help me with my Blu-ray 5.1 issue please!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sony bdp 1100
    pioneer elite receiver
    connected with coax cable

I have had this player for right around a year with no issues. Every DVD I have put into it, the 5.1 decodes with no problem. I just started recently actually playing Blu-rays on it, all of the ones I have tried decode into 5.1 just fine.

I recently picked up Queen at the Rainbow, and Pink Floyd endless river blurays and neither will send 5.1 signal. it says it is decoding 5.1 on the tv screen, but the receiver only picks up stereo. all other discs still play fine.

is this more likely to be an issue with my player or my receiver? and why would it just be on these 2 discs either way?

thanks!!!!

2. bigmikerocks

also, my receiver will not receive audio from HDMI cables, it has to be coax.

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Check that on the Sony "BD Audio Mix" set to off.
    Possible that on the receiver you've got the audio input set to coax for Blu ray?

4. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

Does your player picks up the 5.1 PCM mix instead of the DTS mix? I could be wrong, but coax cannot transport hi res multi channel audio. The DTS MA will send the DTS core via the coax connection, and the PCM will send no sound.

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Do you get ANY audio via HDMI, or do you only use coaxial anyway?

The Endless River BD has three audio tracks, PCM Stereo, DTS-MA 5.1 and PCM 5.1. The SPDIF (coaxial) interface cannot carry PCM 5.1 or DTS-MA; these can only be carried via HDMI. Exactly what comes out of your player when these soundtracks are played will vary.

I suspect you will get stereo PCM (at a lower sampling rate and bit depth) from the coaxial socket when you select either of the PCM tracks, but "normal" DTS when you select the DTS-MA soundtrack which should give you 5.1, albeit not at full DTS-MA resolution. However, most BD players will have menu options affecting exactly what is output from the digital out.

You won't experience any of these issues playing DVDs as the sound formats on DVDs can all be output via the SPDIF interface.

Try playing Endless River with the DTS-MA soundtrack enabled and report back!

6. bigmikerocks

figured it out!

on the player there was an option for 'bd audio mix setting - set whether to mix interactive audio and output'

it was set to 'on' and I turned it off, now I get DTS!

strange that it's only on these 2 discs

thanks for the help everybody!!!

7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I'd just looked at the user manual for your player and was about to suggest that, so good that you have sorted it! You should find that when using Blu Ray, DTS-MA soundtracks output DTS and the less frequently used Dolby True HD output Dolby Digital from coaxial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.