF remote control or something. But the wiring would be a big hassle, in particular a 10ish meter run of HDMI. And I have a gut feeling it wouldn't really work all that well.
    - I'd like to go to an 80" TV (not a projector due to huge amounts of ambient light in the room, relatively slow turn-on which bugs my wife, wiring hassles, fan noise in our ultra quiet house where I can even hear my iMac sometimes). That is a HEAVY weight to hang on the wall.

If I put the TV on a console, I could have electronics inside, maybe even massive power amps. I could have more typical and better sounding speakers flanking the TV. Maybe even a kit or my own design which is another longstanding dream since I am originally a loudspeaker engineer. And, I could not worry about the weight cantilevered on the wall.

On the other hand, I don't really want a deep console. I'm wondering if I could get a kind of bookshelf hybrid, or like a shallow console, and maybe change to like that NAD digital amp instead of a deep receiver. Or ???

Maybe a shallow short glass display case to put seashells and stuff? A giant wide and shallow subwoofer and set the TV on top? A JBL Paragon? ;)

All ideas needed!

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Get thee to IKEA!

An idea of the layout of your TV-to-be area would be useful as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.