Help with coupling/isolating advice for new turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

These Rega decks are tuned, right? That's the design—doesn't damp or drain, but does some magic with the various vibrations to make things lively? I've never really understood, but seems like putting one on a deck of any sort would change whatever it was doing. I suppose IDK how you would even design like this because you would have no idea what the table was sitting on.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

They are lively and ringy in my experience, but I'm not sure they're deliberately tuned, but either way I think that's separate from isolating them from outside acoustic breakthrough.

3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Well, looking it up, these charts may be of use...

Damping factor values : damping factor values

chervokas likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tried out a few decks before buying (this is an upgrade on a Project Debut Carbon that was a nightmare) and I'm not experiencing anything like that, I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting out of it.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not sure that test -- striking a 3" by 3' strip of material and seeing how long and at what frequency it rings -- which if I'm reading that post correctly, and I just skimmed it, is what the poster did -- is a perfect measure of how this materials would work in different contexts, like, some of those materials possibly, if you put the under pressure, would behave differently, like I supposed it would be possible to compress the foam expansion material for glass blocks, that was tested, to the point where it's no longer so effect at deadening transmissions. Also that test seems to be looking at how long the material rings at it's own resonant frequency, but that frequency might not be the frequency you're trying to isolation -- like if you're trying to isolate from footfall vibrations (and that doesn't appear to be the OP's problem), it really doesn't matter how well the material works at 800 Hz, more like a 6 or 6 Hz. Still, quite interesting. Steve Herblin and Herbie's Audio Lab uses a lot of open-cell silicone foam in his turntable mats and I think in his component footers too, which aren't in those tests, but I've found his stuff to work well. Haven't used his footers though, but have used his turntable mats and tube dampers etc.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Mmmm I had a similar problem modern house flimsy internal walls, tried the ikea lack.... Sounded terrible now use a mana sound frame on a heavy rack, no issues unless I pogo or my two year old gets to close, sounds great now.
    Good luck something will work for sure.

Porkpie likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm also looking for adjustable feet for the unit itself which need to support heavy weight (deck, amp, CD, some albums), does anyone know any decent ones, preferably "coupling", that they'd recommend?

8. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Isolation is key. I can vouch for inner tube method

9. Oak coned feet

4xoddic likes this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I used the inner tube method with great results at my last house, but in my new listening area I just noticed that I get vibrarions from footfalls if I'm near the the turntable. I might go with a wall mount if i can't fix the issue with a cutting board or something. My turntable is a Rena P5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.