Help. Stlyus loops and repeats

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Firehead, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident Thread Starter

The weight is not touching the body as it is now. It weighs about 2.11 grams.

The arm did float prior to adding the tracking force but I wouldn't say it glides over. It just floats.

2. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Try it without the cork mat and without the anti-skating weight.

jea48 likes this.
  3. Firehead

It's the same result. What if I try without the lateral weight?

4. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Maybe try this.

First remove the cork mat.

Disable the anti-skate.

Put an old record on the platter that you don't like.

If the cartridge has a stylus protective cover install that before balancing the arm.
    Balance the arm so the stylus slightly floats above the record.

With the TT set to manual unplugged the TT from the wall, gently move the floating arm across the record grove play area. Does it move freely? Do you feel any resistance in movement of the arm?

Something else that has not been mentioned in the thread thus far is the bearing that allows the arm to move freely across the record.

Sansui FR-3060 Manual - Twp Speed Belt-Drive Automatic Turntable - Vinyl Engine
    If you are not a member of the Vinyl Engine it only takes a moment to join.
    You will then have access to the owner and service manual for the TT.

Firehead and bluemooze like this.
  5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Sounds like either a bearing issue or the wires inside the tonearm/bearing are binding at that point in the tonearm's travel across the LP.

John K.

Firehead and McLover like this.
  6. Firehead

I am Vinyl Engine member. I downloaded and used the manual to setup the TT.

I purchased this TT fully serviced. Is it possible the bearing or anything else got damaged in transit?

It skips/loops regardless if the anti skate is on. I noticed it skips in the same places on the record.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Fully serviced can mean different things to different people. It's possible the seller never checked the tonearm bearings before shipping the TT out to you.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Is this just one record or multiple records?

9. Firehead

Multiple records. The seller kept telling me to set the tracking at 2.3 grams. But he never confirmed if he in fact played records with the table. he did say it worked and was ready for play.
    Maybe I was tricked.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Firehead, double check that the turntable is level and that the stylus is clean. This looks like a spring-suspension table? If so, ideally those springs should've been replaced and adjusted by the seller. If you can't get it to work soon just send it back and get a refund.

11. Firehead

Yes I've made sure the TT is level with the bubble device and the cart is new. I checked the stylus with the magnifier and it looked good. The table is suspension. The springs look good. Upon receiving the TT I had to loosen a nut and a screw to have the table float on the springs. However, the right side is slightly raised than the left. But it reads its levered on the bubble. I probably should give up and try to get my money back.

12. Firehead

I kinda scratched the headshell when i loosened the nuts when I realigned the cart. But it wasn't perfect it came with a few already.

13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

does the arm move freely both up a nd down and side to side across the whole record?

14. Firehead

@sublemon I tried out a Rega at local Bestbuy. What I can say is my arm does not float and move like the Rega. I understand its a different material. But my arm doesn't really float across. It moves up and down.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  15. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

**** Did you remove ALL 5 of the red headed shipping screws?

As for the vertical bearing that holds the arm there is a screw slot on top of the arm bearing. You could try to loosen it ever so slightly. Doesn't take much.

As for the auto lift and return mechanism from what I read in the manual nothing in the auto system impedes the free movement of the arm

Firehead likes this.
  16. Firehead

@jea48 . Yes I don't believe its any of the automatic features that are causing issues. My TT did not come with the red shipping screws. Instead It was being held down with the spring on the right and a screw in the middle. I had to release the nut from the base and unscrew a screw under the platter and slide it inward. This allowed the metal base to float on the springs. I think its strange there is no mention of this in the manual. When I get home I will attempt to loosen up the bearing. Thank you

17. Firehead

[​IMG]
    My gf noticed the cart is not flush but raised on the right. I'm not sure if it's the cart or head shell. Probably the headshell since I installed a nagaoka cart today and had the same issues.
    Could this be the cause?

18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It doesn't appear to be the cartridge and probably not even the headshell. The source of the angle could be in the tonearm tube or back at the pivot. This is likely to be the cause of your playback problems.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. Firehead

@Bob_in_OKC the seller insists I have the tt setup wrong. Like I said before the arm doesn't really glide. I think I'm going to ask for refund.

20. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

WOW!

So it appears the cartridge body may be contacting the record. And at the angle of the stylus it would be very hard for it to stay in the grove of the record.

*** First don't touch or mess with the arm bearings.

How long have you had the TT?
    You stated the seller did not support the suspension system by installing the screws or any screws in the five locations shown in the owner manual.

How well was the TT packaged for shipping?
    How was the arm protected so it would not be damaged?
    Where, how, was the platter stored, secured, in the box?

Looking at your picture my guess is the arm tube is bent.

1) If you grasp the tone arm and gently try twisting clockwise and counter clockwise how much movement is there, if any? None? Some?

2) Next see if you can move the arm at its' pivot point by pulling gently on the arm forward and then backwards. No movement? Some movement?

3) Next with the arm resting on the "Tone Arm Rest" sight the arm looking at it as if you were looking at its' position parallel to the platter. Does the arm look like it bends down, twisted down, from the point where the arm is setting, resting, on the "Tone Arm Rest" to the head shell?

If yes to #3 contact the seller that sold you the TT, ASP.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    patient_ot likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Smartest thing you can do. Get a turntable with adjustable parameters. You'll be glad you did.

22. Firehead

I scratched the headshell a little when remounting a cart. You think this will be a problem?

23. Firehead

I've had the TT since 8/16.

The TT seemed to be packaged okay. It was wrapped in plastic wrap to keep it in place. The arm and weight were taped down. The platter was shipped on the TT but with the belt off. The seller packaged the anti skate weight in a separate box with the headshell with cart in a large medicine container. The overall TT was wrapped in plastic and had various papers with cardboard. The box looked pretty beat up when I got it though.

I've tried to twist the arm and there was no movement. I don't believe there was movement moving forward and backwards either. Ill check the third one when I get home.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Mention it to the seller. Maybe he doesn't care.

A few months ago, I bought vinyl singles set. They were mostly off-centre and I did pay quite a bit for them. One had a smaller spindle hole than others and I accidentally scratched the disc with my nail. I tested it and it was merely a superficial scratch as nothing was picked up by my stylus. I nevertheless made it a point to mention it to the seller prior to requesting a refund as I believe in being honest. He responded that it was fine and a full refund would be issued. I'm sure he appreciated me being candid.

Having said that, if I'm the seller and I see the extent you played with the turntable, I'd be hesitant to give you a full refund. What you should've done (IMHO) is bring it to a tech. You've mentioned a couple of parts which now have additional scratches. Respectfully, it doesn't sound like you're as careful as you should be while making these adjustments. I'd refer to it as damaged goods, at this point. But as I mentioned, every seller is different.

25. Firehead

I agree I should of been more careful. I guess frustration got the best of me. However, the headshell didn't come scratch free, it had a few scruffs. I'll mention it to the seller.
    I haven't really messed with it I just tried to set it up per the manual. I didn't do anything usual to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.