Help with speakers: B&W or KEF or...?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Wouldn't Focal 936 be too much for my room and/or for my Parasound Halo Integrated with 160W at 8 Ohms?

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

This is generally how i felt about most B&Ws and Focals I've heard, including the Aria 936. Most of the B&Ws I've auditioned have been in dealer's rooms, with their gear, so there's that. The 936s still sounded this way powered by the Halo Integrated.

The Halo can easily drive the Focals. It gets a bit warm doing so, but that's partially because of its class A bias.

I'm thinking you might prefer the KEFs or something completely different from the common suspect tower speakers. "Color" is a term I tend to associate with less contemporary designs, such as Devores, Harbeths, Spendors, Vandersteens, AN... The KEFs have some of this but still might be too analytical. As for common tower speakers, I found that Klipsch and Wharfedale also have a larger "color" palette.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

"Too much for my room" is one of those myths, except when it's not. To try and make that sound more sensible, I think what sometimes happens to make people say that is that some rooms, especially smaller ones, may reinforce some bass notes a lot more. A smaller speaker, with less bass, may actually flatten things. Or, like a buddy of mine, some people visually don't want something so large. From your description, your total space is not tiny, so I would be surprised if it was a problem. As for the amp, are you asking if somehow that will be "too much power" for the room? It doesn't matter, always fine to have extra unused power, it doesn't hurt anything.

punkmusick likes this.
  4. punkmusick

Focal's specs says Recommended amplifier power would be 50 - 300W. I meant asking if the Halo being 160W and not even closer to 300W would be enough power for these speakers.

5. punkmusick

Now I'm trying the 702 s2 too.

Now we're talking! I was afraid that those tweeters would sound even brighter but not at all, the music is smooth, detailed, balanced, big soundstage, pleasant, non fatiguing, sound fantastic with every music I tried so far being it a record or digital from Suicidal Tendencies to Amy Winehouse.

It's a big jump in price from $2500 to $4500 compared to the 704. Almost twice the price but I'd say the sound quality may surely be two times better.

I think I found my speakers but now I need to rob a bank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Pythonman likes this.
  6. punkmusick

Thank you all, I don't need further testing and will buy the 702 s2. I won't let these speakers leave my house.

timind, GyroSE and pdxway like this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

So the first cut you'll be playing after purchase is Bankrobber by the Clash ? Enjoy, it's only money...

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Does the 702 have different tweeters vs the 704?
    I would have thought the top end would be about the same. Maybe the added mid or bass capabilities of the 702's provide a better balance.
    Either way, it's great that something has hit the spot .
    Achieving that is hard

9. punkmusick

Yes, I believe that too, the bigger mid drive and the three bigger bass drivers probably make a big difference.

Tweeters are the same but the 702 has a separated solid body tweeter housing on the top.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That separate tweeter makes a difference.
    When I listened to B&Ws 3 years ago (CM10?) it had that style of tweeter, the model below did not.
    It was definitely better

punkmusick likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

tannoy xt6 or spendor a5 if you must have a floorstander.

12. punkmusick

Thanks, I already made up my mind and bought the B&W 702 S2.

Pythonman likes this.
  13. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Having seen but not listened to the 702 S2 in person, they are fantastic looking. Do they let the low frequencies come through well? How have they done since breaking in? Thanks.

14. punkmusick

I think they're great. I love them. Detail, air, space, pleasant, and at the same time strong.

Pythonman likes this.
  15. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

4011021, I know you said the 704s2 were a bit too bright and analytical. How do the 702s fare in that department? I'm looking for new speakers and want to avoid anything bright and harsh.

16. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Congratulations! Enjoy! :cheers:

punkmusick likes this.
  17. punkmusick

Not bright at all in my system and in my room.

The Pinhead and corduroy like this.
  18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Sometimes, you just have to roll the dice :cool: . Whatever you get, you will convince yourself you've made the best choice. :D

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats on your new speakers.

20. canstoog

canstoog Well-Known Member

B & W are usually great.

21. The 702 s2 sounds great. Not too bright, nice bass and midrange but you need to give them a good 75- 100 hours to break in.

And play with positioning. I like them slightly fanned out from direct triangle to sweet spot chair.

[​IMG]

punkmusick and SteelyTom like this.
  22. Khrispone

Khrispone Member

Hey guys. I might be one notch down on my spending, but I just got the b&w 603 towers. Had them for almost a month to make sure they were token in enough, and they were fantastic! However. I just swapped them for KEF Q750. And I’m getting a lot more musical bass and details that were just missing from the bowers and Wilkins sound signature. I’m literally listening to sounds and positional audio like never before! These uniQ drivers are AMAZING! I do run an SVS PB2000 pro sub with them. And the sound integrates SO CLEAN! I play music and the instruments sound lifelike and 10 times better at low or high volumes

23. Khrispone

Khrispone Member

Broken in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.