Help Me!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chiron, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiron

Chiron Active Member Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am in need of starting to listen to the "classics" instead of today's music. Though I know I'm probably late, I am sick of the same type of artists and so-called "music" that is being produced today. I know there are better artists out there, but I don't know how to look!

Anyway, I found a few places (and this place as well) that could probably help me. I'm not sure what to get, however. I want any music from the 1950's-1980's, preferably rock/pop with a little jazz inbetween. I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows the all-time classics, but are there any good books or websites that has a "beginner's rock" guide?

Actually, as I think of it, you guys can give me the best albums...

Thanks! I'm glad to be at this forum. I also want to hear a few Steve Hoffman produced CD's to hear how good his discs sound.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Welcome to the forum! And what an opening question to ask, where do any of us begin....:rolleyes: :)

I wouldn't even know where to start, other than using the Search function here, which will reward you beyond your wildest dreams if you have the time to do the searching. As for listening to DCC Golds....can't go wrong with any of 'em, and some are still available at such sites as Best Buy, CD Connection, CD Universe, Music For A Song, dccblowout, the list goes on...

Hang around, I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses!

ED:cool:

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Aw man! You came to the right place! We could all give you endless lists of where to begin, and that won't give you a sample of what is out there! I could say to nose around this forum for a while and start buying some stuff that looks appealing to you.

Welcome, BTW, stick around and post often!

One thing you will notice about this place is that we all like the older stuff, and while many of us like some of the new music, we feel the same way as you do. The bonus is that Steve Hoffman id about the best reissue engineer/producer around. His views on mastering and sound are spot-on! He doesn't do what most of the other guys do, that is to jack up the volume of a CD until the sound breaks up. He lets the original sound of the tapes breathe. We are audiophiles. Don't let that run you off, because you will become one too, if you aren't one already. You don't have to have a high-end system, just the appreciation of good music.

Fill out your equipment profile!

Tell us, what DO you like that is current?

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What if we supply you with one album from each group? That way if you like the band, you can buy more!

Who's Next / The Who Canadian edition. Mastered by Steve Hoffman when he worked with MCA. Rock.

Deja Vu / Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Folk/Rock.

Things like that. What do you think?

5. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

If you can find Steve's remasters of Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, and the Nat King Cole albums for a reasonable cost, that would be a good start in the jazz/pop vocal area.

For rock, the three DCC albums that I cannot recommend enough would be:

Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung, and
    Paul McCartney - Band On the Run

6. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Hi Chiron!

Buddy Holly: From The Original Master Tapes
    Bill Haley: From The Original Master Tapes

Essential 50's rock 'n' roll mastered by Steve Hoffman.

7. Chiron

:bigeek:

These are some fast replies! I was only eying other threads when I came back to my thread and, as of writing, there are three replies!

Well, I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I want good sound. To tell the truth, I hate when music is purpsoley made loud. If I want to have loud music, I will use my own volume control! Steve sounds like a cool guy, however. I can't wait to buy a SH disc and hear how good it sounds. BTW, my stereo is a small little Aiwa and is probably very puny compared to you guys's $10,000 systems! But, it sounds good enough for me and it's just the music that matters, though I want good sound. As for current music, I like some music that's OK. Norah Jones is one of those artists. Some of those "alternative" songs are catchy, but I don't have my favorites. I've lately been listening to Tool, even though I think they are a bit creepy. ;)

Cool idea Gary!

The Who aren't a bad band. I've heard Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, and that "teenage wasteland" song, and I like what I've heard so far.

Haven't really heard them, but hey, it's a start!

Keep those replies coming...

BTW, what's a Nauga?

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

The Motown Hitsville Box Set is an ideal way to listen to a large number of great songs from different artists. This will cover approximately one fifth of your "Sixties Starter Kit"!
    Sergeant Pepper (Beatles) - while it may not be their best, it is a true classic and an essential part of the Sixties.

This is a big question. Welcome to the Forum Chiron!

John

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Tread carefully here Chiron. Naugas loom large in Gary's legend. :)

When you sit down too hard in your car, chances are that you'll hear a squeek. That's a Nauga.

Naugahyde.

John

10. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

If you like Norah check out:

Joni Mitchell: Blue
    Joni Mitchell: Court & Spark

As for Tool:

King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King
    King Crimson: Red
    King Crimson: Discipline

11. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I have only heard a few Norah Jones tracks... based on the general feel of what she is doing, you may want to check out Diana Krall (you have probably heard her stuff anyway), Patricia Barber, and Karryn Allison.

For something in the same area that is closer to jazz, check out Diane Schuur (Timeless, In Tribute, or the Schuur/BB King album).

Better still, get Carmen McRae - For Lady Day Vol. 1&2. That old lady could sing ;)

12. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
    Rolling Stones: Let it Bleed
    Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach
    Grateful Dead: American Beauty
    Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
    Eric Clapton: Slowhand
    Neil Young: Harvest
    Van Morrison: Moondance
    Bob Marley and the Wailers: Catch a Fire

These are just some good albums. Not intended to be the a list of the best of any particular kind. Welcome!

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hi Chiron,

This forum will help you open many musical doors; it certainly has for me.

Years and years ago before this forum existed, before the internet as we know it existed, my "key" was a book called "Rock Critics' Top 100 Albums" (or something like that) by Paul Gambaccini (I'm sure I mauled the spelling of his last name, sorry). For a "rock" list it incorporated quite a breadth of musical styles (blues, country, reggae, folk). It was a fun read and I must've bought every album listed. Just thought I'd share; I'm not necessariy endorsing this particular book nor suggesting that you go this route. Anyways, have fun!

Jim W.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You can never go wrong with Glenn Miller, especially the 1985 mastering of the "Unforgettable Glenn Miller and His Orchestra" on RCA which has 16 of his biggest hits. Although there is a 2001 remaster out there with entirely different artwork and an RE2 in the catalog number, only look for the pressing with the old RCA CD logo on the front cover. There are copies out there of the old pressing in record stores once in a while to this day and they also show up on eBay from time to time. Many of the others on this forum will give you the same recommendation when it comes to Glenn's music. This thread will give you the artwork to look for: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=181352

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm a fan of box sets or compilations. If I want a good sampling of a particular artist, I'll look for a well-thought-out compilation. In most cases, that will cure my "jones" to hear a certain artist. I'm also partial to certain record labels. I've always felt they used to have a certain sound, such as A&M, Verve or RCA in the 60's. And like we all confessed in a lengthy thread a few weeks back, I actually collect disco singles.

My favorite box set for the past couple of years is the Burt Bacharach box on Rhino. Great way to feature a songwriter, with tracks from a variety of artists.

I have way too many interests and recommendations to list all of them, but i'll point out a few recent highlights.

I'm not a huge country fan, but I got hep to a li'l ol' band that used to have a residence at Robert's in the Lower Broadway district: BR5-49. They're distanced from what could be called "pop/country" or "young country"--they are more like a traditional country band, but with a modern sensibility. My favorite is Big Backyard Beat Show.

Some here aren't fond of this Gordon Lightfoot compilation, but for me it captures all of the highlights: "The Complete Greatest Hits". Folk/rock, from Canada.

One jazz CD that Steve remastered was Vince Guaraldi's "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus", on the DCC label.

Joe Jackson: get his first CD "Look Sharp!", which is an excellent post-punk album. Short, snappy songs with a lot of hooks and some clever (sometimes biting) lyrics.

The Police: I'd recommend anything of theirs. A hits package will give you an introduction, but if you stick to "Ghost In The Machine" or "Synchronicity", there is a common theme or concept on each album. After Sting went solo, he had one or two good CDs but went downhill IMHO. "Dream Of The Blue Turtles" was always a favorite of mine.

Diana Krall: I'm fond of "The Look Of Love", not just for Diana's husky voice and piano talents, the arrangements by Claus Ogerman are wonderful.

A jazz/Bossa Nova masterpiece: find "Getz/Gilberto" in the jazz section. Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim all appear on this one, along with Astrud Gilberto's vocal debut.

I'm a sucker for a good beat and pop hooks--there's a recent Hall & Oates compilation that I've been playing a lot even though I have most of their later albums already. I just got an older CD, "Along The Red Ledge", that I've been acclimating to.

Get some Steely Dan while you're at it. "Aja" would probably one of the high water marks. Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" is another good bet.

British prog-rock may or may not be your "thing", but look into the Genesis angle. Older Genesis is an acquired taste, but worth it. I'd pick "Trick Of The Tail", "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", "Duke" and "Abacab" as my favorites. Peter Gabriel left Genesis in the mid 70's to embark on a successful solo career. His first four albums are all officially titled "Peter Gabriel", and fans either call them out by number of release, or by the picture on the front. My favorites are #3 (aka "Melt"), #1 (aka "Car") and #4 (aka "Mask", or the ill-conceived "Security" name given to it by Geffen for US release).

Happy listening!

16. Chiron

Here's my list so far:

The Who-Who's Next (Canadian SH version)
    Crosby Stills Nash & Young-Deja Vu
    Deep Purple-Made In Japan (DCC)
    Jethro Tull-Aqualung (DCC)
    Paul McCartney-McCartney (DCC)
    Buddy Holly-From The Original Master Tapes
    Bill Haley-From The Original Master Tapes
    Ella Fitzgerald-Sings
    Cole Porter-The Cole Porter Songbook
    (which Nat King Cole albums to get that were mastered by SH?)
    The Beatles-Seargent Pepper
    Joni Mitchell-Blue
    King Crimson-In The Court of The Crimson King
    Carmen Macrae-For Lady Day Vol 1 & 2
    Pink Floyd-Dark Side of The Moon
    Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed
    Allman Brothers Band-Eat a Peach
    Grateful Dead-American Beauty
    Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
    Eric Clapton-Slowhand
    Neil Young-Harvest
    Van Morrison-Moondance
    Bob Marley and the Wailers-Catch a Fire
    Glenn Miller-Unforgettable Glenn Miller (1985)
    Burt Bacharach-Boxed set
    Joe Jackson-Look Sharp
    The Police-Every Breath You Take-The Singles (or what?)
    Diana Krall-The Look of Love
    Getz/Gilberto
    Steely Dan-Aja
    Genesis-wern't they that Phil Collins band?
    Peter Gabriel-Peter Gabriel 1-4

Unfortuatly, a lot of the bands or artists listed are ones that I've never heard music from, so it's a little hard. I don't know how I am going to buy all of those albums soon enough.:)

However, I will go to Best Buy and see if I can't pick out a few titles.

Give me more! It's just Not enough. ;)

17. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Great list! I get goosebumps just looking at it. :thumbsup:

18. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

For Paul McCartney, Band On the Run might be a better place to start than his first album (McCartney), though both were remastered by Steve, and sound great on DCC CDs. McCartney is a nice album, but it may sound a little homemade (that is almost how it was made, actually;)).

Nat King Cole - The Very Thought of You would be my first choice, followed by Love Is the Thing and the Greatest Hits compilation.

Genesis were the Phil Collins band, but IMHO they were better when old Phil stuck to his drumming. Peter Gabriel was the frontman at that time.

The Police - The Singles comp is a good start... some of the album stuff is rather weird.

As for King Crimson - In the Court, you may want to get the most recent reissue that was supervised by Fripp himself. It is a Virgin Records reissue in a mini-LP sleeve, and it sounds much better than what was released by EG (the Definitive Edition) around 1989 (?)

19. Chiron

OK, in compiling my list, I am trying to find out which versions (of the albums listed) are good and which versions to avoid. By versions, I mean remasters and the such...

Some albums listed that seem to have new versions either out or coming out:

Pink Floyd-Dark Side of The Moon
    Peter Gabriel-1-4
    The Police-Every Breath You Take: The Classics

Now, all of these titles are being issued on SACD. I don't know if I should get SACD or not, but I'd rather just stick to redbook, in my opinion. (See, I'm already learning the audiophile linguo :))

DCC Titles:
    Deep Purple-Made In Japan
    Jethro Tull-Aqualung
    Paul McCartney-McCartney

These appear to be out of print! Where can I find these for cheap prices? Also, it appears that most anything SH does is OOP! So are the Buddy Holly and Bill Haley comps OOP also? :(

Since this thread seems to be dying, it looks like the remaining albums to buy, I will buy albums from other artists I keep on hearing. However, looking at an old therad (Which CD's Should I Buy, I think it was the title), someone had posted a good website which I went to. I happened to find this:

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/z100.htm

Basically a "rock guide"! I know it's just one reviewers opinion, but it sounds somewhat intresting. Is it right? Or should I just trust the fine fellows here at the SH forums? ;)

20. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Those Buddy Holly and Bill Haley discs are canadian imports. Available through www.hmv.com www.absound.com and propably www.amazon.ca. Cheap aswell. Get Steve's Who's Next there too. It's the cheapest one, without the bonus tracks.

21. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Yes, Collins was the Genesis drummer, who took over vocals when Peter Gabriel left. A good Collins album is Face Value...his 'divorce' album, and probably one of his best. He also recorded with a jazz/rock band called Brand X. Despite what anyone says, Collins was, and always has been, a first rate professional drummer. And I happen to like most of his earlier albums.

I'm still not a fan of Police hits collections (I don't feel they are a "hits" band), but that's just me. A better feel for the Police, IMHO, would be through the albums I mentioned...or see if you can find Message In A Box which contains all five albums, plus some b-sides and live tracks.

Into funk/jazz/R&B at all? I neglected to mention one of my favorite Earth Wind & Fire recordings: All 'n' All. Or, here's a case where a shorter compilation (their first one, released in the late 70's) is actually a great album, Best of EW&F Vol. 1. (Red cover with a big gold medallion on the front.) A great hits collection, two non-LP tracks, well sequenced.

Sax & Violins, anyone? ;-) If you want something a little different, try one of Jean-Luc Ponty's CDs. He has a 2-CD compilation called Le Voyage that collects his earlier Atlantic tracks. A single CD "Best of" came out on Sony (COlumbia/Epic/whatever). A good album, i feel, is Cosmic Messenger from 1977. Some good jazz/fusion there!

I'll quit before I bankrupt you completely! :D

22. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

While it fresh on my mind from another post...LONDON CALLING...the Clash is a great album and digs deep into the American RnR roots & jazz to come up with a unique "punk"/rock and roll treat.

One of the definitive titles of it's decade!

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I quikly looked at everyone else's posts so if I repeat anything forgive me:
    Aerosmith- Toys In the Attic, Rocks
    AC/DC- Back In Black, Highway To Hell
    Rolling Stones- 40 Licks
    Van Morrison- Tupelo Honey
    Peter Gabriel- So
    U2- Joshua Tree
    Bad Company- Bad Company
    Led Zeppelin- 1-4, House Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti
    Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
    Kiss- Alive!
    Deep Purple- Machine head
    Eagles- Hotel California
    Prince- Purple Rain
    Frank Sinatra- The Very Good years or the Capital Collector Series

Also, you can check out vh1.com. They have the 100 Greatest albums list and a lot of these are on there.

24. BradOlson

Hank Williams-40 Greatest Hits is essential.

25. BradOlson

IMO, for Gordon Lightfoot, you are better off with all of the studio albums, the live "Sunday Concert," and the first Gord's Gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.