Hendrix 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheq, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The record store owner had sealed copies of the three titles, but he had one that was open, so I asked to see it, Deadwax had MOV????? (can't remember the numbers) and no BG in the deadwax! I was just about to pull the trigger on Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland and Axis: Bold As Love, thank God I didn't!

JG

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

There isn't one!

The stereo copies of AYE / ABAL / ELL have not been mastered by Grundman. This was long established elsewhere on the forum.

Al_D, E.Baba and James Glennon like this.
  3. James Glennon

Thanks for the clarification. So who cut the 2010 stereo analog LPs?

JG

4. Gordon Johnson

5. James Glennon

Thanks for the link, really interesting, it will definitely keep me busy over the winter months!:goodie:

JG

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  6. Sheq

Sheq New Member Thread Starter

Yeah, as has been said, it's the QRP, 200gm ones that are BG - http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/60909.htm

7. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find opinions on the black friday RSD release of Burning Desire. I am thinking about picking up a copy. I have tried using the search function w/ no luck, but find it hard to believe there hasn't been some post-rsd discussion of this release. If anybody could direct me to a review/discussion of this release I'd really appreciate it.

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I hope I'm not wrong, or adding confusion, but my US-version psychedelia/yellow cover 2014 Legacy Stereo, analogue "Are You Experienced" (200g, QRP etc) is mastered by Bernie Grundman. Anyway, that's what the label, Discogs and the QRP website say. Barcode 88843-05985-1-5. I got mine on Amazon UK or EBay, through a US third market trader.

My RSD 2014 Stereo Legacy Monterey Live is also Bernie - as in Sheq's post.

On the other hand, my Stereo Legacy Axis and Ladyland albums (I think 2010 without checking in detail) are not BG, but were mastered by "Jimi's Original Engineer". They sound good too.

If you stay with the Legacy, 180/200g's, analogue, QRPs you should be able to get BG's for AYE and Monterey, unless the above is wrong. If you are looking at shop copies, the gold and purple stickers on the wrapping have the details, if you don't have barcodes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

All this fuss about reissues and such! It's a bit fascinating of course and I have to admit to having a lot more than just the studio albums but if the first three and "Machine Gun" from B.O.G. (as well as memories of shows) were all I had, I would not feel in the least bit deprived.

10. Gordon Johnson

All clearly detailed already but here we go again .....................

Does your AYE 2014 have BG in the dead wax? I don't think it does but please check.
    The sticker detail appears to be inaccurate btw on a number of records.
    As an instance, the US and EU Monterey pressings both have the BG on the sticker. The EU pressing is not a BG.

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks. You have obviously made a detailed study of this. My Monterey is an EU pressing. The matrix details are as shown on Discogs, and don't reference BG, though Discogs says his facilities did the mastering. I don't mind as I like the sound of my copies, particularly AYE, but it's a bit much when the Hendrix estate, Discogs and QRP are seemingly getting it wrong, and arguably misleading people. Hey Ho. So who did master them if it wasn't BG ?

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

So when do we get the super mammoth deluxe sets of these studio albums like every other artist seems to put out these days.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have an MCA Axis on vinyl. Don't see anything about "Back To Black" on it. Sounds like crap. Avoid at all costs. The later Legacy pressings are great.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, it's a scandale that Experience Hendrix didn't get this together! They re-released the core albums a while ago and the only "bonuses" were anecdotic little documentaries. Those three albums deserve a purple box type package for each one!

dino77 and John Fell like this.
  15. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I'm with Gordon.
    Wrong sticker and no deadwax details. Showing up all over the place.
    BG does good work but unless it's signed I'm not buying.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Interesting. My MCA is B2B issue.
    I just sat with all the AXIS vinyl I have [well in truth I'm still in the process] and done [doing] a track by track comparison. I have excluded the box sets so far that have this title included. That the MCA B2B and Legacy [2010] sound the "best" to my ears is telling. That there are minor issues with the MCA [mastering differences] that leave the Legacy as the better over all purchase is telling.
    I have used 11 pressings [a couple on loan from a friend] including my original Track Records pressings, Backtrack, various Polydor's, Barclay's and even a Karossell German pressing for this.

The same process will be done with AYE and ELL in time. what fun!!

Dhreview16 likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Does B2B appear somewhere on the cover or label?

18. Gordon Johnson

This copy came contained in a clear thick plastic slip sleeve. On the plastic sleeve it has two stickers.
    Top left, a round sticker simply stating ALL ANALOG PRESSING and MCA 11601
    Bottom left, a square sticker with the Back to Black logo, 60th Ann' issue and a little bit of other info.
    If I get chance I will take a pic and include this on the web site.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Go Gordon go!

20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Agree on all the fuss, (though I have the 2010 Legacy vinyl, cds, etc...haha)
    But I've got to say, I'd need just more than the 3 studios and Machine Gun.

All that historic live stuff from Monterrey to Berkeley...
    And I'm a big fan of the posthumous stuff, the direction he was heading in.
    I just couldn't go that far.

Brian Lux likes this.
  21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What you describe is exactly what is on my 2-LP B2B MCA Are You Experienced, but none of that is on my MCA Axis, and I bought it new. Thanks.

So I'm thinking that there was a B2B MCA Axis and a non-B2B MCA Axis.

23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I definitely like some of the posthumous stuff as well but, despite the (hopefully) well intended efforts of McDermott and Eddie Kramer, none of the albums patched together work very well for me as a whole- only selected cuts like "Angel", "Drifting" and a few others. But Jimi would not have released "First Rays of the New Morning Sun" as it stands. In any case, no complaints other than, like all his fans, I wish he had lived longer to see their completion.

Efus likes this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

We agree on the Legacy as being the best for this title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.