Help! MJQ recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnS, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member Thread Starter

Help! Its' my father's birthday in a few weeks and I never know what to buy him; I managed to prise out a request for 'some MJQ on CD' Any suggestions? I know nothing about the MJQ, and I can't recall us ever having any of their LPs in the house, but I think he was a fan in the late 50s/early 60s and wants to revisit their stuff from round about then. So any classic albums or compilations to go for? Or to avoid, for that matter?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Django comes to mind. Lonely Woman and Modern Jazz Quartet. All should be on Riverside/Fantasy. On CD, they should be found fairly inexpensively, even in the UK.

Django is brilliant...

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Pyramid is excellent.

4. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I'd start with Concorde
    No Sun in Venice and Fontessa are also superb.
    Aaron

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

6. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member Thread Starter

Many thanks one & all for your responses - all very informative; I can now browse round my HMV megastore Jazz dept in confidence! If I can find it the 4-CD set looks like it might be the one to go for - I think it covers everyone's recommendations, should correspond to what my father's familiar with AND 4 CDs should keep him going til Christmas!!:thumbsup:

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I only have one LP by them, but I really really like it. I believe it's called Collaboration on CD, it's the MJQ and Brazilian guitarist Laurindo Almeida.

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I really enjoy Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn, Vol. 2 (Atlantic). The live set features Sonny Rollins and sonically it's a masterpiece. Especially if you can luck out and get him a MFSL copy.

9. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I really like Blues At Carnegie Hall (atlantic sd-1468) it's well recorded and very accessable. They also released 2 albums on the Beatles Apple label, Space and Under The Jasmine Tree. However I think those are only ok...perhaps there's a 'best of' comp?

10. butch

butch Senior Member

Magic Alex you hit the nail on the head!!!That MoFi reissue is PHAT!!The original Atlantic boxed set sounds pretty decent as well.It sounds as if a "tubed" tape machine was used in the transfer process.This makes the Cds sound far more bearable.Place Vendome is yet another high point with swingle singers,man that music is sweet!!!

11. Matt

Matt New Member

"Dedicated To Connie" is a popular favorite. Two disc live album released shortly after Connie Kay's passing, it's great. "Django"'s also good.

Both of these are pretty popular MJQ picks, so make sure he doesn't have them.

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

"Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn, Vol. 2" has phenomenal sound on the MFSL, but the remastered Atlantic Original Sound CD does sound very good too. The addition of Sonny Rollins makes this a very special MJQ record.

I prefer their stuff from the 60's and later, it is bluesier and more relaxed than their music from the 50's Prestige period. They found their style then.

13. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I'll second the Complete Last Concert - one of my all-time favorites. But there are lots of other good suggestions here as well. European Concert is another great one if that's still in print.

- Joe

14. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

And then there is the Atlantic 4 CD set MJQ40 782330 2. It sounds superb - I'm listening to Walkin' Stomp as I type. Plenty of 1956 stereo on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.