Help with MMF 2.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Yea! I'm glad you got it worked out. I went home last night and found my counterweight set just like yours, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I then went looking for my manual but all my paperwork wasn't handy due to painting the room recently, so I was no help.

So i'm curious now, does the (Shure) tracking force gauge offer any advantage to just dialing in manually?

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Going from my experience last night, it's way more accurate. :thumbsup:

And like Damián says above, you can use it to dial-in the sweet spot for your cart.

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Glad to hear you got it up & running. One thing I would like to say is that the Shure gauge is not very accurate, it's better than using no scale at all but after having my P3 cart. VTF set with a Winds gauge I checked it with my Shure and I had to go a bit beyond the actual VTF spec. for my cart.
    Now that I know what that number is, I can pretty accurately set VTF with my Shure scale. IOW, if you can have someone set VTF with an accurate digital scale, you can then find what that precise measurement should be on the Shure gauge. :)

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm glad it's working well for you now Keith, but you shouldn't measuure VTF with a Shure gauge placed on top of a record, whether you care about the record getting damaged or not. Doing so only makes the measurement you're taking less accurate since you're then measuring with the scale up too high relative to where the diamond would be sitting while playing a record. It would be different if the VTF measurement was taken at the very bottom of the base of the Shure scale, but it's not. The height of the base of the scale & then the level you place the stylus on, combined with the height of the record it's sitting on makes the measurement less accurate. But if it sounds good...

5. CardinalFang

That makes sense. The only reason I did it was because the instructions presented it as an option... not going so far as to recommend it, but just saying that it could be done.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

IIRC, doesn't that gray box it comes in show a picture of the gauge sitting on a record?

7. CardinalFang

Yes it does.

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

This must be a Buckeye-related problem, then. :laugh:

Just kidding!! :D Glad it's sorted out. Me or anyone else could have showed you this in two seconds flat...in person, but trying to describe it via a written message without any visual clues is a tough one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.