Help with needle replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BeethovenMeetBrian, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeethovenMeetBrian

BeethovenMeetBrian New Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone I recently got a technics sl-q300 and it has no needle. Im new to the whole vinyl scene and know very little. I am searching online for a needles and I found a website that carries what I think I need. I have three questions about it though. If my cartridge has never been replaced should I replace that? Also does it matter if its not the same brand? Lastly can I use any kind of replacement needle and it would work? Thanks

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Make sure your cart has the right tracking force and listen to it. Do you like what you hear ? If not time to replace the stylus (needle) or get a new cart&stylus. As long as it is a MM (moving Magnet) it does not matter which brand you buy. Could be (for example a few tried & tested carts for way under 100 bucks) an Audio Technica AT 95 or a SHURE M44, Ortofon 2M Red or a Sumiko Black Pearl just to name a few I like...the list goes on ..

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Your SL-Q300 uses what is called a P-mount or T4P type of cartridge. Unlike the cartridges referred to above, a P-mount cartridge simply plugs in to the front of the arm. If you want to replace the entire cartridge, you will need to buy a P-mount type.

It would be helpful to know what type of cartridge is on there now. Replacing the stylus - not the entire cartridge - may be all that's necessary.

All needles are definitely not the same. All needle sellers aren't either. The more information you supply, the more helpful we can be.

Happy trails,
    Larry B.

4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I might be needing a new cart & needle soon for my Audio Technica turntable, should I get a AT 95 or a SHURE M44.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.