Help. Stlyus loops and repeats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Firehead, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently got a vintage sansui fr 3060. Its all fucntional but im having trouble with the setup.
    It came with at cn-5625al. I balanced the arm then added the tracking force, applied the antiskate. It plays a bit then it gets stuck and loops. Sometimes it starts to repeat but then the cartriges moves on. What can it be? Its starting to drive me insane. Is it the cart? I know its pretty cheap and did not intend to keep it. Any suggestions would really help. Thanks. I can post pictures if neded.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Are you confident you have the tracking force set accurately? I'd try about 2.5 grams.

3. Firehead

I tried 1.8gm like my grado on my uturn but it didn't work. I then tired 2.3grams and it still didn't work. I didn't go any more weight in fear of damaging my records. You think 2.5 is not too much?

4. Bob_in_OKC

These cartridges are intended for up to 3 grams, so it won't do any harm - especially for only a short time while you're sorting out the problem. The first thing I'd do is make sure the turntable is totally level and that the tonearm floats smoothly across the record while the tracking force and anti-skating are set to zero. If that looks good, I'd set the tracking force to 2.5 grams. And then if that works I'd apply anti-skating.

What you really want to avoid is too little force, not too much. You wouldn't want all this mistracking to damage your records.

McLover and Linto like this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Are you sure the stylus is good?

6. Firehead

Thank you for the advice.
    Yes the cartridge and stylus are new

7. Firehead

2.5 grams didn't work the same thing happened. I'm going to try 2.7 when I get home.

8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Maybe the cue lift bar isn't going all the way down?

9. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

It sounds to me like something is going on with the auto function of the tonearm.

Firehead and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  10. Bob_in_OKC

I would also suggest trying it with the anti-skating weight removed from its metal hook.

Firehead likes this.
  11. Firehead

What about the lateral weight left o the tonearm? I have it on the marked indication of 2grms per the manual. What does this do in relation to anti-skate? if any. The manual inst very descriptive.

12. Bob_in_OKC

A lateral weight balances the tonearm but doesn't pull on it. The bias weight is pulling the tonearm away from the center.

Firehead likes this.
  13. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Could it be that the cables are too tight and the arm cannot move further ?

Firehead likes this.
  14. Firehead

I witnessed it going all the way down. The tonearm is free and not touching the lift when the record is playing.

What should I look out for? So far the auto function has been working for both speeds, the drop and return work flawlessly.

I removed the metal base and inspected the wires and they did have wiggle.

15. Firehead

I will try this also when I get home

16. Firehead

This is my situation. It's driving me crazy

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Is the lift mechanism touching the tonearm while it's playing?

18. Firehead

[​IMG]
    Arm does not touch lifter. It's completely clear of it.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Bob_in_OKC

It seems unusual that there's no tension in the bias weight string. Is that intentional while testing this situation? Aside from that, though - If the tonearm floats smoothly across the record when the tracking force is zero and the bias weight is not engaged, it seems like this would potentially be too little tracking force. Have you been measuring it with a scale, or with the counterweight?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Firehead

Digital scale. I'm currently at 2.75 grams.
    I did take note of lack of tension on the string. Is the weight not heavy enough and not doing what it should?

how do I test the arm the arm moving freely at zero tracking? I don't have a blank record.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Are you raising the arm when taking this pic or is this the angle the arm is when resting on a record?

If the latter, you NEED to raise the back of the arm drastically!

jea48 and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  22. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Picture is dark. I assume the back of the cartridge is not contacting the record.

Try backing off the anti-skate. In fact try it with out any anti-skate.

Does it skip and repeat no matter where you set the arm down on the record?

When you had the bottom cover off the TT base did you see the mechanism for the auto function that controls the arm auto function? The problem may be there.

Sansui FR-3060 Manual - Twp Speed Belt-Drive Automatic Turntable - Vinyl Engine

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  23. Bob_in_OKC

To use the bias weight as designed, rotate the metal loop away from the tonearm so the loop lifts the bias weight off the plinth. The weight will then pull on the tonearm behind the pivot to provide anti-skating. With the weight sitting on the plinth you have zero anti-skating.

When I say moving freely at zero tracking force, I mean hovering above the record. If you have it hovering at zero downforce, it should swing very smoothly horizontally.

24. Firehead

I was using a cork mat on top of the supplied rubber mat. This tt does not have the option to adjust tone arm height.

25. Firehead

Sorry about my lighting. The cartridge is not touching the record as it plays.
    It still skips/loops with and without the anti skating.
    What should I look for that might be causing the problem? Everything looked fine, the tone arm wires had some wiggle to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.