Help With Excessive Static on Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GentleSenator, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

Hi All-

I'm running a brand new Denon DP-300F turntable with a Denon DL-110 cartridge, and stock mat, platter, etc. With most LPs now I'm getting a ton of static/cling when a side is finished and I try to take the vinyl off the turntable.

The impact of the static on the playback appears minimal, but there is definitely more pops/clicks than should be.

Can anyone provide any ideas as to what might cause this, and some simple solutions?

Thanks!

2. tinchman

tinchman New Member

I am pretty new to vinyl but I will try and help. Do you have a felt mat? I had a lot of static/cling until I bought a rubber one and my new tt has a rubber one also. If you have carpet in the room, try using a spray can of Static Guard. It should be in the laundry detergent area of the store. These helped me out. Good luck. By the way, I just sprayed some on the floor around the tt stand or whatever you have.

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Unfortunately, static charge is built up by friction:

1) between stylus and record
    2) between air and record surface.

Do you clean your disc on the platter before you play? that adds to the friction.

Changing or cleaning (wash in detergent and dry) the mat can help (it increases it's conductivity). Waiting for there to be more humidity will make a big difference too. Cold and dry is not good for this sort of thing.

Wet cleaning the discs often helps too, but that opens another ball game of fun, opinion and expense.

4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

It's kind of seasonal here. I live down the Valley here in Oregon and this time of year it just is...

5. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I had a Pro-ject Debut 3 with felt mat and found similar phenomenon... currently I am using an old Scott with a rubber mat and I clean record with VPI - those too factors make a hige difference... I am no expert to say the least but a rubber mat (or something other than felt) may help IMHO... others could probably weigh in with more expertise...

6. GentleSenator

Thanks for the replies! I can definitely try a couple of those things.

The turntable does have a thick rubber mat, and I'm not cleaning the records while on the unit.

I don't think this static problem happened as much until I swapped the stock cartridge with the new Denon model. Is it possible the pressure I've applied could have something to do with creating more static than normal?

This also didn't really happen at all when using my Audio Technica with a felt mat, in the exact same spot in the house.

LitHum05 likes this.
  7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I realize this thread is now over six years old. I asked that it be reopened because I am having the exact same problem. I have a Denon DP-1100 turntable that was matched to an AT95e cart. No problems to report. Except that I wanted an upgrade. I installed a Denon DL-110 cart. Should be a perfect match, right? Well, I started experiencing static with the mat clinging to the record after every side. Members have been helpful on another thread but they think it has nothing to do with the new cart. Yet, that’s the only change I made. I reinstalled the AT95e just to check. Sure enough, no static again. So, did you ever resolve your issue?

Or, can anyone else help with ideas? The static is especially bad with new 180 gram pressings (mono Beatles, etc.). The sound quality is still better than the AT95e.

8. GentleSenator

i actually ended up moving on to a couple different carts with the Denon TT: Shure & AT and i suffered none of the static problems that i did with two different DL-110 carts. i now use an AT TT full-time.

9. LitHum05

Do you know if the tone arm on my Denon DP-1100 is about the same weight as your old Denon? For your Denon tt, what was comparable to the Denon DL-110 but without the static? Thanks.

10. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

11. GentleSenator

i don't know about the weight, sorry mate! if you're asking about which cart was comparable, none i've tried were, really. to me that cartridge was something special in terms of soundstage.

12. LitHum05

It is a great cart. But the static problem paired with that table (a Denon, no less) is so annoying. I like my tt and don’t want to switch out yet. I wish I could find a good cart for it without breaking the bank.

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. LitHum05

Well, for me it turned out to be the screws on the head shell mount. I’d only tightened them by hand and so there was a lingering grounding issue I couldn’t identify. The screw driver made them extra snug. All’s well that ends well, I suppose. :rolleyes:

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.