Hendrix 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheq, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I believe George Marino mastered these.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

This is exactly what annoys me about stickers on EU pressings, they clearly give the same information as the US pressing, but it is abundantly clear they are not the same. Another example is the Metallica reissues of a couple of years ago. The same sticker on the EU pressings ''Cut by Bernie Grundman'' which they clearly weren't.

I've been burnt too often now to bother with a lot of the reissues and I first check here to get clarification about certain EU reissues I am interested in.

JG

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

EH appear to have moved past this and are now issuing the EU 's the same as the US pressings. RB and COL are the recent examples.
    Though there are still differences between them ........................... paper sleeves for the EU [WTF is that about], 180 grm EU against 200grm US ETC.

4. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

I have had several conversations with Jon McDermott and one with Eddie Kramer about releasing the First 3 actual Hendrix projects Are You, Axis and Electric out as surround sound 5.1 cd/Blu Ray discs and have been told they are not comfortable messing with Jimi's legacy....Sure would be interesting...

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

All I want for Christmas is the 3 Experiened LP all newly remaster by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio

Jerry James and Lonson like this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Could we be treated to a "War Heroes" reissue as well?
    "Loose Ends" is maybe the last 'true' posthumous album.
    After that, it was Alan Douglas-time for everyone.

7. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

[QUOTck60s, post: 13466934, member: 8453"]I have had several conversations with Jon McDermott and one with Eddie Kramer about releasing the First 3 actual Hendrix projects Are You, Axis and Electric out as surround sound 5.1 cd/Blu Ray discs and have been told they are not comfortable messing with Jimi's legacy....Sure would be interesting...[/QUOTE]
    They didn't messed with Jimi's legacy before , then ?

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Are You Experienced is the fake stereo version of the mono mix (bass in one channel, treble in the other) and Axis is the alternate stereo mix. These are the only mixes that were available in Europe outside of France & UK, until CDs came out (which is rather amazing), my first LPs bought in the late eighties here in Sweden were like this, so it is the sound I grew up on.

dino77 likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think the first 3 LPs that were recently remastered sound fine the way they are.

ODShowtime and Gordon Johnson like this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Thanks!

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Hold on. I know this isn't recent, but... Big mistake if you get rid of the B2B AYE. It is excellent and wonderful. 'Johnny Vinyl', can you say why you would recommend this to 'RhyeKing77'?

12. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

According to Discogs, and the sleeve of Are You Experienced, it's Marino's mastering on the stereo MOV releases and the 2015 Legacy's which still have the MOV cat number in the runout. No Sterling stamp though, and the RI matrix number seems to indicate that these are the 2nd/3rd cuts by RI themselves. What are the chances that MOV / RI cut them from Digital files of Marino's master? Or, perhaps, they were supplied with un-marked second cut laquers for processing?

I have Axis and AYE. Axis is fine, no problems. AYE's first plate fine. AYE's second plate though... terrible non-fill issues I think on The Wind Cries Mary and the other tracks have it nearly as bad in places. It doesn't show up as a string of pearls or hazy patch though, it's more like the grooves look a bit harsh to the naked eye. I haven't cleaned these yet, but I have tried 3 different stylus / carts and none made much difference.

The MOV monos are definitely the Grundman cuts. I have the Axis and found the lack of bass a bit weird. Is that a thing with the mono mix tape or is it Bernie's mastering? I read the mono CD has even less bass.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

What mono CD?

14. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Good point. I was assuming the reviewer on Amazon had a mono CD version. I also seem to remember seeing one on Discogs, but I can't find it now, apart from this bootleg - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love (Mono + Bunus Tracks) » I guess they were comparing with a stereo CD, but which mastering I don't know.

Anyway, the iTunes stereo version definitely has bass, this MOV / Legacy definitely has bass, but the Grundman MOV mono has the bass turned down a lot. Is it the same on the Classic 2000 BG? Is it the same on the original UK mono? Anybody know?

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

There isn't any Mono Hendrix CDs appart from the odd Mono mix's on a few compilations & box sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.