HELP NEEDED: Luxman CD player skipping - drawer issue as well

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joseph.McClure, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Luxman DZ-122 CD player that is...old. I don't care that it's old - it sounds good and want to keep it.

When I press the 'open' button to open the drawer it opens fully and then immediately closes. Additionally, it often skips at the beginning of the first track but seems to then play the rest of the CD just fine.

Do I need to open the case up and check on the belt? Could a belt replacement fix the issue?

2. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Nice machine. I found a few CD/DVD belt "repair" videos on YouTube. Maybe search a couple of 'em out and see if they offer a relatively simple and easy fix for you.

3. Joseph.McClure

thanks - I'll check out some of the videos. I'll open it up and if I can't get it back together I guess it goes in the garbage

4. Joseph.McClure

bump. anyone?

5. If you're reasonably comfortable with it and it doesn't concern you (warranty, electrocution :D), pop the cover off and take a look around. Compressed air. Toothbrush. Vacuum (CAREFULLY!). See if you can clean up the track for the drawer as well general dust. Might help. Might not.

6. Joseph.McClure

I opened it up and found the belt - the belt seems to be ok. It feels pretty tight. Will try compressed air and a good vacuuming. The drawer won't act up now that I have the guts exposed.

7. Clearance issue? Is there something rubbing against the drawer from the piece(s) removed?

8. Joseph.McClure

Not sure...I put everything back together and it is acting fine.... the problem was fairly intermittent to begin with so we'll see how it goes.

9. Joseph.McClure

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Good for you. My 85-year-old dad has a Phillips cd recorder that was stopped recording. With nothing to lose, he opened it up, cleaned a little inside and put it back together. Been working fine ever since.

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

When the tray of a CD player closes right away it's because something is rubbing or binding.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  12. Joseph.McClure

meh. Starting acting up again (skipping). Looks like I'm in the market for a $400 - $500 CD player.

13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

well, there can be a little switch thing that lets the player know when the drawer is fully opened. If it does not work, it closes again. I had a meridian like there where I had to replace a little spring in the switch to make it work correctly again.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

that said, it might not be worth the time/effort on this particular player though, ymmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.