Help with MC Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spsesq, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident Thread Starter

Aluminum stock Re-tipping is $200. Sapphire with mass contact line stylus is $299. Ruby with nude contact line stylus is $300. Ruby plus optimized nude line stylus is $350. Boron with nude contact line stylus is $450.

With what I paid for the cartridge, I could get the boron and it's still costing me less than a new stock aluminum 10x5.

So, whatever I do is a no brainer. I just want the one that is most forgiving as I don't want the same surface noise issues as I have with the 2M Black on older or less pristine albums but I still want great sounding music from the cartridge. So if the aluminum plays less surface noise or the sapphire does, then that's where I'll go. I am now only concerned since you broke your sapphire cantilever so easily it makes me think aluminum is the way to go.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Fyi to others that may be looking for 10x5, there is a new one (according to ad) on usaudiomart for the last couple weeks for $450. The person is in Hawaii and says he got it a few months ago and hasn't used it. Not my ad and not my recommendation, just a fyi.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I can't say which one is going to be the most forgiving to SN and I would guess it to be equal. All of it is going to be more relaxed than the 2mb.

I can tell you that my ruby was like a very thin piece of fishing line and a good bit longer than the stock boron cantilever on my Lyra. It looked fragile and I babied it as much as I could for fear of breaking it. I'm sure it was just bad luck but I would only go with aluminum or boron as a result.

4. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I hear you on the SS cantilevers looking fragile. The sapphire cantilever on my Zephyr MIMC Star is tiny! It's actually hard to see in some light. I haven't had any problems so far, but I am super careful with it! Hey, at least the re-tipping is reasonable if it breaks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.