Help with choosing new analogue front-end!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Babur72, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Babur72

Babur72 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Auditioned a couple high-end Vinyl replay systems fairly recently & trying to set-up more demo's for the coming months, once i return from overseas.

Struggling to find many turntables which preferably would allow the fitting of multiple(min. 2) 10" or 12" arms & support 78 reply too.

Only the ClearAudio Innovation/Master Innovation i know of would allow for both. I don't yet know how good their performance with 78 replay is, or whether this function has been added as little more than an afterthought.

Older ClearAudio turntables i've heard at shows in the past i felt leant a little toward the dry & lean sounding. Appreciate feedback from owners of the Innovations/Master Innovations or those or who've heard them.

I'm told certain higher-end Origin Live decks can be fitted with a dual arm-board on order. Had a good session listening to the Calypso & Illustrious combo. And came away suitably impressed. Enough to get my juices flowing with the prospect of hearing their forthcoming Voyager turntable.

Heard the sublime Spiral Groove SG-1.1 with the Centroid & Graham Phantom II Supreme arms(both definite contenders for my eventual arm). But the SG-2 - which i'd been considering as it's at a more realistic price point - i now understand is soon to be replaced.

I'd welcome any recommendations of other turntables/tonearms i should definitely be short-listing to hear, aside from those mentioned above?

Look forward to your suggestions.

Regards & thanks.

Babur.

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Custom plinths built around restored Garrard or Lenco decks can be built to just about any specification, inlcuding 12" arms, multiple arms and the tables were built with 78 RPM capability. There is some really cool stuff out there that is not hugely expensive by the standards on this site:) Alternatively you could run two tables, one with your 12" arm for standard LP's and a second restored Dual for your 78 needs.

Babur72 likes this.
  3. Babur72

Hi Ken,

Yeah. Beginning to think i may be compelled to procure a table solely for 78 replay.

Don't know of the availability of restored Garrard or Lenco decks here in the UK. I'll definitely check those custom plinth/arm-board makers out though. Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Babur.

4. Babur72

Welcome anybody weighing-in with their own experiences of the ClearAudio Innovation/Master Innovations.

How do they sound compared to the older Master Solution/Master Reference turntables?

Have any Innovation/Master Innovation owners mounted Graham Phantom II Supreme/Phantom III, Origin Live Conqueror/Enterprise or Spiral Groove Centroid arm on them?

Regards.

Babur.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

If you heard the ClearAudio tables with their moving coil cartridges on the arm, consider the cartridge as a major source of the leanness of the system. I have heard their tables with other cartridges on their various arms, and the table/arm sounds quite good. I have a local dealer that likes "old school" sound and buys and reconditions Garrard and Thorens tables. The modern tables that he carries are Audionote and ClearAudio (he sells their MM cartridges, but, also hates their MC cartridges and does not carry any). He also once had in a Spiral Groove with the Centroid arm and that is a terrific sounding combination.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Indeed, just buy the Rega 78 table and a mono cartridge for that. It'll not get nearly as much use. You might also try and get past the notion that many seem to have that Rega only makes mid-fi gear and have a listen to their top tables and phono preamp if you get a chance. The RP8 and RP10 are excellent and will support very, very fine cartridges. The arm on the RP10 is wonderful, even for those who feel the need for bling and who thus are attracted to big, heavy, acrylic and polished stainless monstrosities of turntables.
    -Bill

Linto likes this.
  7. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

8. Babur72

Nice one. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.