Help Me Pick A Used Power Amp From Among These Choices

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I run a pair of old Yamaha NS-1000 speakers which are power inefficient.

I drive them with an Accuphase A-35, which is a nice sounding power amp, but everything I've read says you really should drive them (the NS-1000 s) with at least 100wpc and I do get the impression I'm not getting what I could out of them. I just think with more power I would get a lot more 'solidity' at lower volumes.

So I've been looking around locally for more power that I can afford and I've come up with these potential choices. They're all used, old, but being sold by reliable sellers with 6 month warranties.

OK, the choices...

Accuphase P-370, 75 wpc @ 8ohms

Nice, not as old as my other potential Accuphase choices, but seems it still might a bit light in the wattage department...about US$1630 at today's exchange rates.

Krell KAV-250A, 250 wpc @ 8ohms

About $1550 at today's x-change rates. Another ca. 2001 power amp, lots more power and I had an enjoyed a Krell in the past (KSA-50) so I'm somewhat pre-disposed to this one, especially because of the output, but a bit worried because I read somewhere there was a recall ... still, I'm interested in it.

Accuphase P-360, 250 wpc @ 8ohms

10 years older than the choices above, but plenty of power. About US$1350.

Accuphase P-300x, 150 wpc @ 8 Ohms.

About US$830 at today's rates. One thing I like about the Japanese amps from the 70s and through about the first half of the 80s is the switchable voltage feature -- 100v, 120v, 230v, take it anywhere. My budget would sure like this one and it would match my pre-amp...but...hmm. Even though it's old, I'm not worried about repairs with Accuphase, both in the US and Japan there are tech's that fix and rebuild the gear.

So if you were me, what would you get? A vote for your choice and quick comment as to why would be very welcome.

Cheers!

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I owned NS-1000s and went through a few power amps to get the best out of them. My final configuration was an early Kostas Metaxas 100w pure Class A solid state that I bought from a mate. It was used to run his Acoustats and could handle the very low impedance of those speakers - so the amp had plenty of current and control. The big 12" woofer in the NS-1000s needs an iron fist to make it start and stop without overhang. The Krell KAV is nothing like the KSA so I would pass on that one. I probably would pass on all the ones you listed, actually.

Where do you live?

ggergm likes this.
  3. EdogawaRampo

I live in rural Japan. What I listed is what is available to me sort of locally at prices I can handle.
    My budget will max out at around 2000US.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I would keep the A-35! :D Or maybe go up to an A-60 or A-65.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

I might end up keeping it longer, but I'm looking. Need more power.

6. EdogawaRampo

Can't get those on my budget.

7. Metralla

I see. It's going to be tough to get the right amp for those loudspeakers.

8. EdogawaRampo

Well, I'm within pretty easy driving distance into Tokyo, so it won't be that hard to get something. All the above choices are in driving distance. But I'm not getting much traction on the choices...Guess they aren't too hot.

9. Metralla

I'm sure they are fine, but not the big upgrade you are looking for. Something more specialized. Keep looking.

10. EdogawaRampo

Hmm. You're probably right. That amp you mentioned sounded very cool, but a search on where to get one resulted in nix, 'cept that the company is re-locating to Germany.

11. Metralla

Kostas Metaxas first started in Melbourne, and then moved to Germany decades ago. But he dropped his initial design paradigm which was very industrial and started to pile on the bling. His early stuff was very good, but he lost me later. I bought mine in 1982.

Your Yammies are among the best loudspeakers made by a major firm. Brilliant tweeter and midrange drivers, and a nice sealed box design. I loved mine and hated selling them.

12. EdogawaRampo

That's why I want to power them. From what I read they're power hungry, not very power efficient. I don't actually listen at loud volume very often, but I do want to sometimes and the 35wpc Accuphase I've got now starts to stretch and thin out at louder volumes.

13. Metralla

They are not markedly inefficient like Maggies or Celestion SL6; and they don't have the severe impedance dip like an Apogee. But they do blossom with the right amp. I don't think there is a formula you can use and say that such and such an amp will work for sure. The NS1000s can work with valve amps. You really need to be able to trial your prospective purchase.

14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Not sure if the pairing works perfect but my bet is a used Musical Fidelity A 5.5 should deliver all the watts your speakers need with plenty overhang. 200watts at 8 Ohm measured over the whole frequency range will drive any speaker and you should find them for under 2000 dollars .

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I would opt for the extra headroom provided by the 250wpc, but you already have a positive experience with Krell which is compelling too. Good luck on your journey and above all else, enjoy the ride!

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

See what your nearest pro audio dealer can recommend. Crown amps would be on my shortlist. Great design and ample power on tap.

motorcitydave likes this.
  17. russk

russk Forum Resident

P300x and for another 350.00 or so recap the power supply with Mundorfs. Love Accuphase gear. Great stuff.

18. motorcitydave

Ok, maybe keep the A-35 for the mids/highs, and a Bryston or Crown for the bass!

19. motorcitydave

I see. Ok, no problem.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My experience with giant Accuphase monoblocks trying to drive low impedance speakers is not good, so I would agree with Metralla and look for something different, since, while the speaker's lowest impedance appears to be 4.5 ohms (which isn't too bad):

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Yamaha-NS1000.htm

Metralla's comments suggest that a robust amp. is needed for best performance.

I have no idea about second hand prices, especially in Japan, so I'll just toss a few ideas out, and you can see which, if any, may be worth pursuing.

Since you enjoyed a Krell KSA-50 in the past, what about a KSA-100 or KSA-200? That would seem an obvious starting point.

Given your budget, I would think something like a Pass X-250 (or preferably X-350) would be out of the question, but what about an old Threshold Stasis power amp. They were designed by Nelson Pass, and were a popular choice with many studios, so you may be able to find a few in Japan.

Classe is another company which makes amplifiers that can easily drive difficult loads. The CA-200 and CA-300 are both quite old now, so may well fall into your budget. The CAM-350 monoblocks are excellent too. They were around $7k (pair) when new, but have been out of production for at least 10 years, so may also be within your grasp.

I've had good experience with Ayre, and their old V-1 power amplifier should fit your requirements nicely.

Since you are in Japan, what about the Marantz SM-5? I used to use these to bi-amp. B&W 801 Matrix S3 speakers (themselves a tough load). Very nice sound, typical of Marantz, easy to listen to for long periods.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-sm-5.html

If you go with the SM-5, be very careful with the speaker terminals!! It is really easy to strip the thread on the screw given the size of the chunky terminals. I speak from experience!! :)

I don't know their product line very well, but I did hear an $80k Luxman monoblock set a few years ago and was very impressed (I didn't know the cost when I listened). So, they may have something suitable from their older lines.

Happy hunting!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  21. Metralla

Good suggestions - you put a bit of thought into that.

22. Metralla

Doesn't work that way. The crossover just has two terminals - and they are the old spring-clip type. Remember, these are late '70s - early '80s speakers.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There's a first time for everything! :laugh:

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. motorcitydave

Oh, I see. Thank you for the info. :)

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A close friend had the NS-1000's for many years, heard them hundreds of times. The best sound they produced was when he drove them with a Levinson #334, to aplomb actually.
    I don't know if Levinson is available in Japan but the price would be in the ball park.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.