Help with which component to upgrade for audio system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shim, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shim

Shim New Member Thread Starter

I've been with the same system for a few years, and looking to improve fidelity. Listening mainly to lps, and currently have:

pro-ject debut III with ortofon 2M red cart
    NAD PP2 phono stage
    NAD C352 amp
    PSB alpha t1 speakers
    (Cables are all very generic)

It's a pretty basic system, with probably a lot of room for improvement. Where to go from here? Also, any suggestions for an entry level cd player? Any (serious) suggestions for a (modest) improvement would be grateful. Thanks

2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Have you looked at room acoustics and speaker placement? I would suggest that first before anything else....

For a Universal CD player (except no blu-ray) I suggest a used Denon 3910 for less than $200. I have one and chose it over the Oppo's (83, 95) that were auditioned...to me it just sounds more musical...

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Would be changing the stylus after 2 years anyway, so 2M Blue would be a start IMO. (Numerous threads on the improvement over the Red)

CD player (new) Onkyo C-7030

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

For significant improvement of the sonics for not much money check out the Signal Cable Company Silver Resolution phono and component interconnects.
    http://www.signalcable.com
    The 2 meter lengths are only $79 per pair. I learned of them via several forum posts and thought "why not try?". Well the first time I heard a record after the switch I let out a big "Wow!".

For speaker cable the bargain priced monoprice 12 gauge made a noticeable difference in the sound quality as well.

I'll also second the Onkyo C-7030 CD player if CD only is desired.

Last, you might consider a high output moving coil cartridge instead of a moving magnet like you have now. To my ears it's a more natural and warmer sound. A cartridge like the Denon DL-110 is an excellent value with very nice sound. I used one for a year until my higher end cartridge got repaired. I recently purchased a MM magnet cartridge, the Clearaudio a Virtuoso Wood Ver.1 that I got a great deal on as an experiment to compare to the MC, and for me the preference for MC over MM was very clear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  5. Shim

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated

6. I noticed big improvements when I upgraded my phono preamp and my cartridge. I think those changes would be more noticeable than a cable change- at least they were in my system. Your NAD phono can be improved upon I think. It depends on your budget. I picked mine up second hand from the Canuckaudio site which may work for you as you also live in Canada. I had the 2M Red and changed to Audio Technica. I have heard many good reviews of the 2M Bronze as well.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I agree on the stylus. I've had one of the NAD phono stages and I think they are very good for the cost. I agree on the cables, but would not go crazy. BlueJeansCable makes nice stuff. Not overpriced and can make the move as you upgrade later.

8. Is there a specific area that you think needs improvement? What are your priorities in listening? What part of your system are you happiest with? What is the size of your room?

jordanb87 likes this.
  9. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I also have an entry-level system and was talking with my local dealer this last weekend about this very topic of which component to upgrade and how to distribute upgrade dollars throughout my system.

For vinyl playback, he suggested always starting as close to the LP in the chain of playback as possible. That means cartridge (or stylus) before phono pre-amp, amp, or speakers. After giving it some thought I can see his point. So perhaps you might try upgrading your cartridge? The Ortofon 2M Bronze gives you the best stylus for the price and has gained a lot of fans around the forum. I'd also second the DL-110, which I've had for 2.5 years and punches above its price point.

10. Shim

Listening mostly to classic rock and alternative/indie. The listening 'area' is a part of the finished basement, probably 15'x12' . I have been quite happy with most of the components- I really like the turntable. There seems to be a certain 'harshness' to the sound at louder volumes. Maybe an improvement to the warmth or clarity (crisp vocals) is what I am trying to improve on. I think I may opt to try the MC cart, as others have suggested.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

I agree with the stylus upgrade to Blue. Cheapest most bang for the buck upgrade. As long as your cables are in decent shape spending 100s on them will net you the smallest, if any improvement. Assuming you're not using a junk interconnect for the TT. If you are then grab a decent Phono Interconnect with the stylus. Instead of a CD player I'd look at getting an inexpensive DAC like a Dragonfly or a Peachtree and see what computer audio can do for you. If you have a laptop I believe you'll definitely get more for your money with the DAC. Plus you can burn your CDs into FLACs and take lots of music anywhere you go. Oh and grab the Media Monkey or JRiver software. So for about 400-600 bucks you can do a lot.

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I personally wouldn't go down the MC cart on the Project. I think you might get a better return on investment by looking elsewhere.

You might be driving the amp too hard if you're finding it harsh? NAD's C352 isn't a shrinking violet, so I wouldn't expect it to distort in a hurry unless those speakeres are very difficult to drive (doubt that) or you're hammering the volume. I don't know the speakers, but perhaps you can experiment with repositioning slightly? Modest toe-in or outwards can make a big difference. Likewise shifting them back or forwards or closer together or wider apart will change what you hear.

My take would be address the speaker issues first, then look at a different cartridge, but not MC yet. A good MM would be a better option - Audio Technica AT440MLa being one, or Goldring 1012GX another. Two very different but very musical sounds. I suspect the latter might be better for your tastes, but the AT is a killer tracker for the money.

13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

You will not get better advice than this.

theron d likes this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think I agree with Brother_Rael on that.

Colin M likes this.
  15. Shim

THANKS for all the advice. I did install a denon dl-110 mc stylus and....wow- it sounds amazing! Crisp, clear, detailed, (and seems louder (at the same vol) than the MM cart- I guess that has to do with its relative high output for an MC cart) A marked improvement over the 2M red IMO. I am going to do a little more experimenting with the speaker placement too, and maybe tweak a few other things along the way. BTW, I still have the original metal platter I am using with the pro-ject TT- I read that this is not compatible with the MC cart because of its magnet; but it does sound great. Any comment on this?

utahusker likes this.
  16. Shim

What did you upgrade to from your Nad phono?

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good for you. All the suggestions in the world are no substitute for auditioning.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

What is your rack situation? Are you stacking things? There might be some room for improving things there.

19. Shim

Having trouble posting jpg; but no components are stacked on one another. top shelf is TT, 2nd shelf is Nad (no room really to stack), 3rd is just small phono stages (lots of room) and bottom (4th) is empty.

bmoregnr likes this.
  20. Hey Shim, I missed your question earlier. I had a Cambridge Audio P651 and changed to Simaudio LP5.3RS. It was a big change imo but the P651 was solid value and I was happy with it until I heard better ones. A hazard of the hobby I think...
    I'm glad you like the new Denon. I've read a lot of praise for it. Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.