Help with my obsessive search please -

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cafeintegral, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cafeintegral

cafeintegral Active Member Thread Starter

Long time reader, first time poster here, needing advice.

I am looking for a DAC recommendation, I've done tons of reading and research and can likely afford to audition two of these with the manufacturer's generous policies. A good DAC is important to me, and allowing some room for it to grow with the system is nice, though I dont see my system taking a quantum leap any time in the 5 year plan. I undersatnd the hype/snake oil and "science" angles and really I'm looking for a sound investment that is generously featured and will keep me happy and content.

Must Haves:

-Optical IN -

Bonus: Gain/Volume Control

Brief system breakdown:

Airplay to Airport Express or AppleTV optical out into DAC -

- From here I would run it into one of two amps: A Sansui AU5900 that is sounding great, or an AU317 - which was just recapped and reconditioned, also sounds great with some room for improvement once it's done burning in. This feeds to a pair of Cambridge SX-50's - nothing too crazy.

Generally, I like the sound the Amps give me with my table, and I often use the Loudness curve since quiet ambient listening is what I use during the work day. When turned up I either prefer a flat curve, or a touch of EQ sometimes adding/removing bass or adding/removing treble.

On to the suspects:

In the sub-$200 region:

Audioengine D1

In the sub-$300 ranks:

Emotiva XDA-2

DACMagic 100

In the about $400 rank:

Cambridge DACMagic Plus - Available for about $420

Schiit Bifrost - $349 with Uber costing $419, but still in the same ballpark

NAD D 1050 - Can swing one for about $405

Peachtree DAC itX - $400

I understand that this last category is a bit more volatile, since the pricing is more attractive that their retail and makes them. They also may stand to be a considerable jump. Then again, the Emotiva retailed at $400 when it launched.

Anyways, your advice will be greatly appreciated, as it's been tough really nailing this down. I am thinking of test driving a couple of them, and retunring the other. Would rather NOT spend the $400, but if its worth it for a long time, then I might as well. But if say the D1 is enough, then let's be honest.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I have direct experience with the Bifrost (USB + Uber) and the DACMagic Plus. I like both, but I think the Bifrost sounds better. Not way better, but better. But, the Cambridge has a gain control, which is in your feature wish list. One thing that you may or may not care about: the DACMagic Plus will take a 176.4kHz stream from the S/PDIF only, not the USB, which I think is odd.

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

http://www.teac.com/product/ud-h01/

It's currently on Amazon at $250.

It DOES NOT have a volume control, except for its headphone socket.

I had this DAC for a headphone system using usb in, so I can't comment on its optical in. The headphones were HD800s, very revealing, and I enjoyed the sound. I bought a much more expensive DAC which is better but the TEAC represents good value I think. The headphone socket is also remarkably good.

I should add though that nothing beats auditioning so I wouldn't hesitate in trying out the two you can.

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I also vote for the Bifrost.

5. RPguy

RPguy New Member

You are fighting a losing battle. I also used apple TV to optical outlet into a Peachtree Dac itx into my Yamaha receiver. There was no difference in sound quality then running from my apple TV into my yamaha. This was the recommended setup by Crutchfield and Peachtree. I don't pretend to understand the details but apple TV is the bottleneck in the system. Somehow it limits the data running through it. At the suggestion of an audio engineer, I by passed apple tv by running itunes from a lap top and hardwiring it to the dac itx. The sound was incredibly good. Peachtree begrudgingly agreed that apple TV limited the sound quality. The Peachtree is a fine product but not in their suggested setup with apple tv. My problem is that my music source is remote of my stereo. I then tried the audioengine d2 wireless dac. Big promises but the sound was better from my apple tv. Outside of moving my stereo or computer so they can be hardwired, i'm still looking for an answer to improve the sound quality.

6. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Hopefully they will release an updated Apple TV with better sound capabilities although I won't hold my breath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.