Help! Turntable with no anti skate

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Imogen, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imogen

Imogen Member Thread Starter

I was recently bought as a gift a lovely looking turntable which played perfectly for about two weeks however, all of a sudden the tone arm has begun to skate into the centre of the record as soon as I place it on. I assume this record player was perhaps a little cheap as it doesn’t have an anti skate mechanism or anything else that could balance the tone arm. I was just wondering if there is any form of device or something I could buy that would help weigh the tone arm down in order for it to play vinyl in a none damaging way without buying a new turntable.

Thanks,

Imogen

2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

What is the brand name/model number of this turntable? Does it have any sort of balancing mechanism on the tonearm i.e. a rotable weight on the back of it? Can you post pictures of it?

3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’ve seen this happen when the tip of the stylus has come off.

4. Imogen

Imogen Member Thread Starter

It’s a black and red turntable from Sainsbury’s. I’m sadly away from where the turntable is at the moment so can’t manage to post any pictures of it but I’m not sure if it has any balancing mechanism.

Thanks

Imogen

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Is this it? If so, I think you're out of luck. Return it for an exchange, if you want to keep it.
    [​IMG]

Robert C, nosliw and The FRiNgE like this.
  6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Appears to me the news is bad! The turntable you have (as per description) will damage your records even when operating correctly. My advice, get rid of it, store credit or refund. You need a better quality turntable to enjoy your vinyl. There is a minimum acceptable investment into a turntable, which is at about $300.00 to $500.00, or $150.00 for a used Technics direct drive less cartridge. (maybe a Technics SL-D202)

beat_truck, Robert C and nosliw like this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Check out the U-Turn turntables at your local Barnes and Noble. They are a better investment than the one @vinylontubes has pictured and cheaper than $300...but if you can swing $300-$500, @The FRiNgE speaks truth.

Archtop, The FRiNgE and patient_ot like this.
  8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If it's indeed one of those suitcase/very low-end players pointed out by @The FRiNgE that you bought from Sainsbury, then there is nothing you can do about it. There is no anti-skating mechanism nor a proper counterweight adjustment on that player and will deal a whole lot more groove damage than a proper turntable by several orders of magnitude. I would suggest getting a much better turntable elsewhere, something like say a Pro-Ject Essential II/III turntable if you have the money.

Alternatively, you might be able to search for a used but better turntable through your local GumTree website. Note that you will need speakers/headphones, along with a receiver/amplifier with phono inputs. What's your maximum budget that you're willing to spend?

The FRiNgE and patient_ot like this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

We really need to see a good photo of your player. Or a link to a web page with a photo of your model.

If it is similar to the one pictured above, from the problem you described, I think the stylus (needle) is broken. If so, you can replace it and that is not too hard.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The fact that it was bought in Sainsbury’s will tell you all you need to know. Unfortunately, Sainsbury’s is the last place anyone should go to buy a new turntable.

You can get a far better used one on eBay.

Robert C and The FRiNgE like this.
  11. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

From what I've read here so far, you should feel fortunate that this device is packing it in. It was likely damaging your records, in addition to simply not working.

There's far, far better available out there for you and your vinyl. Yes, a good system will cost more, but it will be worth it.

12. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Sometimes this can be caused by a simple case of dust on the stylus. I would rule that out first.

If not that then there could be damage to the stylus as others above have mentioned.

Is the stylus (needle) replaceable?

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm thinking of all the poor souls that were bought a Crosley type supermarket TT for Xmas. Tons of £20 a shot vinyl being destroyed by the day. Imogen, junk it but maybe leave it as an ornament so as not to offend the person who bought it as a gift! Now if you are really interested in vinyl pay Richer Sounds a visit and look at something that costs over £250 as a starter deck. You will also have to invest in an amp and speakers which will bring minimum spend to at least £500. That is the cheapest 'real' vinyl playback I can think off.

Robert C likes this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I really like my U-Turn Audio table but unfortunately, there are no Barnes and Noble stores in Scotland to my knowledge.

15. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

check craigslist for used turntables in mint condition. I don't know how the used market is in Scotland but if you are in/near a major city you should be fine.

beat_truck likes this.
  16. Classicrock

UTurn is not available in Uk as far as I know.

Archtop likes this.
  17. Classicrock

I think it is daft recommending used TTs to a relative novice. Frankly they are a minefield unless you know what to look for in assessing condition.

Robert C likes this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

If it can be demonstrated to play a record without the needle ripping across the disk, it's better than a new one, apparently.

Reminder, when I import Chinese trash to sell, do it during the holidays so people aren't given receipts...

beat_truck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.